Aberrant Disadvantages

nexus

For a Aberrant to Champions convesion. How do these disadvantages sound:

Physical Limitation:Nova Physiology (Frequent, Slightly):The character requires nearly three times the normal caloric intake of a normal human being. In addition, many normal medications and treatments have no effect. First Aid and medical skills are at -3 when dealing with the character unless the physcian has KS:Nova Medicine.

Distinctive Features:Quantum Signature (Concealable with Effort, normal reactiun, requires special senses)

Physical limitation:Subject to Taint (Infrequently, Greatly) The character must make an Ego roll when pushing his powers or using them for an extended (GM discretion) period or time or performing "power stunts) or be subjected to a 1d6 Transform vs Body that will cause them accquire new mental of physical disadvantages if succuessful. This Transform is cumlative and permanant if successful. The points accumalated "heal" as body damage only when the character totally does not use their quantum powers (Dorms).

I've never played Abarrent but, from what I've heard from friends, I think taint could also be done as a Susceptibility. Susceptibility has an option for replacing damage with APs of some other attack, such as Transform.

Susceptibility: To Overuse Of Powers (common, instant, 1d6 Transform). 20 Points.

But the physical limitation works better if you want to make new rules or use the Aberrant rules for how the transform damage heals.

Re: Aberrant Disadvantages

Originally posted by nexus

Physical Limitation:Nova Physiology (Frequent, Slightly):The character requires nearly three times the normal caloric intake of a normal human being. In addition, many normal medications and treatments have no effect. First Aid and medical skills are at -3 when dealing with the character unless the physcian has KS:Nova Medicine.

This one you can easily emulate with two existing Champions disadvantages (pp. 75/79):

Dependence: Requires Enormous Caloric Intake (Very Common/Easy to Obtain; Weakness, 1 day; 0 points)

Physical Limitation: Requires Specialized Specialized Medical Attention (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing; 10 points)

Distinctive Features:Quantum Signature (Concealable with Effort, normal reactiun, requires special senses)

The Concealable with Effort part is only working if you treat Dorming by allowing all Novas the ability to shut down the Node and dorm down by default. Otherwise, for those who do have the ability, it is Not Concealable

Speaking as a GM that has adopted a fair amount Aberrant terminology and groups...

RE: Quantum Signature. Personally this one is in the same ballpark as "Detects As Mutant" -- comes dangerously close to being free points unless Detect Mutant (or Nova) is fairly common. I decided that I didn't want that power to be too common -- at least in part because I wanted "whether or not there really is a technological way to detect novas" to be a fairly important campaign world hook.

This is the opposite of Aberrant, in which at least a minor ability to detect other novas and the use of nova powers is inherent to being a nova.

As such, I decided not to allow it in my campaign. Instead I made the decision that instead of "Detect Nova" the power functions as "Detect individual lacking the Normal Characteristic Maxima" power -- with a seperate "Detect Active Use of Nova Powers" power. I made them part of the Mental group (since I view all nova powers as being psionic in nature on at least some level instead of that quantum stuff). I know from previous experience however that the second detect on that list has to be watched since it can cause problems...

RE: Susceptible to Taint. This one is a bit of an issue. Technically under a true Aberrant campaign this should be a 0-point Physical Disadvantage (since every nova has it, it therefore is "part of the package"). The Susceptibility built as a Side Effect would be most appropriate if this issue wasn't a problem for every nova.

RE: Dormacy. Given my campaign standards and rulings (see above), I've found that the best way to handle this is using the Multiform rules. This forces the player to pay for an advantage -- and remember, in Aberrant Dormacy is paid for as an advantage too. Of course for my campaign I had to make this a secret the PC's had to discover... this was not something I wanted common knowledge.