Weirdest spell ideas you've ever had

Michael Hopcroft

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

In toehrwords, once the sepll is cast on you you WILL NOt part until death. Nor will you want to. further, there is no undoing the "binding" spell.... The spell does nothing to prevent disputes, arguments, fights, etc., between the couple. It does not enrue they will be especially "happy". But it does prevent the marriage from being broken up

I won't make any religous comments... i won't make any religous comments...

But just to give the other-side of the coin. A standard "hedge-priest' spell in my games is generally fertility/infertility. Fertility is used to bless the crops and assist couples looking for children.

The reverse is commonly used by young people who aren't.

Originally posted by Catseye

I won't make any religous comments... i won't make any religous comments...

But just to give the other-side of the coin. A standard "hedge-priest' spell in my games is generally fertility/infertility. Fertility is used to bless the crops and assist couples looking for children.

The reverse is commonly used by young people who aren't.

I blieve there is at least one thread on fertitlty magic on the board already.

And if you don't want to make any religoous comments, then by allmeans don't.:)

None of this is helping me work out the spell in HERO terms, however. perhaps we should ahve a separate topic, "Mage's Workshop", for people who have a spell efect in mind but are having trouble working it out in game terms to get help.

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

Dyson’s Stupid Strength

Transfer 1d6 of Int to Str 15

Increased Duration +1/2

lose one active point/5 minutes

Doubled End cost -1/2

MSR -1/2

Side effects -1/2 (3d6 drain of Int)

Costs End x2 -1/2

Gestures, Incantations -1/2

(says "duh" and smacks forehead)

RC:7, End: 4, AC: 22, MSR:-2

Admittedly it is a stupid way to get stronger, but when brains are needed more than brawn....

A few questions on that one. As its written, it seems that when you hit somebody with it, they lose Int, you gain strength, and then as a side effect of failure you lose more Int? Is that correct?

To me, the spell seems to be that the mage drains his Int to fuel Str. I had a few ways to do that:

A)

Transfer 1d6 (Int to Str), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (22 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)

RC: 9, End: 4, AC:22, MSR:-2

or

B)

Aid Strength 1d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Costs END (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (1d6 drain to Int, recovers when Str does; -1/2)

RC: 4, End: 2, AC: 15, MSR: -1

Other than that one, I like them. The horsecalling one might be useful to one of my players (or maybe more than one) in particular.

edited to put delayed return to 5 minutes. I am curious as to how you do the return rate - 1 AP per 5 minutes. Did you just change the return rate in houserules or some other way?

Originally posted by badger3k

A few questions on that one. As its written, it seems that when you hit somebody with it, they lose Int, you gain strength, and then as a side effect of failure you lose more Int? Is that correct?

To me, the spell seems to be that the mage drains his Int to fuel Str. I had a few ways to do that:

A)

Transfer 1d6 (Int to Str), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (22 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)

RC: 9, End: 4, AC:22, MSR:-2

or

B)

Aid Strength 1d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Costs END (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (1d6 drain to Int, recovers when Str does; -1/2)

RC: 4, End: 2, AC: 15, MSR: -1

Other than that one, I like them. The horsecalling one might be useful to one of my players (or maybe more than one) in particular.

edited to put delayed return to 5 minutes. I am curious as to how you do the return rate - 1 AP per 5 minutes. Did you just change the return rate in houserules or some other way?

I forgot the Self only lim and the calculatons are wrong, should be recover one point per minute. as a side note if you "screw up" the spell you get _really_ dumb and no strength bonus. Talk about feeling stupid.....

Here was one that was interesting, especially for a Low Fantasy setting, but never saw too much use:

Steal Breath: This spell prevents the victim from taking a deep breath, and from breathing deeply during exertion. The victim simply becomes more and more exhausted if exerting himself.

Supress REC (7d6 Standard Effect)

Extra Time (Delayed Phase), Incantations, Gestures (throughout--the attacker must continue to clench his fist while paying END to keep the victim's REC suppressed)

17 Active Points.

This suppresses completely 21 Character Points of Rec--covering the maximum REC for characters with NCM. It's a neat spell in some ways, in that the mage can use it to weaken an opponent for his allies, and even better, use it against an already tired opponent to shorten a combat, but it just never got used compared to a 7d6 EB. Bah.

Guest zarglif69

Here is I just made up.

Part Crowd: Sometimes, crowds are just too thick to pass through easily, if at all. That's what this spell amends. The mage simply makes parting motions with his hands, and people will step aside, giving him and his companions ample room to step through.

Mind control 6d6, AoE line (12" line, +1) (60 active) Set effect (outta my way! -1/2) gestures (-1/4) extra time full phase (-1/2) MSR (-1/2) (30 real)