The Justice Machine

Just A Guy Name

Originally posted by RDU Neil

You forgot First... and comics like Jon Sable: Freelance... Whisper... Dynamo Joe. I loved all that stuff... but at the same time was still buying the Miller Daredevil, Byrne FF, etc. I didn't lose interest in Marvel until the late '80s early '90s.

I enjoyed those, though it was bad to read both V for Vendetta & Whisper in the same sitting.

Originally posted by Metaphysician

Interesting concepts and team. Anybody have access to further details on each characters background??

Also, couldn't you just give Talisman something like 20d6 Luck, with the karma limitations??

Unfortunately (heh, get it?;) ) luck in the Hero system is too vague. To mimic the comic, you would have to roll those 20d6 every phase, not once or twice an adventure.

They even had combat maneuvers designed around his luck. Maneuver 7 (I think it was) involved Talisman running straight at a gunman like he was going to attack. Then he would trip 'unexpectedly' at the gunman's feet, putting himself completely at the gunman's mercy. Gunman pulls the trigger, the gun jams. Rest of team beats the hell out of gunman or gunman surrenders.

Talisman: "I hate maneuver 7. When are we going to quit using it?"

Challenger: "When it quits working."

Originally posted by Metaphysician

Maybe there could be an Advantage for Luck:

At Will ( +1 ): Luck dice are rolled whenever the player feels like it, no more than once per phase.

That would certainly make the Luck based characters easier :) I think it would have to be a +2 advantage, though. With a high number of dice, that could be devastating.

The real hindrance to this power, though, is the PITA factor. (PITA=Pain In The Ass) No GM out there wants to have to create a super luck effect for this character every single phase. The other players would soon get tired of the GM spending so much time on this one character. It's a trap. A true luckster relies on providence...a player shouldn't do that, though.

I think the best way to duplicate Talisman's devastating luck (Outrageous Fortune?) is with a cosmic VPP, and it would have to be pretty large because every power would require IPE. The new luck based RSR would go well, along with something that states effects must be "appropriate." IOW, no lightning bolts in the basement. It still relies on the player to create the effects, which could change every phase...which could slow things down still unless they had a very long list of possibilities drawn out ahead of time. Again, besides the expense, the spontenaity / surprise factor is gone, but the effect would exist.

If you guys are really interested in Luck as a power... you should try using the current Luck to represent luck chits, bennies (from Savage Worlds), Hero Points (from M&M) etc.

Basically... have a bag of physical glass chits, of different colors.

For every "die" of luck purchased, the player draws a chit from the bag.

These chits are "spent"... turned back in... to create a "luck effect" any time the character wishes. Different colors allow for different levels of "luck" (greater or lesser effects on the game)

Certain effects can be re-rolling a failed roll... making a roll an automatic success... using a power in a way that the actual points spent don't normally allow... etc.

I've been using a system like this for years now... making the Luck die much more concrete and game effective... not to mention giving the players some flexiblility with their actions/scene creation/use of powers.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12191&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

About three posts down on this page, I explain my luck chit rules for my game. I've never had a player buy more than 4-5 Luck chits... but it would be an interesting experiment to have someone commit 50 pts or so. Because I limit the power changes to "within the SFX of the charcter" a normal person couldn't "luckily" start shooting lasers from their eyes. The luck chits force players to be creative and clever outside of rules lawyering.

YMMV, but you could makea close approximation of Talisman this way.