The Slivers are Coming...

Stompy

I have a scene in a future game that requires the PC's to fight a hive minded race which they have never encountered. I want to talor the race after the Slivers in a card game I saw once called "Magic: The Gathering."

According to the card game, an individual Sliver has a single ability, but is otherwise weak. When other Slivers are nearby that have a different ability, they gain the ability of their fellow Sliver. AKA, if one can fly, they all can fly. If one is very strong, they all are very strong.

It goes withoug saying... you DO NOT want a bunch of these things near each other.

Anyone have suggestion on how to build such a creature?

For the "either you have it or you don't" powers, I'd recommend buying the power for each creature with the limitation "only in presence of enabling Sliver" (value based on how rare the enabling Sliver is).

For powers that stack (increased STR, damage, etc.), you could either buy the maximum possible value for each creature with a limitation as above, or you could buy it for the enabling creature only with UAA, AOE Selective, Continuous, Persistent, with a limitation "Selective can only be used to target all Slivers". Then buy Sense Sliver, only for use in targeting the AOE, at an 18- roll.

Technically, you could do AOE, "only vs. Slivers", but that's not really a Limitation.

You can give each sliver a power with a Usable-on-Others component (simultaneously), some kind of area effect (centered on the character lending the ability) and an "Only to other Slivers" limitation.

Technically by this method you may have to buy "selective" for the area effect, because taking the "only to other slivers" limitation would practically give you that for free. But then you wind up having to make an attack on each individual sliver.

Sounds more complicated than I like to make enemies in my games.

-OR-

I suppose you could give each of them ALL of the sliver powers. Each of them however has a limitation on all but 1 randomly selected power: "Does not function unless sliver with this primary power is present".

It means you're paying a bunch of points for powers you won't get to use very often. But it's mechanically easier in combat than the above method.

Originally posted by Blue

You can give each sliver a power with a Usable-on-Others component (simultaneously), some kind of area effect (centered on the character lending the ability) and an "Only to other Slivers" limitation.

Technically by this method you may have to buy "selective" for the area effect, because taking the "only to other slivers" limitation would practically give you that for free. But then you wind up having to make an attack on each individual sliver.

Sounds more complicated than I like to make enemies in my games.

I'd do it this way probably. Would be fairly easy to manage in play too if you just precut radii templates for the various sized radii and didnt over do it.

(I have a nasty Slivers deck in the current Online Standard environment as a matter of fact.)

Yeah, Slivers are a nasty Tribe, to be sure. My most hated Magic foe.

Here's a list of the little blighters, to aid in converting them:

acidic sliver - BR

Summon Sliver 2/2

Each Sliver gains "2, Sacrifice this creature: This creature deals 2 damage to target creature of player."

armor sliver - 2W

Summon Sliver 2/2

Each Sliver gains "2: This creature gets +0/+1 until end of turn."

barbed sliver - 2R

Summon Sliver 2/2

Each Sliver gains "2: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."

blade sliver - 2R

Creature - Sliver 2/2

All Slivers get +1/+0.

brood sliver - 4G

Creature - Sliver 3/3

Whenever a Sliver deals combat damage to a player, its controller may put a 1/1 colorless Sliver creature token into play.

clot sliver - 1B

Summon Sliver 1/1

Each Sliver gains "2: Regenerate this creature."

crypt sliver - 1B

Creature - Sliver 1/1

All Slivers have ""TAP: Regenerate target Sliver.

crystalline sliver - UW

Summon Sliver 2/2

Slivers cannot be the target of spells or abilities.

essence sliver - 3W

Creature - Sliver 3/3

Whenever a Sliver deals damage, its controller gains that much life.

heart sliver - 1R

Summon Sliver 1/1

All Slivers are unaffected by summoning sickness.

hibernation sliver - BU

Summon Sliver 2/2

Each Sliver gains "Pay 2 life: Return this creature to owner's hand."

horned sliver - 2G

Summon Sliver 2/2

All Slivers gain trample.

hunter sliver - 1R

Creature - Sliver 1/1

All Slivers have provoke. (When a Sliver attacks, its controller may have target creature defending player controls untap and block it if able)

magma sliver - 3R

Creature - Sliver 3/3

All Slivers have "TAP: Target Sliver gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of Slivers in play."

metallic sliver - 1

Artifact Creature 1/1

Metallic Sliver counts as a Sliver.

mindwhip sliver - 2B

Summon Sliver 2/2

Each Sliver gains "2, Sacrifice this creature: Target player discards a card at random. Play this ability as a sorcery."

