Issue with multiple instances of shrinking on character

Wyrmy

I am working on a character with a VPP. The character has multiple combinations of powers which I have listed individually and then use custom powers embedded in complex powers to "list" what powers are used for each configuration. However, this means the character has multiple uses for shrinking. For some reason, the software seems to be allergic to this. I try and edit an instance and I get a blank page. I basically have to shut down the application and cross my fingers hoping that reloading will allow me to do the edit on the next try. I cannot even do the edit on a new character because the moment I put it on the old character it is inaccessible. 

Any ideas to fix this or work around it? 

I'm thinking, perhaps lengthening your VPP listing, but also simplifying the construct.  I've had issues with compound powers in frameworks at times, and in general I find how a compound power is laid out to be very disruptive.  So, instead, I use custom powers to "group" into what I mean to be a compound power.  Like this:

Cost    Powers
75    Variable Power Pool, 50 base + 50 control cost 
  1) Leopard: Speed and accuracy Real Cost: 0

2) +10 STR (10 Active Points) Real Cost: 10
  3) +2 SPD (20 Active Points) Real Cost: 20
  4) +2 OCV (10 Active Points) Real Cost: 10
  5) +2 DCV (10 Active Points) Real Cost: 10
  6) Rhino: Power and toughness Real Cost: 0 - END=0
  7) +15 STR (15 Active Points) Real Cost: 15
  8   Damage Negation (-3 DCs Physical, -3 DCs Energy) (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 30
  9) +5 REC (5 Active Points) Real Cost: 5

So, lines 1 and 6 are custom powers with a cost of 0...or alternately, you could set the cost to be the total cost of the parts.

Then, lines 2-5 define the "leopard" variant, emphasizing speed and combat;  7-9 are the "rhino" that's moving to the classic brick.

I also do this with, let's say, a mage-type...almost all his powers are in the VPP.  The VPP will be big enough to support multiple powers.  I'll use the custom powers to split things into sections...most commonly, offense, defense, movement, and potentially a section for special/miscellaneous.  This would the start:

188    Variable Power Pool, 150 base + 75 control cost - END=
0    1) -------  Attacks:  12 DCs, 1/2 END (75 Active Points) Real Cost: 75 - END=0
0    2) Blast 12d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) Real Cost: 75 [Notes: 12 DCs...PD, ED, AVAD Power Def] - END=3
0    3) -------- Movement (50 Active Points) Real Cost: 50 - END=0
0    4) Flight 28m, Position Shift, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (49 Active Points) Real Cost: 49 - END=0
0    5) Flight 20m, x16 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (44 Active Points) Real Cost: 44 - END=1

Here, line 2 is an *outline*...I'm not gonna list every SFX variation...for a broad swath of single-target, single-shot attacks.  I do note the AVADs under consideration.  I'd probably toss in another line for Flash...or not, as my default Flash is Sight and Hearing, and that's just 1 die less to get both.  I could do the same for Entangles, altho those are more complex, so might need specific listings.  

Then the movements...pick one.  There's a combat movement trying to avoid END costs, and a pretty decent non-combat move.  

Then there'd be a defenses section...altho, to be honest, since defenses *tend* to be less variable, I might just slap those into a list, outside the VPP.  In a list, I can apply a Common Modifier like Nonpersistent, that couldn't be a common modifier on the VPP.  This can help clean up the listing, IMO.   

In general?  I've also often found I prefer using a list, rather than a compound power.  Compound powers don't support Common Modifiers...they should, but they don't.  I'll just toss in "treat as Compound Power" sometimes, if it really matters, in the list's Notes.