Musclebound/Obese

Outsider

More flavor rules for the forum's consideration

Musclebound :

The musclebound character's physique is more developed than his frame can realistically support, resulting in greatly reduced flexibility and an undue load on his cardio-pulmonary system. While it makes the character stronger, the added strength is of limited utility.

Game effects (2 levels maximum) :

+5 STR useable only to lifts, grab/hold, shove (offense & defence), counter encumberance, or crush. (no secondary stats)

-1 OCV in melee

-+20 Kg to Character Mass, carried as encumberance

Obese :

The obese character's physique includes a lot of extra fat, resulting in greatly reduced flexibility and an undue load on his cardio-pulmonary system. In game terms, it is the equivalent to musclebound, just without the STR.

Game effects (No upper limit) :

+2 STR Useable only to hold pinned opponents, or for shoves (offensive or defensive), no secondary stats.

-1 OCV in melee

+20Kg to Character Mass, carried as encumberance.

Musclebound is a 0 point option.

Obese is a -5 point option (per level)

Those are good. I really like the obese, but it seems that the musclebound could be open to abuse, depending on how the player designs the rest of his character. If a character bought a 20 str and then two levels of musclebound, he could lift 1600kg. That seems unrealistic. Maybe make it +2 STR to mirror the Obese. After all, if someone wants to be musclebound, they will likely already have a prodigious str. Of course, it's fantasy, so hey!

Keith "1 level of flab" Curtis

This was mostly in association with my linear lift rules, where lift = 10kg per str pip, no geometric increases.

So a character with 2 levels of musclebound and 20 str can only lift 300 kg (which is still a heck of a lot in a heroic game)

Combined with setting a hard maximum at 1.5x normal maximum, the best a character could do, liftwise, would be 400kg (30 str, 2xMusclebound)

What the extra encumberance really does, in the case of most characters with equipment on, is cost them an extra DCV/Dex roll/End per turn.

Getting 5 STR in exchange for losing 1 OCV (melee), 1 DCV, 1 Dex roll, and 1 End/turn (with appropriate Long Term End problems associated) doesnt seem like a really good deal to me, as it stands.

Originally posted by Outsider

This was mostly in association with my linear lift rules, where lift = 10kg per str pip, no geometric increases.

So a character with 2 levels of musclebound and 20 str can only lift 300 kg (which is still a heck of a lot in a heroic game)

Combined with setting a hard maximum at 1.5x normal maximum, the best a character could do, liftwise, would be 400kg (30 str, 2xMusclebound)

What the extra encumberance really does, in the case of most characters with equipment on, is cost them an extra DCV/Dex roll/End per turn.

Getting 5 STR in exchange for losing 1 OCV (melee), 1 DCV, 1 Dex roll, and 1 End/turn (with appropriate Long Term End problems associated) doesnt seem like a really good deal to me, as it stands.

Ah, I didn't read the linear lift thread. In that light it makes much better sense, and I agree, it doesn't sound like a good exchange. Certainly not one a power gamer would choose.

Keith "I can't think of something clever to put in here" Curtis

I read through the linear progression bit. Regardless, I would allow this, but remind the player about the "characteristic Maxima". A Str 20 character could buy Musclebound, but it would not be a 0 point option anymore. Plus, in my heroic campaigns, STR costs 1.5 points a pip. It'll get real expensive real fast.