Monster/Race: Bugbear (Goblin Grizzly)

Hierax

Here's the 2nd Draft write-up on Bugbears (giant hairy Goblins):    http://www.hierax.com/hero/fantasy/grey/monster/bugbear.pdf        or http://www.hierax.com/hero/fantasy/grey/monster/bugbear.hdtBugbear (175 Point Warrior)

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
12 DEX 6
20 CON 20
14 BODY 8
8 INT -2
8 EGO -4
18 PRE 8
6 COM -2
7 PD 3
7 ED 3
2 SPD 0
10 REC 4
40 END 0
43 STUN 9
8" RUN41" SWIM-13" LEAP-1Characteristics Cost: 65
Cost Power END
3 Thick Tough Skin/Fur: Damage Resistance (3 PD/3 ED)
2 Large (8' Tall, 1.33x human): Knockback Resistance -1"
2 Long Arms: Stretching 1", Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (11 Active Points); (Only 1/4" Stretch) (-3), Always On (-1/2), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)
15 Fangs/Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6-1 (1d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points)
10 Throw Normally Unthrowable Weapons: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6-1 (1d6+1 w/STR), Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (20 Active Points); OIF (Focus - Weapons of Opportunity; -1/2), Limited Range (4") (-1/4), Range Modifer -1 at 3"-4" (-1/4)
6 Keen Senses: +2 PER with all Sense Groups
3 Darkvision: +4 PER with Normal Sight (4 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Counteract Darkness Modifiers (-1/2)
1 Darksight: Sight Group Flash Defense (2 points) (2 Active Points); Limited Power (Only vs. Darkness-based Attacks) (-1)
2 Stench Guard: Smell/Taste Group Flash Defense (2 points)
5 Discriminatory with Normal Smell
5 Tracking with Normal Smell
5 Stamina: Naked Modifier - on 20 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (5 Active Points)
1 Efficient Metabolism: Life Support (Sleeping Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week)
2 Thin Air Adapted Lungs: Life Support (END Per Minute) (Extended Breathing 1 END per Minute)
5 Disease Resistant: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents) (10 Active Points); 50% Immunity, Only 50% Effect From. (-1)
5 Poison Resistant: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents) (10 Active Points); 50% Immunity, Only 50% Effect From. (-1)
1 Pressure Resistant: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum) (3 Active Points); 50% Immunity, Only 50% Effect From. (-1)
2 Temperature Resistant: Life Support (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) (4 Active Points); 50% Immunity, Only 50% Effect From. (-1)
Powers Cost: 75
Cost Skill
8 +1 with All Combat
5 +1 with HTH Combat
4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
0 Acting 8-
0 Climbing 8-
2 +1 with Climbing
0 Concealment 8-
3 +2 with Concealment (4 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)
0 Conversation 8-
0 Deduction 8-
0 AK: Lair and Surrounding Territory 8-
0 Language: Bugbear (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
2 Language: Goblin (fluent conversation)
2 Language: Hobgoblin (fluent conversation)
2 Language: Orc (fluent conversation)
0 Paramedics 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
0 PS: Warrior 8-
0 Shadowing 8-
0 Stealth 8-
4 +2 with Stealth (50%)
0 Survival 8-
1 Tactics 8-
1 Teamwork 8-
1 Tracking 8-
0 TF: Custom Adder
Skills Cost: 35
Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features (and Social Limitation)- Bugbear: (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
5 Enraged: (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14-
5 Hunted: Humanoid Haters 8- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima - Bugbear
0 NCM: 30 STR, 22 DEX, 30 CON, 24 BODY, 16 INT, 16 EGO, 28 PRE, 12 COM, 13 PD, 13 ED, 4 SPD, 15 REC, 70 END, 75 STUN (Limit for buying at Normal Cost, x2 Above this up to ACM).
0 ACM (Absolute Characteristic Maxima): 40 STR, 32 DEX, 40 CON, 34 BODY, 18 INT, 18 EGO, 38 PRE, 18 COM, 26 PD, 26 ED, 8 SPD, 30 REC, 140 END, 150 STUN (Absolute Maximum Limit without Magical Enhancement).
0 Physical Limitation: Lifespan 75 Years = Old Age (Median) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing, Custom Adder)
5 Physical Limitation: Arcane Inhibition - Limited Ability to Learn Magic (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
5 Psychological Limitation: "Chaotic Evil" Tendencies (Stubborn, Greedy, Violent Temper, Alcoholic) (Uncommon, Moderate)
5 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Demi-Humans (Uncommon, Moderate)
5 Rivalry: Professional (Other Bugbears or Clans or Tribes of Bugbears), Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
5 Reputation: Fierce and Sneaky, 8-
5 Social Limitation: Bugbear, Not Part of Most Civilized Societies (Occasionally, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
0 Susceptibility: Pro- and Anti-Bugbear and Giant-Class Magics, 1d6 damage per Hour (Uncommon)
Disadvantage Points: 50

