Missile Deflection and Multipowers

bryanb

Hi All,

I know that Missile Deflection (MD) can be put into a Multipower (MP) but I have one question concerning its operation...

If a character has only enough points to use only one power in a MP, can that character say assign the points to their MP in their action phase and then, in a following phase before their next action phase, use MD? For example, if Hydoboy acts on phases 3,6,9 & 12 - He fires a water blast on phase 3 then gets attacked on phase 4 can he redistribute his MP Pool so that he can attempt to MD?

I'm stumped because I know that reallocation of MP points is a 0 phase action (could he alternatively reallocate his MP Pool at the end of his phase 3 action?).

Thanks in advance

Re: Missile Deflection and Multipowers

Originally posted by bryanb

If a character has only enough points to use only one power in a MP, can that character say assign the points to their MP in their action phase and then, in a following phase before their next action phase, use MD?

Yes. Check out the Defense Actions sidebar on page 236 of HERO System Fifth Edition, under Activating a Defense Power. :)

not cut and dry

I dont' think it's a solid `yes'. First, both multipower and missle deflection are marked as powers for GM's to watch b/c of possible abuse/overbalance. Therefore, I never assume that they will follow the rules as written 100%, b/c it could be deemed unfair by my GM. Second, you can abort to activate a defnesive power, and adjust multipower points, if needed, to activate it: true; however, missle deflection is a special Standard/Defense power that is defined in the text as an "attack power" that can be aborted to. No where does it say that you can adjust pool points for an attack power. I'd allow it, but I believe this would be a GM by GM basis, w/ no "right or wrong" answer.

My problem would be the Missle Deflection in a multipower to begin w/. Missle Deflection screams "Talent, even though it isn't, and should be allowed in a multipower. In the text, it says it acts just like a block-- I've never seen a GM yet allow block or any other combat menuevers in a multipower. My only guess is it's in a foci multipower like a shield. I'd make a character buy it seperate w/ a limitation "needs to preform". Otherwise, it's an abuse, IMO, of the rules. I don't have time to explain, as I must leave for a trip now, but think about how having a power like this in a multipower would never hinder you w/ the abover rule, that should justify it's not belonging there.

P.S. I would be interested in Steve's take on this.

If your character has a 4 Speed and attacks on phase 3, and then gets attacked on phase 4, the character can Abort its next phase to perform a "Defensive Action." The Defensive Action would allow you to reassign your Multipower Power points for Missile Deflection. The Defensive Action also causes you to lose your next action phase.

At any other time the character can only reassign his Multipower as a 0 phase action on its normal phases. So a Speed 4 Character can reassign as a 0 phase action at the beginning or middle of phases 3, 6, 9, 12. If you need to reassign on any other phase you can only do it to abort to a Defensive Action.