Spell Failure Chart

CorpCommander

Ok, been working on this all day today. Why am I up so late? Duh, I love this game too much. Well if I am going to burn the midnight oil I might as well let you all benefit from my deep night tinkerings. I present you with a Side Effects for Spell Failure table.

In my game I am enforcing that all arcane and sorcerous type wizards/witches/spooky types all have a chance of having spell's fail. RSR + Side Effects are mandatory. 18 is always a failure on the PS: Casting Skill roll so no matter how high the player has bought this skill up there is still a chance for failure.

I tried to make sure that the caster would not, most likely, be killed by spell failure, but there are a lot of things that will cause actual harm. When going against the caster only natural PD and ED or inherent defenses apply. defenses in focuses never apply. If the effect is area of affect it affects everyone near by (friend and foe alike). Some effects aid the foe. If there is no foe around then something magical happens but its confused/distorted and bleeds off into thin air.

If the effect affects foes or friends they get to use all of their defences.

That is basically it. I will attache the PDF file. Let me know what you think.

--Pete

If you are really evil...

...don't tell the players whats on the chart. And when it goes wrong but the effect is not obvious (such as the -10 on next die roll) don't tell them what happens. Just say, you know the spell failed but you aren't sure where the energy went...

Then grin. Evily.

Players hate that. :) <-- VEG

Originally posted by TaxiMan

I really like the ideas! How do you handle the Unluck? At the Minor level, they gain that disadvantage until they could heal back 15 Body - OK. But how do the Usable As Attack forms work? What's their duration?

The unluck is used like the luck talent only in reverse - not like the unluck in the case of the disadvantage so it doesn't have to be "healed back" - just roll the dice and if any come up ones that sets the level of unluck - as GM you just apply it! Level 1, lose a half phase or something minor like that. Level 2, a critical button/buckle/etc. fails and a piece of armor falls off or your current weapon falls out of your hand.

Since luck is personal only I had to make it useable as an attack so it could affect someone near by. The 2" radius is enough to get nearby party members most cases! It will also affect enemies as well if they are close enough but wizards usually hang back (as they well should!)

I will probably rearrange the chart so that every thing that is simply annoying is in the center and everything that could cause pain and suffering is at the edges. The cosmetic transform is one I can't wait to apply. :D