travellerne

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Major Tom

Re: Campaign Brainstorming: "The New Abbey"

Luddites are, for the most part, folks who are against technological innovation

or progress of any sort. IIRC, they first appeared around the beginning of the Ind-

ustrial Revolution, and were basically ordinary people that were afraid that advances

in technology would put an end to the "cottage industry" that provided them with

much of their livelihood (and they were right). Whenever opportunity presented

itself, these people did anything they could to impede progress, usually by wreck-

ing factory machinery (in France, the use of wooden sabots to disable machinery

gave rise to the term saboteur to describe such an individual). The term

"Luddite" itself is believed to have come from the name of the alleged "king" of the

movement, a man who was (supposedly) named Ned Ludd.

I used the term "Neo-Luddite" in my post to describe the anti-tech faction that

was referred to earlier in the context that they were probably a new incarnation

of an older movement (in much the same way that we occasionally hear about

Neo-Nazi racist hate groups in the news these days).

Does that answer your question, Drakkenkin?

Major Tom :eg:

Guest LordZarglif

Now that you've proven the existance of God in the setting, what about the flip side of the coin? Is there a Satan, a force who opposes God and corrupts mortals? Also, with the existance of God, are there demons in the setting?

Guest Major Tom

Say, Travellerne, I don't mean to sound like a nitpicker, but if the existence of

Earth has been lost to antiquity (as was mentioned in a previous post), then

would'nt that mean that terms like "Swiss Guards" would likewise have been

lost over the ages? Instead of calling them the Swiss Guards, why not call

them something like the Fidei Defensori ("Defenders of the Faith")?

Just a thought that crossed my mind...

Major Tom :angel:

Say, Travellerne, I don't mean to sound like a nitpicker, but if the existence of

Earth has been lost to antiquity...then

would'nt that mean that terms like "Swiss Guards" would likewise have been

lost over the ages? Instead...why not call

No, you're not nitpicking. I've already thought of that but I don't have a good name yet. This group will be the equivalent of the modern day Swiss Guards but, you are right, there is not Switzerland anymore and I don't want a name that tells too easily what they are modelled after. The working titles for this group so far have been: Landsknechts, Swiss Guards, Cohors Helvetica (a modern but obscure, to Americans anyway, name for the Swiss Guards).

It's quite possible that Fidei Defensori will be the next working title--I like it. Although I might reserve Fidei Defensori for members of one of the inquisitions (who are also "Defenders of the Faith").

Thanks MT! :yes:

K.

Say Major Tom,

Your Latin seems somewhat better than mine. Earlier you suggested a crozius that provided some defense for the wielder (ala WH40K). Any idea how to Latinize "The Crozius of Thomas the Major?"

Yea, I like to put in little bits of flavor into my campaign settings--most based on people who've helped me.

I'm going to try and post more ideas for item designs tonight. Maybe...it's a busy night at work with new software being tested.

K.

Crozius of Thomas the Major

Here's a powerful staff for more senior priests and/or monks. Let me know what you think. I'm still looking for a latinized name for this holy item.

K.

Divine Protection: Force Wall (10rPd/10rEd, 7" long and 1" high), Reduced Endurance (0 END); OAF (Crozius), Restricted Shape (3" diameter circle), No Range

Sustenance: Life Support (Extended Breathing, 1 END per Turn; Diminished Eating, once per week; Safe Environment: High Radiation, Intense Heat, Intense Cold; Longevity, 1/2 normal rate; Immunity: All Terrestrial diseases

Light: Sight Group Images, 2" radius, Reduced Endurance (0 END); OAF (Crozius), Only to Create LIght; No Range.

Occasional Miracle: 3d6 Luck; OAF.

56 Total Points

I was avoiding doing my statics work again and I though, it would make sense that the clergy would have some form of specialization in the tasks that they perform, much like people do today with their jobs. Then I thought of the cloistered monks and priests of old. I always think of them going through old manuscripts and the like. You could do something like that in your campaign but instead of them going through old books they could be decked out with cyberware to alow them to quickly search through their databases (much like Jacker in ShadowRun.)

There is more to the thought but I really should get back to me work. I know it’s not much, but hay, hope it gives you some ideas.

Drakkenkin

Guest Major Tom

Travellerne, the protective item that I had mentioned previously was the rosarius;

the crozius, from what artwork I've been able to find, is essentially a cross about

two feet long that's both thick enough and heavy enough to use as a melee

weapon.

As far as a Latin name for the item you mentioned previously, I just got through

searching through some Latin-language sites on the 'Net, and could'nt find any-

thing close to what you were looking for. Personal bias aside, however, there's

nothing wrong with the name of the item as you currently have it.

BTW, thanks for that bit of recognition there.

Major Tom :hail:

I was avoiding doing my statics work again

Yea, statics! It's like dynamics but with F=0! (Sorry, I've been there.) :winkgrin:

Then I thought of the cloistered monks and priests of old. I always think of them going through old manuscripts and the like. You could do something like that in your campaign but instead of them going through old books they could be decked out with cyberware to alow them to quickly search through their databases...

