Extremely low rate of fire limitation

How much would you value an extremely low rate of fire as a limitation?

For example the main gun on a tank typically fires 5 rounds per minute with a trained crew for about 5 minutes before they get tired, then it degrades to around 3 rounds per minute.

In effect I was thinking of a limitation as follows: "Only on Segment 12 for first 5 turns, then only on segment 12 every other turn. 5 minutes of rest to return to normal rate of Fire"

I think this is worth about -2. My reason for this level of limitation is an activation roll of 8- is also -2 and thats about equivalent for something that operates at SPD 3. Though a Full Turn activation is worth -1 1/4 and an additional turn is 1 1/2 so perhaps that is an appropriate level of limitation.

What do you think?

I was thinking a straight Extra Time: One Turn (-1). That's assuming you can't use any other attacks while preparing for this one.

If it drops to every other turn after 5 shots, but only if the people operating it actually get tired, put Cost END on it too. That way the operators will only slow down if they actually get tired.

Originally posted by Dust Raven

If it drops to every other turn after 5 shots, but only if the people operating it actually get tired, put Cost END on it too.

That's an idea. I'd have to calculate what level of endurance use would cause they typical operator to run out of endurance after 5 turns. Lets do that now. 20 END, 4 REC, SPD 3. 5 turns with post 12 recovery means we have 40 END. 40/5 = 8 END per turn.

The endurance use for the typical main gun, per the rules being based on the Active Points of the attack, would be something quite rediculous, like 36 END. So we buy it off to 0 but state the operator pays 8 END. Since its based on charges it's already at 0 END so we add a custom limitation, Loader Endurance Cost -1/4.

That works effectively well I think.

I was thinking about this and something occured to me. What if the weapon was operated by automatons or someone with 0 END STR? They shouldn't have to pay END for operating it. Thinking this way, the STR Minimum Limitation (FREd pg 327-328) would work. Operators would need to use the STR to operate the weapon, and would spend END accordingly.