Taiwan's superheroes

Ghost who Walks

I just want to suggest that people shouldn't get too caught up by the differences in population.

Superbeings are wildcards. They are not distributed evenly, and individuals can have enough power to destroy/conquer the world.

It would really only take one decent sorceror (and his horde of demonic flunkies) to make this scenario plausible.

Of course, China's nukes might be a problem... And presumably they have their own supers, even if none of them have the same level of individual power as the Taiwanese Big Bad.

Alan

Since the Warlord and the War Machine seemed to be the least favorite group, I’m going to try and use them in my scenario.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11868

Scenario Rough Draft:

Introduction:

Doctor Kirby Lee was in a good mood. He had just been elected as the new President of Taiwan, and his party was already pushing through the changes that needed to be made. Running on the campaign of the threat that Mainland China posed and of the need for Taiwan to rebuild its alliances had won him a lot of votes. The money he had funneled into his political campaign from the pharmaceutical conglomerate he owned had gotten him more. It would be difficult to liberate the mainland, but not impossible. Smiling, he picked up his green telephone and began calling in his favors…

Pre-scenario Plot:

Using his connections with VIPER, and his pharmaceutical conglomerate, Doctor Kirby Lee has become President of Taiwan. Following that, he began a campaign to improve Taiwan’s relations with the world. Everything is not so clean about the Doctor, however. His pharmaceutical conglomerate manufactures a variety of medicines, as well as a number of “performance enhancers†used by VIPER. He has also given sanctuary to the international mercenary, the Warlord. Advanced weapons are quietly being manufactured, courtesy of the Warlord’s weapon designers. Contracts to create Taiwanese supersoldiers are given to his pharmaceutical conglomerate.

In public however, the elderly Doctor talks about his need for vigilance against the Mainland, and the need to continue to improve the nations defenses. An official para-military superteam, the “People’s Principles†is created. Dedicated to spreading nationalism, democracy, and popular sovereignty to the Chinese people, the Principles spend much of their time out of the country, helping various poor nations with natural disasters, and helping restore stability. This brings international support to President Lee’s administration.

Working through his friends in Viper, the Doctor begins spreading a web of intrigue through Southeastern China, concentrated in Hong Kong. Using foreign companies as centers, the companies begin to make their native employees more loyal to their employers than their leaders in Beijing. Experimental drugs which induce obedience are put into the cafeterias and water of these companies, products of Lee’s earlier experiments with VIPER. The drugs long term side effect…permanent sterility…is ignored. Connections are also established with various drug cartels in Southeast Asia, with agents of VIPER helping them transport cheap, illegal drugs into Mainland China. Most of these drugs are targeted at the Chinese army, and the younger generation. Within a few years, Beijing has a new Opium War on its hands, and begins cracking down. This crackdown causes resentment against the government by the majority, who know nothing of the drugs.

Scenario Begins:

(2 years after Lee’s election) Operating on an anonymous tip, the official Chinese Superteam, the Tiger Squad, raid a Hong Kong University in a search for drugs. Unknown to them (thanks to VIPER), that very night, the Taiwan Team, Peoples Principles, are present…giving a symposium on “Superpowered Ethics in the 21st Centuryâ€. When the Chinese government heroes start mass arresting the students, the Taiwanese heroes, who have spent the last several years helping restore democracy to various places in Africa, intervene. In minutes, a full riot breaks out, which quickly spreads throughout the city.

Agents of the Warlord, employed on rooftops, fire on crowds on both sides, making sure the Chinese Police are kept off balance, and that the crowds of people taking to the streets turn into mobs.

The long range teleporter on the Principles, Taiwan Maid, a vain and ambitious woman who resents her job of transporting emergency supplies as part of the Principles, is in President Lee’s pay, and delivers a (forged) letter to President Lee, supposedly from the Civilian Government of Hong Kong, begging for assistance (the real civilian leadership of Hong Kong has already been killed by the Warlords agents). With Taiwan’s superteam under fire, and claiming to his ministers that he wont allow another “Tiananmen Squareâ€, President Lee ‘reluctantly’ authorizes the deployment of the Taiwanese military. Aided by their new weapons (provided by the Warlord), the Taiwanese Air Force and Navy are surprisingly effective.

Getting the Heroes involved:

Right now, I am looking at getting the Heroes involved by having the Sorceress (or Sorceror) Supreme call upon the heroes. They will probably have been watching news footage of Hong Kong for several days now. She will inform them that Taiwanese commandoes have captured the Three Gorges dam, and are currently planting explosives to destroy it. They are doing this to delay a massive deployment of the Chinese Army, heading to Southern China. She begs for their help, citing the millions that will die in Southern China if the dam breaks. She will also hint that something “will be uncovered†if the dam is destroyed.

1. Members of the Principles

2. The Superheroes of Hong Kong (regarded as villains by the Chinese government)

3. At what stage China/Taiwan start using WMD, and how they will be neutralized

4. China Strikes back: raids on Taiwan by Chinese supers

5. Taiwans “Supersoldiersâ€

6. Exactly what the Chinese have hidden beneath (and behind) the three gorges dam. Some sort of mystical menace is most likely.

Comments are always welcome. J

Originally posted by assault

I suppose I had better point out the "knee-jerk anti-Americanism" in making VIPER a CIA backed (and in part _created_) outfit in its early days... :)

I got the idea from rereading first edition Champions. It just seemed appropriate to connect Green Dragon and VIPER. I made "Dr Lirby Koo" (Dr Kirby Liu in my universe) the founding head of VIPER. But, of course, he's dead, isn't he?

It also connects with Crusader's origin quite nicely, too.

I also have a bunch of VIPER/Triad types having been moving into Australia since the mid-90s. This provides an alternative source of opponents to the Eeevil New Zealanders. :)

And the homegrown Australian baddies of course...

Alan

Hey you know you Australians can't defeat an evil army of undead flightless birds.

Originally posted by lemming

Here's a list of villians Sam Bell wrote up:

• The Purifying Fire of Communism, consuming the decadent regimes of the past and lighting the way towards a brighter future for all workers
  • The great people of China, reaching the Peak of Human Achievement through correct application of Marxist principles
  • The Winds of Change, sweeping through the world, awakening every member of the proletariat to the great message of international communism
  • Correct Thought, guided by the wisdom of Man, free from the decadent weakness of the west
  • Neverending Progressive Movement towards the glorious goal of worldwide worker solidarity
  • The Iron Resolve of the working class, united against Western Imperialism

I'm in the midst of entering them into Hero Designer since there may be a china adventure in my game.

Hmmm, I was kind of eager to see them (since I don't have a copy of that Sam-binder), now I'm not so sure.