Um, yea. Good idea. It'd be a good idea for one of the orders. Thanks.

K.

Travellerne, the protective item that I had mentioned previously was the rosarius;

BTW, thanks for that bit of recognition there.

I'll look into what a rosarius is. (I have to admit it was late at night when I wrote that and may have gotten rosarius confused with crozius.) I'd like to have a staff-like item for a protective device that's worth over 50 character points.

As for the recognition, my pleasure. Thanks for the ideas. Now I just need to come up with the story of "Saint Thomas the Major," as well as "Saint Thomas the Lesser," and "Saint Thomas the Minor," and a host of a small selection of millions of saints from billions of worlds. :jupiter::earth::neptune::uranus::venus::mars::mercury::saturn::help::winkgrin:

K.

Guest Major Tom

Travellerne, I've done some further research, and I think I've found a suitable

name for your protective staff. The best name I was able to come up with was

Agolum Fidelis (Agolum: shepherd's staff or crook; Fidelis: faithful. A rough trans-

lation would therefore be "Staff of the Faithful"). Another name that suggested

itself was Agolum Refugio ("Staff of Refuge"). Considering that even in these

times clergymen are often referred to as "Shepherds of the Faithful", the first

name presented here might be the most appropriate one.

You could also use both names for this particular item, with the difference being

that the Agolum Fidelis would be used by the higher-ups in the Church hierarchy

(Cardinals, Bishops, Archbishops, Etc.), while the Agolum Refugio would

be used by the lower-ranking priests (indeed, the Agolum Refugio might very

well be a slightly less-powerful version of the Agolum Fidelis).

So, what do you think about this idea?

You could also use both names for this particular item, with the difference being

that the Agolum Fidelis would be used by the higher-ups in the Church hierarchy

(Cardinals, Bishops, Archbishops, Etc.), while the Agolum Refugio would

be used by the lower-ranking priests (indeed, the Agolum Refugio might very

well be a slightly less-powerful version of the Agolum Fidelis).

So, what do you think about this idea?

Hi MT,

I like it enough to go with it! The names have the flavor I'd like in the campaign AND it emphasizes the church hierarchy (as seen in medieval times).

Thanks!

:thumbup:

Guest Major Tom

You're welcome.

I've been thinking about something that might cause some confusion for your

players once your campaign gets started. In an earlier post where I had given

you a suggestion for a name for your Church's guard unit, you mentioned that

you liked it, but that you might also use it as the name for the campaign's

version of the Inquisition. It occurred to me right then that maybe I should

see about coming up with a different name for the guard unit.

So, after scoping out the website where I do most of my searching for Latin

terms and/or words, and carefully checking out the definitions to make

sure I had the right words, this is what I managed to come up with:

Vigilia Ecclesiasticus ("Guardians of the Church")

My thinking was that you could keep the Fidei Defensori as the name for the

Church's investigational arm (a.k.a. the Inquisition), while the military section

of the Church would be known as the Vigilia Ecclesiasticus. There could even

be a special unit of the VE that answers solely to the FD, for the purposes of

suppressing activities deemed heretical by the Church.

What do you think of this idea?

I really like this idea for a campaign.

Here's a thought I had while thinking about this:

Scientists discover that Newton's Law of Conservation of Energy is incorrect. This is part of the basis of the proof, mix in other ideas and you have something workable. At any rate, part of this proof leads to technology that allows faster than light travel. The kicker is, this is all research that is discovered after the church contracts scientists to research the nature of the proof. This puts the control of FTL technology in the hands of the church.

Over the years (centuries, millenia, whatever makes the most sense) the church morphs from how we see it today. With the existence of God as a Proof (perhaps the proof is so potent some sects see the proof as god?), science can no longer be denied. The church becomes the primary source of scientific advancement. Priests fill a dual role, as both the evangelical arm, but also as scientists, furthering discovery. This change is almost accidental, but in order to understand the proof, quite a bit of scientific study is necessary. Because of this the education for priests becomes much more science oriented - the fact that the church holds the primary access to technology is a side effect.

This puts the church very much so in the position it had in the middle ages. They have the knowledge, the access to god, and the access to technology. They can hold this back for two primary reasons: one, people aren't ready for all of it, two, it keeps them in power (never hurts to have the political edge).

This also gives some backstory to the sect that doesn't like technology. They consider it blasphemous that God is reduced to mathematical formulae; it goes against the very nature of faith itself to have actual proof that he exists. They could also have 'issue' with the way the church uses technology as a tool for manipulating the masses (especially with concerns to how it is held and controlled). For these reasons they shun it; but you could change the levels of what they shun. Perhaps space travel is okay, but advanced quantum energy manipulation is bad (whatever-the-hell that means ;)

I was wondering: what tech levels will you have? Will there be alien races?

You're welcome.

My thinking was that you could keep the Fidei Defensori as the name for the

Church's investigational arm (a.k.a. the Inquisition), while the military section

of the Church would be known as the Vigilia Ecclesiasticus. There could even

be a special unit of the VE that answers solely to the FD, for the purposes of

suppressing activities deemed heretical by the Church.

