How To: Plasm Grenade

Sociotard

I dabble in "Halo" now and again, and I wanted to build one of my favorite weapons, the plasma grenade. Here are the characteristics:

Like standard grenades, Plasmas have an explosion effect, have a range based on STR, and go off a few seconds after being thrown.

Unlike standard grenades, plasmas are 'sticky'. If you manage to hit a character, it clings to them, and does much more damage as it explodes.

The strategy is to hit an enemy, and hope the enemy panics and runs toward the safety of his own, helping you blow them up.

If I understand correctly, the grenade "rides" the character it hits before exploding. Possibly make it with a clinging, using the strength of the character to reflect the sticky part - or buy it as an item with Str, only to hold on to target (-1/2 or -1 ? maybe). That way, the character would have to make a Str vs Str roll to knock the grenade off before he can move anywhere - failure means he's stuck and boom! That way the character could roll vs the hex to hit the area the character is in, or roll vs DCV to hit the character and hope he runs back to blow up his pals.

That sounds the way to go for me. If the grenade exploded and the energy travelled with the character, then uncontrolled and sticky (maybe) would be the way to go.

As for the extra damage, buy it as more damage dice, with an "Only when grenade attached to target" (-1/2 perhaps) or maybe link it to the Strength (thus it might do more only when the grenade is using the strength to hold on).

I took a swing at it. Here's what I have.

Plasma Grenade

2 1/2 d6 RKA, Explosion (-1 DC/2"; +3/4); Range Based on STR (-1/4), 4 segment delay (-1/4), OAF (-1) 1 Charge (-2) 16 pts

plus 1 1/2 d6 RKA ; Range Based on STR (-1/4), 4 segment delay (-1/4), OAF (-1), 1 charge (-2) 6 pts

plus Clinging ; OAF (-1), 1 charge (-2) 2 pts

Real Point Cost: 24 pts

I think the 4 segment fuse delay is enough to get the effect without clinging. The sticking to people is just a special effect. A poison that hits someone and takes 4 segments to take effect is pretty much the same thing.

You could just rule that people with a certain amount of STR could pull it off in a phase and people with that amount of casual STR could brush it off in no time. If you're going to put clinging on it, you should buy some clinging STR, since it works at base STR right now and a grenade's base STR is 0. I think the clinging might also need a continuing charge for it to stick for more than one phase.

Also, depending on how you like to do your items, I think you could make the 1 charge nonrecoverable. Here's my version:

Plasma Grenade

2 1/2 d6 RKA, Explosion (-1 DC/2"; +3/4); Range Based on STR (-1/4), 4 segment delay (-1/4), OAF (-1) 1 Nonrecoverable Charge (-4) 11 pts

plus 1 1/2 d6 RKA ; Range Based on STR (-1/4), 4 segment delay (-1/4), OAF (-1), 1 Nonrecoverable Charge (-4) 4 pts

Total Cost: 15 pts

I'm worried about some of the things that might happen without the clinging. Say a character tries missile deflection based on them hitting the grenade with their hand. Based on the rules, I think that would work. With clinging, it just sticks to their hand, and they spend four segments looking very silly. Maybe it's just a fiat thing.

The way I would rule it is that the grenades cling with the strength of the thrower (ie - they stick as hard as they are thrown). You could add Str, no figured chars, only for clinging, maybe -1 total, plus focus, charge, etc. might be better (or buy the additional strength (its only +1 point for +3 strength)).

edit - I like the idea of the martial arts expert who swats the grenade, then has it stick to his hand like some looney tunes character. Add in a little flag/sign that says "ouch" and you're all set.

It depends on the special effect of the deflection. If the missle deflection is defined as dodging or telekinetic pushing, then it works normally. If it's defined as a blocking or parrying, then it sticks to your sword or arm or whatever. To me, this is special effects, but to other GM's it could be a power.

A plasma grenade with clinging:

Plasma Grenade

2 1/2 d6 RKA, Explosion (-1 DC/2"; +3/4); Range Based on STR (-1/4), 4 segment delay (-1/4), OAF (-1) 1 Nonrecoverable Charge (-4) 11 pts

plus 1 1/2 d6 RKA ; Range Based on STR (-1/4), 4 segment delay (-1/4), OAF (-1), 1 Nonrecoverable Charge (-4) 4 pts

plus Clinging (21 STR), Range Based on STR (-1/4), 4 segment delay (-1/4), OAF (-1), 1 Nonrecoverable 1 Turn Continuing Charge (-3 1/4) 3 pts

Total Cost: 18 pts

The clinging starts at the grenades base STR of 0, then I bought 21 extra clinging STR.