Sporting Q #2: Long/ High Jump?

Static UK

How do you determine 'competitive' jumping using Hero rules?

An athlete is not neccessarily going to jump the exact inchage as determined be his STR char. I'm thinking of having a houserule that says something along the lines of 'for each + or - 1 to the CHAR-roll (STR or DEX?) you modify the distance jumped by + or - 1/4". '

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Your idea sounds good. I would say that on the average, those who use their abilities in day to day activities, and have the same stat number, do the job similiar enough that there is no real difference.

If, however, you are competing where every pound and every inch is taken into account, I would do something along the above lines.

Remember that a game inch is basically 6 feet. Competitions come down to inches. So I would say that someone with 6" of leaping can leap 36 feet +/- 6 inches (not game inches) for each point above/below a Strength roll. If you wanted to have even more variety, you could include a dex roll as a complementary roll to the Strength one (someone who moves just right gets a few more inches).

Originally posted by MarkusDark

Your idea sounds good. I would say that on the average, those who use their abilities in day to day activities, and have the same stat number, do the job similiar enough that there is no real difference.

If, however, you are competing where every pound and every inch is taken into account, I would do something along the above lines.

Remember that a game inch is basically 6 feet. Competitions come down to inches. So I would say that someone with 6" of leaping can leap 36 feet +/- 6 inches (not game inches) for each point above/below a Strength roll. If you wanted to have even more variety, you could include a dex roll as a complementary roll to the Strength one (someone who moves just right gets a few more inches).

I would definitely incorporate a DEX rolls as well as a STR roll. You may also want to incorporate DEX-based skill rolls too. It would be the best representation of how hard those athletes work, and all the physical and mental resources they bring to bear in competition. Though, I would use metric sub-divisions as they convert to HERO better, which is metric-based, not imperial.