mistform sliver - 1U

Creature - Illusion Sliver 1/1

All Slivers have "1: This creature's type becomes the creature type of your choice in addition to its other types until end of turn."

mnemonic sliver - 2U

Summon Sliver 2/2

Each Sliver gains "2, Sacrifice this creature: Draw a card."

muscle sliver - 1G

Summon Sliver 1/1

All Slivers get +1/+1.

plated sliver - W

Creature - Sliver 1/1

All Slivers get +0/+1.

quick sliver - 1G

Creature - Sliver 1/1

You may play Quick Sliver any time you could play an instant. Any player may play Sliver cards any time he or she could play an instant.

root sliver - 3G

Creature - Sliver 2/2

Root Sliver can't be countered. . Sliver spells can't be countered.

shifting sliver - 3U

Creature - Sliver 2/2

Slivers can't be blocked except by Slivers.

sliver overlord - BUGRW

Creature-Sliver Mutant Legend 7/7

3: Search your library for a Sliver card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. : Gain control of target Sliver. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)

sliver queen - BUGRW

Summon Legend 7/7

Sliver Queen counts as a Sliver. 2: Put a Sliver token into play. Treat this token as a 1/1 colorless creature.

sliver queen, brood mother -

Enchant World

3: Put a Sliver token into play. Treat this token as a 1/1 colorless creautre. Your starting life total is now 28.

spectral sliver - 2B

Creature - Sliver 2/2

All Slivers have "2: This creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn."

spined sliver - GR

Summon Sliver 2/2

If any Sliver is blocked it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each creature blocking it.

synapse sliver - 4U

Creature - Sliver 3/3

Whenever a Sliver deals combat damage to a player, its controller may draw a card.

talon sliver - 1W

Summon Sliver 1/1

All Slivers gain first strike.

toxin sliver - 3B

Creature - Sliver 3/3

Whenever a Sliver deals combat damage to a creature, destroy that creature. It can't be regenerated.

victual sliver - GW

Summon Sliver 2/2

Each Sliver gains "2, Sacrifice this creature: Gain 4 life."

ward sliver - 4W

Creature - Sliver 2/2

As Ward Sliver comes into play, choose a color. . All Slivers have protection from the chosen color.

winged sliver - 1U

Summon Sliver 1/1

All Slivers gain flying.

Just in 'Real Life', Ed. I regularly play card and board games on Sunday nights.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the online version; does it cost anything to play or to get the 'e-cards'?

I've been lucky in being able to play Magic for free by having a friend donate a few thousand cards to me to suck me into the addiction, and cruising on X-Mas and B-Day money since. With my collector's mentality I just can't let myself get into buying the cards without wanting to have them all ;)

Slivers are one of those races/tribes that I've grown to love to hate but sooner or later I'll have to give in and build a Sliver deck. I used to hate elf-decks the same way, but they're only not-fun when you are on the receiving end.

Mind you, I've tweaked my Black Knight deck to be a 'Sliver Killer' deck :) (the Sleight of Mind with the Paladins helps until they can't be targetted, but if any tribe deserves Extinction, Engineered Plague, and Tsabo's Decree, and Plague Wind, it is Slivers).

Anyway, Slivers are a great menace to adapt to Hero, the resonating shared powers idea is pretty cool and gives a real incentive for everyone to join together to wipe them out before it is too late -- once they multiply and get together they are a very powerful threat that is hard to deal with, so kill 'em while you still can!

With the Hero System you could give them a lot more great shared Powers and Advantages -- "All Slivers Get":

- Armor Piercing

- Penetrating

- NND (be a sliver or pro color of sliver), Does Body

- Desolidification = phasing

- teleportation

- ect.

pretty much any Hero Power/Advantage combination, or raw Advantage could be worked into a wicked Sliver swarm.

I don't know much about what the back-story is with Sliver though (if any) -- Anyone know more about them besides what is on the cards?

Stompy, I'm interested in hearing how it goes with adapting these guys and using 'em in play.

You definitely have to pay for the eCards. The software is effectively free as it is downloadable from the Magic Online site and your initial registration fee for your account comes with a Certificate w/ which to buy cards.

I've spent a frightening amount of money on my Online collection, and have LOTS of extra commons and whatnot. I could probably hook you up w/ some cards.

I used to play in RL back in the day but cashed out for fat returns after Legends. Got into MTGO a bit over a year ago or so I guess when it first came out. I play in cycles -- I get into it for awhile, then get fed up with it for awhile. Right now Affinity has me fed up with it for awhile ;)

As a side note, the software is set up to model the real life game almost exactly. The main difference is that the rules are strictly enforced with computerized consistency, whereas in real life some rules tend to get bent or forgotten between friends or less-savvy players.

