Zodiac

lazarus

Starting a "campaign" soon (might just turn out to be a one-shot).

The premise behind this campaign is that the characters are starting out supervillains. This means that they need some superheroes to fight.

So, I got to thinking "Hm... who could they fight? What would their names be? What would their powers be?"... then I thought up the name Scorpio... which lends itself to having the team be Zodiac - names based on the Zodiacal signs.

So, here's the _start_ of the Scorpio write up, but I need more. I'd like to get him up to the 350 points that the characters will have, to potentially give them a challenge of a sort. Main issue is I don't remember the personality traits of Scorpios.

Anyway, here he is:

Scorpio.

value Stat Cost Roll

25 STR 15 14-

18 DEX 24 13-

20 CON 20 13-

20 BOD 20 13-

12 INT 2 11-

8 EGO -4 11-

10 PRE 0 11-

8 COM -1 11-

5 PD 0

4 ED 0

3 SPD 2

9 REC 0

40 END 0

43 STUN 0

0 LEAP -5

6 RUN 0

2 SWIM 0

Total: 53

Skills/Martial Arts

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Grab

3 Martial Throw

4 Martial Block

11 Acrobatics 17-

9 Breakfall 16-

9 Climbing 16-

7 Disguise 13-

3 Interrogation 11-

Total: 53

Powers

13 Carapace: Armour +10 rPD, Hardened, Always On

5 Prehensile Tail: Extra Limbs

45 Tail attack: HKA 3D6 AP, Only with tail (-1/2*)

Total: 63

Disadvantages:

Aversion to Killing (psych. lim. common, total): 20

Tail (distinctive features, not concealable, major reaction, normal senses): 20

Green scaly skin/carapace (distinctive features, not concealable, major reaction, normal senses): 15

Total: 55

Total points spent: 169/55 of 350 (200/150)

*reasoning behind this is that only one of three limbs can use this attack.

Now, I'm hunting for ways to get the cost up, as I said. I don't just want to improve the stats, as they're about right I think.

More information about Scorpio:

He was exiled at birth, thrown into the wilderness, due to his skin and tail. He's had to survive outside of society until about 8 years ago (when he was 15), when he was found by some fellow superheroes. Slowly, he learned to speak English, and how modern society functions. He chose the name Scorpio, based on his scorpion-like tail. Zodiac, the team he works with, is feared among the common citizen, but that fear is baseless. Most of the Zodiac teammembers are physically mutated and reviled. The team, however, still attempts to keep the city clean and protect its citizens from the evils of the world.

As I get more of the team written, they'll go here. But, before I get that far, I need help to get this guy up to snuff, then find some astrology site detailing personality types.

I'd also like pointers on how to run that campaign, as I'm new to GMing Supers :P If done right, the citizenry will see the PC group as being the good guys, and Zodiac as being the bad guys, when the actual roles are reversed.

Thanks,

Laz

Re: Zodiac

Instead of the disadvantage that you placed on tail, just go with -1/2 Restrainable disad, since it makes more sense, since normally it doesn't matter where the atack originates from, although you could also add Not Usable with Sweep Maneuver as well(-1/4) since the attack can only be used once per phase.

If you want to stick with the scorpion schtick, maybe add safe:intense heat and Immunity:Scorpion Venom(4 points for the two).

Increased speed would also be justifiable, although he isn't multi-legged like a scorpion, logic has never stopped comics, has it? Definately Lightning Reflexes to simulate the quick tail strike of scorpions. Maybe add a few points rED to carpace, could also add the visible disad to armor, since the source of his protection is visible, he would make more noise when moving due to the plates rubbing together and would probably smell somewhat odd as well(-1/4).

Due to the past you posted, he would also need Survival:Subtropical and Temperate, possibly Urban as well at a reasonable level.

Honestly, can't really see Disguise being too feasible if he's always covered with a hard chitinous armor shell- it would be too much to work around for conventional disguise techniques.

Extra Pre, only for offensive uses, due to his monstrous nature(-1).

This is all I could think up off the top of my head- hope you like and decide to use.

how does one buy Specialized Skills? (as in your Survival: Subtropics)

*note: I only have Sidekick, and am building according to those rules

Otherwise, good suggestions.

Immunity and Safe would be Life Supports, correct?

And I thought Armour _was_ visible by default? Or would your suggestions be putting Visible (hearing) and Visible (smell) to it?

Laz doesn't have Hero Designer, so is doing this in the Demo, and writing it all down :(

Sorry, I use the Big Green Man Book, the fifth edition hero book. Safe and Immunity are under life support, yes. Armor is not inherently visible, as it is a 0 end cost standard power, so you would buy visible for it as a -1/4 disad and then you must define three sense groups that it can be spotted with, such as my example of sight, hearing and smell.

Survival, at least in the Fifth Ed. book is bought by the terrain that it is usable in, not being automatically in effect for all, so that's how I listed it- if just general in Sidekick then go with that- it seems to fit the concept.

I have been using Zodiac for many, many years. Long before Doug's module was published my Zodiac had built up a rep as my toughest villain group. When the Zodiac Conspiracy was published, I took part of my group and part of Doug's and the result became a truly fearsome organization . . . however . . . I have been replacing the members of my Zodiac that are holdovers from Doug's module for my website. Currently all that remains of that part of the team is four of Doug's pieces of art, Aries, Aquarius, Capricorn and Taurus. I will never replace either Taurus or Capricorn as both are integal parts of my campaign's history but the rest are my work.

Aries is the scout.

Aquarius is a mutate with stolen weather powers.

Cancer has yet to be replaced.

Capricorn is somewhat the same as Doug's orginal but with a very highly developed personality and history.

Gemini has yet to be replaced.

Leo is a flaming, flying energy projector.

Libra is an egoist.

Pisces is a mage.

Sagittarius is an assassin.

Scorpio is a speedster.

Taurus is a cyborg minotaur, Doug's, with changes.

Virgo is a martial artist.

I made an effort to incorporate the psychological traits of the classical Zodiac. Leo is overconfident, vicious, hedonist. Libra is a diplomatic flirt, Aries always has to go first. Sagittarius is an impulsive casual killer. Scorpio is sensual, emotional and falls in love easily. And so on.

While I don't have all twelve at the moment, and can't display Taurus or Capricorn, I hope this might help.

http://the-wild-hunt.org/villains/zodiac/index.html