Pittsburgh in the Marvel Universe

Mark Rand

I'm starting a campain with an Avengers branch office in Pittsburgh. See the Southwestern Pennsylvania Avengers for details.

In this thread, we're looking at Pittsburgh and the surrounding area.

In Washington County, we have a motorsports complex consisting of a 2.88-mile road course, a dragstrip, a 1/2-mile oval and a go kart track.

In Beaver County, a new thoroughbred track is under construction. It has an eight furlong dirt main track and a seven furlong grass track. (A furlong is one eighth of a mile.)

Downtown Pittsburgh and the Strip District have new nightclubs opening up. The one in town has a Mid-eastern flavor and belly dancers. One club in the Strip District is very Goth and the other (actually a supper club) features stage magic.

Oakland has two new bars, a Greek bar, with belly dancers, and a jazz club. Although the jazz club has no house band, the Jazz Angels have been playing there four nights a week since it opened. The old Buhl Plantarium and Institute of Popular Science is back, too, along with Jake, its old Zeiss Projector.

The mansion that serves as headquarters for the Mid Atlantic Avengers is somewhere in the area. I want to put it on Millionaire Row, which is Fifth Avenue between Devonshire Street and Shady Avenue, but I'm not sure.

I forgot a few things.

Pittsburgh is having a financial crisis.

Discussions are getting underway to build a privately-funded arena for the Penguins. It might be in the Strip District.

Construction has started on a motorsports complex on the site of Pittsburgh International Airport's old terminal building. It will be a 2.5-mile Indy-style oval with a variable-configuration internal roadcourse.

Originally posted by ZootSoot

To accurately represent Pittsburg in the Marvel universe, it should be a village of about a hundred souls a half mile southwest of of the Hudson river and maybe ten miles east of the Pacific ocean . . .:rolleyes:

and they all play polly wolly doodle on their banjo's and Kazoos.