Very cool.

Scientists discover that Newton's Law of Conservation of Energy is incorrect.

Umm. I don't guess it is important, but the law of conservation of energy is not one of Newton's. It is the First Law of Thermodynamics, and it was formulated by Julius Robert von Mayer in 1814, which was almost ninety years after Newton died.

The Big Question: Aliens?

I really like this idea for a campaign.

Here's a thought I had while thinking about this:...

I was wondering: what tech levels will you have? Will there be alien races?

Hi Phookz,

Thanks, I'm glad you like the campaign idea. Stay tuned to this thread for more development.

As for your thought on the campaign: Yes, that's where this is going. And yes, the church in this campaign will be very much like the early medieval church.

For your questions:

Tech levels will be very high. Low tech worlds will exist and will probably be in need of a mission (to bring "enlightenment" and technology).

I'm not sure about aliens yet. I'm trying to think what effects this would have on the campaign. What do you all think?

Thanks,

K.

Umm. I don't guess it is important' date=' but the law of conservation of energy is not one of Newton's. It is the First Law of Thermodynamics, and it was formulated by Julius Robert von Mayer in 1814, which was almost ninety years after Newton died.[/quote']

Doh! When I wrote that, for some reason I was thinking of Newton's Third Law of Motion "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". I guess it's been too long since I've taken my physics classes. Next time I'll be more careful when quoting physics laws. :think:

At any rate, I think the you get the gist of my post. Thanks for catching that - from now on I'll double check when I refer to something that really exists ;)

So, after scoping out the website where I do most of my searching for Latin

terms and/or words, and carefully checking out the definitions to make

sure I had the right words, this is what I managed to come up with:

Hi Major Tom,

Don't worry about checking too closely. I figure after about 100,000 years the language will have drifted (and probably not even be a language we recognize), so anything latin-esque will be great to transmit the idea of the campaign theme. I do like to get fairly close though.

K. :hail:

...Fidei Defensori as the name for the Church's investigational arm (a.k.a. the Inquisition),

while the military section of the Church would be known as the Vigilia Ecclesiasticus.

What do you think of this idea?

MT,

I like it enough to use it. Now for me to get to work writing up the details...

Stand by,

K. :think:

I'm wondering what effect the church has on law within the galaxy (is there more than one galaxy that is colonized?)

It might be interesting to have the church have powerful influence (maybe even limited or not-so-limited control) over the judicial arm of the government. The ideas of the church controlling technologies got me thinking, what if the church owned the jump drive (or whatever suitable name you have for it)? Obviously, they would guard its secrets closely, but the truth of how it works is bound to get out. So maybe they have laws created that give the control of this drive to the church. The rationale could be that the jump drive uses technology that is 'divine' - this could be technology directly related to the Divinity Proof. Because of it's divine nature, the church has control over how that technology is used. This could of course extend to other technologies that are based on this proff.

In practical terms, this is a minor issue with the common freighter captain - he simply needs the appropriate papers for his jump drive. However, larger ships (commercial transports, military vessels) might be required to have a member of the clergy onboard whenever the drive is in use - to ensure that it is used in an 'appropriate' way. This could have interesting implications for politics.

Anyways, it's just a thought. I really like the ideas you've got so far, I'm anxious to see where they go.

Hi Major Tom,

Don't worry about checking too closely. I figure after about 100,000 years the language will have drifted (and probably not even be a language we recognize), so anything Latin-esque will be great to transmit the idea of the campaign theme. I do like to get fairly close though.

K. :hail:

I hope you don't mine me countering your thought on this, but here is is anyway.

I would make sure you use the correct words in Latin as much as possible. I think you are right about the language drifting in it pronunciation. Heck, the English language has changed so much that if you went back in time to the middle ages you would not be able to understand them, and that is a lot less time then 100,000 years, but for the players (if they getting into it) it will add another level of realism, and therefore help suspend disbelief. I would think you would want to portray what they wanted to say not what was really said.

I guess if you wanted to go the rough of showing how the language has changed you could come up with new slang terms and pronunciations. That could be fun too.

Drakkenkin

Guest Major Tom

Hello again,

I had an idea that I wanted to try out on you last night, but I was booted off

the 'Net twice before I was able to submit the post. Hopefully, I'll be able to

get it posted this time.

With all of the holy hardware that it looks like you're planning on having in this

campaign, the obvious question is: Who exactly is going to be responsible for

building these items?

Well, in the WH40K setting, they have the Adeptus Mechanicus -- an order of

tech-priests who not only fabricate weapons for use by the forces of the Imp-

erium, but also construct the huge, cathedral-like starships.

It occurred to me that something similar might exist in your campaign -- maybe

not with the same name, but with the same function. So with this in mind, I'd

like to suggest the following:

The Fabrica Ecclesiasticus ("Armory of the Church")

This section of the Church is responsible not only for the development and cre-

ation of the various staves used by the priesthood, but also for the weapons

and starships employed by the Vigilia Ecclesiasticus. The head of this section

is traditionally known as the Fabricensis Primus ("First Armorer").

You like the idea?

Major Tom