The main benefit to it to my mind is when you run into that inevitable obnoxious little Magic geek you can just add them to your Ignore list and dont have to deal with them or their idiocy, unlike real life.

The second main benefit to it is, being a computerized medium, you are not subjected to the highly questionable personal hygeine of many Magic players. ;)

The third main benefit of it is the Card management system is very well done and easy to manage, and because your decks are basically just card lists taken from your collection, you never need more than 4 of any non-land card unlike in real life where in if you keep multiple decks "built" you might realistically want 4 of particular cards for each deck so you dont have to keep cannibalizing decks all the time.

The final main benefit is that you can find a game at any time of the day or night and play from the comfort of your own desk area.

Thanks

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for all the great replies.

I haven’t decided what powers to give the slivers. I’m leaning toward creating rare major slivers that have individual powers, and frequent minor ones that simply add advantages. Now that I think about it... I will create a generic sliver that is nothing more than cannon fodder for the Pc's. When some of it's larger tribe members arrive however, things will change.

I picture them looking like little featureless creatures that are more of a curiosity than a threat. As more interesting slivers come on the scene, the features change to reflect their new ability. AKA: claws, larger muscles, more frightening features. (What were those little black guys called in the MAX comic?)

Killer Shrike, Dude… I appreciate your input, but beware of tangents. You were hijacking my thread. Shame on you.

Guest zarglif69

Well, here's some rough concepts for some of the slivers:

Acidic sliver: gives them acid-based RKA's (sacrifice unnecessary)

Clot sliver: regeneration (of course)

Crypt sliver: regeneration, FROM DEATH!! (with a reasonably easy prevention)

Crystalline sliver: DCV levels vs. magic (or Spell resistance if you're using Shrike's system)

Heart sliver: Lightning reflexes

Hunter sliver: tracking scent (more dangerous than it sounds, I would know)

Mistform sliver: shapeshifting

Quick sliver: Summons other slivers?

Root sliver: Tunneling?

Shifting sliver: Desolidification, affected by other sliver's attacks

Synapse sliver: Drain, Transfer Int?

Talon Sliver: Stretching w/claws, only to cause damage

Victual sliver: Healing, self only, must consume other sliver (they heal by eating each other)

Winged sliver: Flying, of course

• 1 year later...

Re: The Slivers are Coming...

However, I think that the ones mentioned above, that give special abilities should be on the rarer side (since the abilities are largely have or don't) while the following would be common (this isn't comprehensive, jsut general ideas)

Muscle Sliver: +1 STR (the bonuses stack for each in the "hive")

Quick Sliver: +1 Dex

Tough Sliver: +1 Con

Stone-hide Sliver: Armor (PD 1)

I'd have muscle sliver be pretty beefty (as befiting it's stature as best sliver ever), and have it give both strenght and armor. I'd definitly give more than 1 per sliver, more like 3-5. Finally i'd make shifting sliver damn deadly, because it's super turbo cool.

If i hated my players, SS would have both desolid and a naked power advantage to all other slivers allowing them to use their powers while desolid (as does body, no stun attacks) (ie. damaging the player)

i'd build it with the usuable simultaneously advantage.

The reason I lised Muscle sliver as only a +1 is cuz think about it' date=' if each one adds +1 STR to the enitre Hive, and you get oh,,, 30 or 40 in a one KM radius of each other, you now have proabaly 300 slivers with a 50 STR[/quote']

ah, i was thinking more like in magic, where you only have maybe 4 muscle slivers at one point, so the effect would have been larger per sliver

True, but were talking a fantasy Campaign, so the opponants "army" isn't going to max out at maybe 8-20 creatures like it does in a MtG game, (thogh I once did play agaisnt a guy who had like 67 1/1 little twig things in play, it was great to have so much Life at the time, 117, to be able to take a full attack by all of em, the look on his face was priceless, go Wellwisher!)

And its likely that a hive of these things could includ, hundreds, even thousands of Slivers, thus I'd personally avoid one that Give BODY, cuz then you've got hundreds and hundreds of slivers with utterly godlike stats and thier impossible even to wittle down. A big Sliver Hive would make an Amazing high power campaign though, having to find a way to exterminate an army of effective Demi-Gods before the "Dark Lord" can take over the Hive Mother (and thus every Sliver in the hive) and send them to destroy the world