Hyperspace Energy Leech

Fitz

This is a first draft for a hyperspace hazard for my TE campaign. It's an energy-draining swarm critter which lurks in hyperspace.Energy Leech

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
10 DEX 0
6 CON -8
6 BODY -8
0 INT -10
10 EGO 0
10 PRE 0
5 COM -2
2 PD 0
1 ED 0
2 SPD 0
3 REC 0
12 END 0
14 STUN 0
0" RUN-120" SWIM-20" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: -42
Cost Power END
36 Energy Invulnerability: Desolidification (affected by Physical Attacks), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Only To Protect Against Energy Attacks (-1), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)
30 Energy Leech: Drain END 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points)
75 Energy Leech: Absorption 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points) (energy, END), Inherent (+1/4), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (112 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)
64 Flight 20", x16 Noncombat, Increased Cumulative Inches x100,000 (+1), Extended END Use Expend END per 5 Hr (+1 1/2) (192 Active Points); Only in Zero-G (-2) 19
13 Clinging (20 STR)
18 Space Dweller: Life Support (Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing)
40 Energy Sense: Detect Energy Sources 9- (Unusual Group), Range, Targeting, Inherent (+1/4), MegaScale (1" = 1 million km; +1 3/4) (60 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)
10 Leech Speech: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group)
Powers Cost: 286
Val Disadvantages
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima
10 Physical Limitation: Non-intelligent (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
10 Physical Limitation: Deaf (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
25 Psychological Limitation: Irresistably drawn to nearest and most powerful energy source (Very Common, Total)
Disadvantage Points: 45

Base Points: 100Experience Required: 99Total Experience Available: 999Experience Unspent: 900Total Character Cost: 244

Appearance: These creatures look like scintillating protoplasmic starfish, or giant tentacled amoeba. As they feed on energy, lights of all colours ripple through their translucent bodies creating a beautiful display.Personality: Mindless animal motivations. The Energy Leech's only purpose is to find and absorb energy from the nearest and most abundant source.Background: Not native to the hyperspace dimensions (no life-form is, after all), these creatures are occasionally carried there attached to the hulls of starships. In real space they present little danger, since they get all the nourishment they need and more by surfing the solar wind in the inner circles of a solar system. In hyperspace, that abundant energy source is no longer available, and they gravitate towards the only useable energy sources there -- ships and beacon stations. In small numbers they pose no great threat, though even a small group can drain enough power to noticeably degrade a ship's performance. On rare occasions though, a swarm of hundreds or even thousands can form and then they can consume enough of a ship's power to effectively shut it down. The dangers inherent in this event are obvious; without power the ship (or station) will have no life support, no communications, and no propulsion.Powers/Tactics: The Energy Leech's tactics are simplicity itself; it moves directly towards the most abundant nearby power source and drains energy from it. It is capable of self-powered movement in zero-G, using a biological process very similar to that of the reactionless drive commonly used in most space craft.

By the very nature of the leech, energy weapons are useless against them -- in fact, they positively enjoy being subjected to the tingling caresses of lasers or plasma weapons. They are, however, almost defenceless against physical attacks.

The leech is blind except for its energy detection sense, and stone deaf. Their very limited communication amongst themselves is by radio waves; they can both send and percieve in the radio spectrum.

Campaign Use: 

I noticed a few other things that need to be addressed:

1) I'd suggest fiddling with the Characteristics a bit more. I'm focusing in on STR, DEX, and EGO here. How hard would it be to fight, really?

2) You have Running, Swimming, and Leaping listed at 0", but the costs aren't accounted for on the character sheet on your site (they are on the listing above, though in a rather strange place for one used to the published format). Note that "Reduced Leap: Cannot Leap" is a Physical Limitation worth 5 points (or the value of Leaping bought down, whichever is greater).

3) What are these Advantages Increased Cumulative Inches and Extended END Use (applied to the Flight) from? I don't find them in any of the books I have on hand. In the latter case in particular, Reduced Endurance (0 END) is cheaper at +1/2. I'm wondering, too, if maybe with ICI you were trying to create MegaScale; if so, you'll probably want a Multipower with one slot for standard Flight and one for MegaFlight.

4) The Physical Limitation Instinctive Intelligence is worth 20 points (All The Time, Greatly Impairing). Also, I think Deaf and Blind could probably be listed as separate Physical Limitations (though you should check some of the publications to be sure -- if you can find a published creature with both). Also some form of the Limited Manipulation Physical Limitation would probably be in order.

5) If they communicate by radio waves, they should probably have Radio Perception/Transmission, or even HRRP.

6) I'd also suggest giving them some form of Absorption versus Energy attacks. I'm not sure what it'd go to; perhaps it'd be equally distributed among BODY, END, and STUN.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

I noticed a few other things that need to be addressed:

1) I'd suggest fiddling with the Characteristics a bit more. I'm focusing in on STR, DEX, and EGO here. How hard would it be to fight, really?

2) You have Running, Swimming, and Leaping listed at 0", but the costs aren't accounted for on the character sheet on your site (they are on the listing above, though in a rather strange place for one used to the published format). Note that "Reduced Leap: Cannot Leap" is a Physical Limitation worth 5 points (or the value of Leaping bought down, whichever is greater).

3) What are these Advantages Increased Cumulative Inches and Extended END Use (applied to the Flight) from? I don't find them in any of the books I have on hand. In the latter case in particular, Reduced Endurance (0 END) is cheaper at +1/2. I'm wondering, too, if maybe with ICI you were trying to create MegaScale; if so, you'll probably want a Multipower with one slot for standard Flight and one for MegaFlight.

4) The Physical Limitation Instinctive Intelligence is worth 20 points (All The Time, Greatly Impairing). Also, I think Deaf and Blind could probably be listed as separate Physical Limitations (though you should check some of the publications to be sure -- if you can find a published creature with both). Also some form of the Limited Manipulation Physical Limitation would probably be in order.

5) If they communicate by radio waves, they should probably have Radio Perception/Transmission, or even HRRP.

6) I'd also suggest giving them some form of Absorption versus Energy attacks. I'm not sure what it'd go to; perhaps it'd be equally distributed among BODY, END, and STUN.

1) They're supposed to be individually very easy to fight. The danger lies in the swarm, not the individual leeches.

2) The costs are accounted for in the Characteristics Points summary; they're not accounted for individually because it's an NPC monster and I have no need for that info in game play.

3) Increased Cumulative Inches is an optional modifier from Star Hero. Extended END Use is a campaign custom mod of my own devising; read it as 0 END if it makes you happier.

4) Right

5) They do

6) They did -- I dumped it though because the Absorption had no real effect on their function as a game hazard. If building them as critters intended to be taken on mano-a-mano in honourable space-combat, I'd reinstate it.

I just had an idea to make these things more alarming:

When hit with an energy-based attack, they swell. If they take enough damage, they split, reproducing themselves by fission.

I originally thought Duplication , but I think probably Summon (another identical leech), triggered by the appropriate level of energy damage.

It would probably be appropriate, if this idea is adopted, to have them reproducing like this from their normal energy absorbtion as well (but slower of course). I don't know that it's worth while going to the trouble of working out specific mechanics for that though.