Base Points: 125Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 175

Height: 2.45 m Hair: Reddish-Yellow Fur Over Yellowish-Brown
Weight: 182.00 kg Eyes: Greenish White with Red Pupils
Appearance: Bugbears are large and very muscular (around 8' tall and 400 lbs). The skin of bugbears is light yellow to yellow brown - typically dull yellow. Their thick corse fur/hair ranges in color from lusterless tannish brown to brick red. Their eyes resemble those of a savage animal, being greenish white with red pupils., and they have large wedge shaped ears. A bugbear's mouth is full of long, sharp fangs, and its nose is much like that of a bear, with the same fine sene of smell. Thier tough hides and sharp claws also resemble those of bears, but they are far more dexterous. The odds and ends of armor they wear, as well as whatever cloth, skins, or hides they drape themselves in, tends to be ill-kept, dirty, and dingy.Personality: Bugbears have only two genuine goals in life: Food and Treasure. Prey and intruders are considered a valuable source of both. These extremely greedy creatures prize anything shiny, including arms and armor. They never miss an opportunity to increase their hoards through theft, plunder, and ambush. On rare occassions they parley with other beings if they believe something can be gained, but they are not skilled negotiators, losing their patience quickly if such encounters run overlong. They are sometimes found commanding goblins and hobgoblins, whom they bully mercilessly. Theses creatures survived primarly by hunting, and they eat whatever they can bring down. Any creature is a legitimate source of food, including monsters and even their own smaller kin. When game is scarce, bugbears turn to raiding and ambush to fill their stewpots.Quote:0e-RC.162, 0e-OoT; 1e-MM.12, 1e-DMG.40; 2e-MM.32, 2e-CBoH.21-22; 3e-MM.27-28; HM-HoB-v1.96-97; cf. HSB.40,97,104-105,134,165.Background: Bugbears are huge hairy goblins who operate equally well in bright daylight or great darkness. The biggest and strongest of the goblinoids, bugbears are even more aggressive than their relatives. They live by hunting any creature weaker than themselves. Although bugbears are clumsy looking and walk with a shambling gait, they are actually able to move very quickly and with great stealth, surprising opponents as often as not. They live for approximately 75 years.

Bugbears are like a sort of mixture of Hobgoblin and Grizzly Bear -- they aren't really, but it is an easy way to first think of them.

Powers/Tactics: Ambush or straight up combat, whatever it takes to get what they want, they enjoy it both ways.Campaign Use: Standard NPC Monster humanoid: the largest of the goblinoids, Bugbears are just slighly bigger and tougher than a Gnoll or Half-Ogre, but smaller and weaker than an Ogre yet in some ways they are more of a challenge than Ogres due to their sneakiness.

Takes an average of 2 hits from a 3d6+1K attack to kill, or 1 attack from 3d6K to STUN.

Variations

- Sub-Chief (1/12) = STR +5 (25 Total), DEX +1, CON +5, BODY +1, SPD +1, STUN +2, CSLs +2 with All Attacks, Better Equipment.

- Chief (1/24) = STR +10 (30 Total), DEX +2, CON +10, BODY +2, SPD +2, STUN +4, CSLs +2 with All Attacks and +1 with HTH, Damage Reduction 25% Resistant vs. PD and ED, Even Better Equipment.

