Tool to make Alternate NCM HDv2 Templates

Killer Shrike

I put up a web-based tool for making an HDT file for Hero Designer v2 yesterday here:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/RacePackageDeals/NCMExport/NCMExport.asp

The files it creates are intended to be used as a starting point for using the new functionality in HDv2 to open a Character on a custom Template, add powers, perks, skills, etc to that Character, and then "Save as Template" to create an improved Template that is kind of a Template and Prefab all rolled up into 1 file.

Originally posted by Fitz

When I hit the "submit" button, I persistently get a "document contains no data" alert.

I'm using Mozilla 1.5 in win2k

It works with IE Explorer version 6. I dont have Mozilla, so Im not sure what could be causing the problem. The file is sent to the browser as a UTF-8 formatted Binary Stream

Heres the code that ultimately drives the download once the file is created:

private function fnFLDL(path)

dim sFile

dim oFSO

dim oFile

dim oStream

set oFSO = server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

fnFLDL = false

Response.Clear

if oFSO.FileExists(path) then

set oFile = oFSO.GetFile(path)

Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=" & ofile.name

Response.ContentType = "application/octet-stream"

Response.AddHeader "Content-Length",ofile.size

Response.CharSet="UTF-8"

set oStream =server.CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")

oStream.Open

oStream.Type = 1

oStream.LoadFromFile(path)

Response.BinaryWrite(oStream.Read)

oStream.Close

fnFLDL = true

else

Response.Clear

end if

set ostream = nothing

set ofile = nothing

set oFSO = nothing

end function

Originally posted by Fitz

It's working fine for me now; it must have just been one of those mysterious internet gnomes screwing me around. I hate those little bastards.

Glad to hear it. Please let me know if you encounter any other problems -- I dont bother with check non IE-browsers for a variety of reasons ranging from not wanting the aggravation to the fact that 90% of the people that come to my site use some version of IE Explorer, and I cant really justify spending a lot of time to satisfy such a small percentage of people using other browsers (10% or so) on the off chance that some feature may not be supported.

I do know that IE Explorer on Mac (ver 5.5 IIRC, or thereabouts) has some difficulties with the cascading style sheets, and that Netscape on a Mac totally garbages the layout because I had an opportunity to browse the site once on a friends Mac, but c'est la vie.

• 3 weeks later...

Ed "KIller Shrike" Hastings wrote:

If people want seperate columns for Levelstart and NCM I suppose I could make it so.
I think it would be useful to have separate fields for NCM, but by default have them go up/down by the starting modifier like you have now.

I'm finding that sometimes it make sense to have the increase or the decrease of the NCM be a bit different than the modifier.

FWIW, right now, I'm playing with the idea of making the negative modifiers double reduce the NCM for some races -- e.g., Orcs and Ogres having a 6 INT is a -4 modifier, which by default give them a NCM of 16, but with double they get a NCM of 12 which really keeps them normally within the Low-Average-Very INT range (5-12) and makes it really rare for them to be "Highly" (13+) INT+.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there, but it would still be useful sometimes to be able to set the NCM apart from the modifier.

It's already a great time-saving tool, this would just make it even better.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/RacePackageDeals/NCMExport/NCMExport.asp

Thanks!