1st time HERO System GM advice

caid

Hoi all,

I've decided to try to emulate the feel from some of my console rpgs (mainly the Final Fantasy series) but as this is my first attempt at GMing HERO System, I wanted to ask some advice from the more experienced.

Are there any pitfalls in not being very strict in building everything the players come across with powers/advantages/limitations? Take potions for example. In Final Fantasy, there are these healing potions. You buy them in shops. If you're not KO'ed, they heal so-and-so many HPs. What would be the drawback of just saying that they heal 5 BODY, 25 STUN and leave it at that?

I've seen some discussions on how to model the materia based magic from FF7. These were mainly from sometime in 2003. Has anybody attempted to use these ideas since then? Any results worth mentioning? Did it turn out well?

I've never tried hexagonal-based battle maps and I'm not sure I will like it (the Cubic-Hex discussion alone makes me hesitate :winkgrin: ). Would it alter things largely to use a square-based grid instead?

I currently don't own Fantasy Hero or Fantasy Grimoire. Let's say I've already come up with my setting and my magic system, what reasons would you give for me to buy it/them?

Re: 1st time HERO System GM advice

I currently don't own Fantasy Hero or Fantasy Grimoire. Let's say I've already come up with my setting and my magic system, what reasons would you give for me to buy it/them?

There's a lot of good advice in Fantasy Hero about fine tuning the balance of magic systems and solving problems that can come up. It has advice for making weapons and armor too. All the rules are in the basic book, but it gives you the knowledge in how to apply them that an experienced GM would have.

I don't think there should be any problem with having potions heal a predictable amount. Just use the standard effect rules, 1 Die of Similified Healing w/ Standard Effect = 1 BODY and 3 Stun.

If the only appearance of potions is as items that PCs acquire from someone else, then statting them out is not usually a major concern. The only concerns I'd have would be if potions or other items could be made by the players - you might want to have some sense of the Active Points of the item for game balance purposes. Active Points also matter if the players are able to use Dispel-type spells against them.

The advantage of using a hex map is that it makes clear how many people can engage a single foe in normal Hand-to-Hand combat. In HERO one character in the center of a hex can be attacked by multiple foes from every hex facing, or attack enemies in up to six hexes adjacent to his own via the Sweep maneuver. If you can visualize that, want to change it, or don't see the situation as coming up much, then there's no harm in using grid squares equal to one game "inch" (two meters).

On a more general note, you might find some useful advice on this thread, a compilation of tips for new GMs from veterans, with particular emphasis on HERO game mastering. Your comments imply that you're not new to GMing in general, but I think you'll still derive benefit from it.

I hope that helps, and good luck with your game! :thumbup:

... you might want to have some sense of the Active Points of the item for game balance purposes. Active Points also matter if the players are able to use Dispel-type spells against them.

Ok, I'll buy that. Many times there seem to be several ways to build the same thing but with diffrent costs. Should you strive to always use the cheapest way or is it better to consequently use the same reasoning, even though it might lead to more expensive powers in some cases?

I hope that helps' date=' and good luck with your game! :thumbup: [/quote']

Thanks a lot! :)

Should you strive to always use the cheapest way or is it better to consequently use the same reasoning' date=' even though it might lead to more expensive powers in some cases?

As a player, it's easy to get caught up with finding the cheapest way. Thinking as a GM, I try to find a balance between cost and reasoning and handwaving.

For an example, an animated quill could be written as Telekenesis, but I reasoned that it was actually no different than a scribe being Summoned and tasked to scribe someone's dictation. Hence, I wrote it up as a Summon that animates the quill which gave the correct feel for what was happening than Telekenesis. The fact that it was way cheaper was simply coincidence. :angel:

As a player, it's easy to get caught up with finding the cheapest way. Thinking as a GM, I try to find a balance between cost and reasoning and handwaving.

For an example, an animated quill could be written as Telekenesis, but I reasoned that it was actually no different than a scribe being Summoned and tasked to scribe someone's dictation. Hence, I wrote it up as a Summon that animates the quill which gave the correct feel for what was happening than Telekenesis. The fact that it was way cheaper was simply coincidence. :angel:

Heh, well I think I'm going to need a little time getting used to the effect centered approach of building powers.

I'm still interested in hearing about any experiences playing in FF-like settings. Specifically the Materia related parts are of interest. I think it offers great potentials for quests (going after rare or unique Materia) and reduces the need for somebody to be branded "the mage" or "the healer", since it can be passed around between the characters. The possibility of combining them and more or less build your own magic items would at least appeal to me as a player. And... if things get out of hand... it can be stolen :eg:

I'm still interested in hearing about any experiences playing in FF-like settings.

I don't know much about FF7, but I'm starting a game based on FF: Crystal Chronicles. The magic in that game is also based on collecting items, but is pretty different in other ways.

One thing I've found is that the balancing factors built into the video game can sometimes translate over to an RPG really well. For instance, the balance between weapons and magic in FF:CC can translate right over to Hero. Weapons are more reliable and faster. Magic is slower and leaves you vulnerable, but can accomplish unusual things like ranged attacks, AOE attacks, paralyzing enemies, and hitting vulnerabilities. Not only does this make fighters and mages equally useful, but it forces the group to use teamwork. So, it's worth putting some thought into understanding the design decisions in your source material.

... Not only does this make fighters and mages equally useful' date=' but it forces the group to use teamwork. So, it's worth putting some thought into understanding the design decisions in your source material.[/quote']

That's the trick, isn't it? Keeping it balanced. The Materia based magic is somewhat balanced within the party, since there are no explicit mages (everybody can use a piece of materia). I'm more worried about keeping the balance with the rest of the world. I don't want the PCs powering up too fast or too slow. I really don't want to end up with a situation where the PCs in general can ignore everybody but the most powerful threats. I want them to be at least somewhat bothered by e.g. city guards or highway bandits.

In FF, you have both experience points (EXP) and ability points (AP). The former is typically used to increase skill levels or attributes while the latter is used for special abilities. Would such a diffrentiation be possible? It would enable me to limit the growth of magic while still allowing for them to improve their mundane abilities.

In FF, you have both experience points (EXP) and ability points (AP). The former is typically used to increase skill levels or attributes while the latter is used for special abilities. Would such a diffrentiation be possible? It would enable me to limit the growth of magic while still allowing for them to improve their mundane abilities.

Depending on exactly how you implement your magic system, that could be done easily. Just make house rule for giving out 2 kinds of experience, EXP that can only be spent on characteristics and skills (and possibly talents and perks), and AP that can be spent on powers. Hero already has a division between mundane abilities and supernatural powers that you can use.

This all depends on whether people pay points for magic, or whether it's treated as equipment that costs money. With magic items it could go either way. You'll want to make sure people pay points in some way for their powers if you use character points as your control mechanism.