- Witchdoctor/Shaman = up to 2nd level (20 Active Points) of Arcane Spells and up to 5th level (50 Active Points) of Divine Spells.

- Assassin/Theives: add Class Level abilities.

- Heroic Warriors: add in Fighter or Barbarian Class Level abilities.

- Females = Hobgoblins for combat purposes

- Children = Kobolds for combat purposes

- Greater Bugbear (Hackmaster HoB.v1.96-97) size in between ogre and hill giant = 10-11' Tall = 2 Growth Level Equivalents, 35 STR, 14 DEX, 35 CON, 8+2 HD = 20 BODY, INT 8-14 (instead of 5-10), +1 SPD, STUN Fig +22, +1rDEF (thicker skin/fur), Move 12" instead of 9" in D+D = as fast as man + height = 10" in Hero, CSL +2 All and +2 HTH, 25% Resistant Damage Reduction vs PD and ED.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I got a few comments.

Flash DEF (sight and smell)....is this necessary? Kinda cool, I just don't get it. I thought good smellers would be weaker against smell flashes.

+2 climbing for a total of 9-......say what :) Why not just buy the skill out right? I can understand with the concealment and I think the Stealth is meant to be the same as concealment, but the climbing seems wierd.

Very good write up BTW.

Comments on Feedback for Draft 2

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the comments and kind words! Helps keep me plugging away at it.

Flash DEF vs. Smell/Taste: I noticed that the various scum humanoids usually live in filthy conditions filled with all kinds of horrible stench that normal men would find hard to stomach, so it seemed like they should be resistant to putrid nausea/vomit inducing effects -- e.g., Stinking Cloud is one of my favourite low-level spell effects for disabling groups of opponents and I thought that it wouldn't feel right if these filth-dwelling creatures weren't at least partially protected against such things. I guess the Poison Resistance could cover it in a lot of cases. Basically, just something to give the race a bit more (or in this case less) flavour.

Flash DEF vs. Sight Darkness: I wanted creatures that dwell in darkness to be likewise less affected by Darkness attacks. To get the right feel for the race they need to come out of an area of effect darkness sight flash faster than light-dwelling races. When I do races like Winged Folk I'll be giving them Sight Flash DEF vs. Light-based attacks due to their exposure to the bright light of the sun.

Climbing: I was converting the 3e/D20 Skill bonuses (roughly half of the d20 bonus to get the HERO Bonus) and since Climbing was a standard "Everyman Skill" it got tacked on to that. I started another thread on Everyman skills to get some ideas of how other people are handling them, and after I review it and think it through properly I'll be revising the skills for my write-ups so that each race has it's own more appropriate "everyman" list. Basically, this version of the write-up is just a draft run through of the Skills.

New for Next Version:

- Add -1 DCV to Disadvantages due to Size = net 3 DCV (sorry, missed that in the rush to get 'something' posted).

- Better progression for Regular Bugbears, Sub-Chief, Chief, and Great Chief (Greater Bugbear), each will have their own write-up.

- Adding six-fingered/toed to Distinctive Features as rationale for using 12 as the base for a number system.

- Add in standard Equipment -- e.g., the arch-typical Huge Spiked Club/Mace (the non-chain version of the Morning Star).

- Blue Bugbear variant for the Land of Black Ice in the World of Greyhawk. Greater cold resistance ~7 rDEF and 100% Life Support Immunity vs. Cold but no Resistance to Heat and maybe Vulnerability to Heat/Fire and possibly a minor susceptibility to hot temperatures.

Anyway Thanks again, and I hope that this makes my write-ups "whys" a bit clearer.

I'll try to incorporate all feedback into the next version...

Originally posted by Eosin

Flash DEF (sight and smell)....is this necessary? Kinda cool, I just don't get it. I thought good smellers would be weaker against smell flashes.

I would think it would depend on the special effects of the flash. As Hierax mentioned, a Stinking Cloud would probably be less effective (dogs are great smellers, and have no problems with smells that make humans nauseous).

On the other hand, a Flash based on pepper or some other irritant might actually work better.