Setting Idea

SleepyDrug

Re: Setting Idea

Anyone here use any ideas from the Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon? Or have read the books.

I'm re-reading it right now and while i wouldn't use the world whole cloth, it has some great ideas in it.

Many years ago (ie. when the books were still new) I used it, pretty much in whole, as a setting for a short-lived campaign.

It's a nice setting, but lacks some of the "whiz-bang" stuff that my players expected in a fantasy setting.

John D

Sorting through the book, i've found lots of information on somethings but very little on other items. I realize thats because only the stuff relevent to the plot is described, but it makes an adaption hard to do.

Did you have to fill things in?

Just finished re-reading the series last month, actually. Though I found myself skipping ahead through some bits of it. It really does have a lot of potential as a setting. I especially liked Moon's treatment of gnomes (definitely a nice change of pace from "incompetent mechanics", "tricky illusionists" or "skinny dwarves" which is the usual spectrum). The elves were well-done, too, occupying a nice middle ground between Tolkien-inspired etherealness and a somewhat more prosaic realism.

Also, I remember thinking, when I read the Complete Paladin's Handbook (for AD&D 2ed.), that some of the ideas in there were inspired by the Deed of Paksenarrion.

I also liked her hints that rangers had special powers such as sensing the elfane taig and the martial orders.

But as for running it as a setting; we have tons on Gird but know almost nothing of Falk or Camwyn. Nor do we ever see a map of the North during Paks time.