Mnemonic stone - how to

Karimarle

Well, I would base it off of Eidetic Memory (Retrocog is too expensive if it is just used for memory recall). In 5th edition, it became 5 points with the explanation that it was only worth about that. Eidetic Memory mentions memorizing entire documents, but I don't think that was intended by "remember small details".

Eidetic Memory {5}

-1/2 IAF - Mnemonic Stone

-1/4 Gestures - Looking thoughtful while rubbing the stone

-2 Independent

-1/4 Lim: Only to remember small details (really esoteric or brief details on a INT roll with penalities)

For a continusly usable effect, I would lean more towards Eidetic memory. For something that gets used up or used infrequently, I would lean more toward INT bonuses.

Blue Jogger's memory stone looks good for what was needed, but here's an alternative just for pondering:

Memory Charm: +20 INT, (AP 20); Only For Recalling Details and Memory Related Skill Rolls (-1 1/2), 4 Charges (-1), IAF Expendable (Elephant Poo;-1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), (RC 4).

So here's what I came up with. I started by taking retrocog and working it exactly like Eidetic memory, but with Events seen in place of Momerized information and at the same cost. Guess what? 5 points is the wrong price. I haven't checked the errata yet, but Retrocog should be a base of 40 and a total of 3 limitations (-1 for retro only and -2 for memorized info). This gives a real cost of 10. The sidebar example of a precog only crystal ball on page 93 is built the same way, has a total lim of 3.25 and a real cost is 9! Anyways, here it is.

Mnemonic Stone – small, polished, egg-shaped stone

a) Retrocognitive Clairsentience

Retro only, Events previously seen only, Ind, IAF, Gestures throughout (rubbing stone), Concentrate throughout ½ DCV, 1 charge/week. Real costs = 4

B) +4 to INT rolls and INT based skill rolls

Ind, IAF, Gestures throughout (rubbing stone), Concentrate throughout ½ DCV, 1 charge/week. Real cost = 3

Total real cost = 7

The FAQ admits the errors of doing Eidetic Memory as Retrocognition and that it covers multiple sense groups (even though Retro only covered one) if neccessary. And then defeatly admits...

Until Hero publishes a book that gives Eidetic Memory sufficient concrete benefits to make it worth 10 points, the cost remains 5 Character Points.

So I use Retro when the power is looking into the past (where the viewer wasn't there to remember) and Eidetic Memory for recording devices or for memory enhancing effects.