Group Kelvarite Origin

CrosshairCollie

After one of the other threads, with inspiration by Hermit, I'm pondering a new campaign where all the PCs have kelvarite-derived powers though a shared origin (a la the Fantastic Four; all gained their different powers in the same way at the same time). Two aspects of the game I'm working on:

1. Why the Origin happened.

Considering Kelvarite's potential power, I could easily see some scientist or other capturing random people and exposing them to Kelvarite Radiation (K-Rad from here), so they could try to determine what human genetic structures breed what powers so they could custom-create their own super-team. So the PCs would all be random people of normal background who get their powers in the first game.

This provides some unity (the PCs have a reason to stick together; a shared enemy), spares me coming up with some cockamamie reason for the PCs to stick together, and gives me a recurring villain to work with, along with the possibility for a recurring enemy superteam (another set of random captures who were coerced/brainwashed/etc into serving).

2. Character Creation rules.

This is where I get worried about being too retentive. The following things leap out at me for creation rules:

A. No abnormal foci. Normal firearms, communications gear, that sort of thing is legal, but no super-armor, blasters or that sort of thing. The powers would be internal/natural.

B. No levels in Powers to begin with. If you haven't had powers yet, you can't have any skill with 'em.

C. Some Disadvantages would be essentially pre-assigned: A Hunted (by the scientist/organization), and a mixture of the typical Kelvarite-induced Disads (Vulnerable: Drains, Vulnerable: Electricity, Susceptible to Kelvarite), in addition to anything else that seemed obvious/appropriate (Secret IDs, etc). Should make it pretty easy to hit 150 points of Disads.

What I was thinking of doing was basically having the characters created at the Normal level first, with the skills and some Disadvantages, then using that to determine how much 'room' there is for powers and stats afterwards, hoping this will create more 'rounded' characters since the skills, perks, contacts, talents will, hopefully, be a forethought rather than an afterthought.

The downside is that the characters may be too similar, especially with the shared disadvantages, not to mention that I'll have to be very careful to play off those disads without making it a total party screw-over ("A machinegun loaded with Kelvarite bullets ... you suck, Dave."). Of course, that similarity is primarily in 'combat disads' ... the characters will (hopefully) be different in powers, noncombat disads, and personality.

A wise man once said that having to work within rules breeds creativity moreso than having no rules whatsoever. Does anybody think a game like this could work?

Secondly, to help with the character background/normal life stuff, I'm looking for a good character questionnaire. Anybody know where I can find one?

Re: Group Kelvarite Origin

two options

the first is the SR 20 questions. you can also find a varient on the web hanging around in various places.

the other thing I would suggest is Paul Jacques Heroes Now background generator.

if ya need a link to the 20 Q let me know and ill post it.

and group disadvantages can be a good thing if you want them to avoid combat on occasion.

Re: Group Kelvarite Origin

two options

the first is the SR 20 questions. if ya need a link to the 20 Q let me know and ill post it.

and group disadvantages can be a good thing if you want them to avoid combat on occasion.

Please and thank you on the 20 Questions link!

And yes, there is at least one player whom I would like to convince to avoid combat on occassion. :)