Great Cthulhu

AlHazred

I've been working up Great Cthulhu. I could swear I saw him worked up somewhere, but I can't find it now. I started this because I realized we can estimate Cthulhu's potential maximum BODY. In the story "The Call of Cthulhu," the sailor Johansen rams Cthulhu with the steam yacht Alert going full speed. A tramp freighter steamship in the Pulp Vehicle Sourcebook has a STR of 95; and the top speed was probably around 10 knots (around 5 meters per second, or around a Movement of 30m for a SPD 2 yacht). If we assume those numbers, the maximum damage that could be done with a vehicle Move Through is 19d6 (for STR) + 5d6 (30m/6) = 24d6 damage. The maximum possible BODY from such an attack is 48; therefore, Cthulhu cannot have more than 48 BODY, and probably has less. I'm still toying around with other numbers. Like, his STR; could he lift a Pyramid? I think, probably not. Could he lift the Golden Gate Bridge? Maybe? The longer I think on it, the lower I think it actually is. It'll probably end up closer to 90. He's currently at 1307 points.

Villain - Cthulhu.pdf

Edited by AlHazred
Eliminate non-working BBCode.

It doesn't have the "make men insane when they see me" power, but that is probably a huge PRE attack. Some characters in the story do die of fright when he appears right on the spot.

And it should be noted that the writeup lacks space flight (at least 1 light year a year. It is immortal so he can take his time flying to Earth.)

But...we can always assume THIS writeup is Cthulhu's avatar (or asleep) form and that him fully awoken would be much more powerful than this.

And don't forget his mental class is Alien (and for him we suggest you use the optimal mental classes of minds for him and his kin.

Edited by Stanley Teriaca

8 hours ago, Stanley Teriaca said:

It doesn't have the "make men insane when they see me" power, but that is probably a huge PRE attack. Some characters in the story do die of fright when he appears right on the spot.

Victorian Hero has two mechanics, Slow Descent Into Madness and Slipping Sanity, worked out to simulate the effects both short and long term of looking at Cthulhu or any general losing your sanity sort of thing. It also provides for ways, both short and long term to recover, such as the Alienist. 

It's still a work in progress. I've allocated 1500 points and only used 1300! No PC at my table ever let's points sit around unused! 😝

I'm contemplating how fast the interstellar travel is. As you say, with immortality, it doesn't need to be fast at all.

I debated putting in a madness power, but I submit that in Lovecraftian Hero that's just a facet of the universe, not an individual's power. There are some additional options presented in Ken Hite's Adventures Into Darkness as well.