After the Ultimate Evil... what?

DocMan

Re: After the Ultimate Evil... what?

The whole 'ultimate evil is gone and now there's a opening at the top' idea is a good one. I advise checking out the second season of the anime Slayers (not only for Xellos, one of the best characters of all time, but it fits this plot quite nicely). Okay, your group has beaten the ultimate evil. Now, in order to ascend to the throne of evil, a dozen demons with powers just a smidgeon under the power level of the ultimate evil must get rid of you.

I'm also a big fan of storylines where 'While you're distracted in your adventures and battles against an ultimate evil, a new threat has been building right under your nose, whether's it's a secret society or just a regular ol' criminal organization'. Maybe a villain team that had just average powers suddenly gets a lot financing/mystical powers and gets a lot more powerful. The WWE (back then the WWF) did this back when the 'Corporation' was around. The Corporation was a team of fairly powerful villains that was mostly concentrated on facing off against Steve Austin. In the meantime, the Undertaker was forming the 'Ministry of Darkness' by kidnapping and transforming wrestlers into new characters. The Ministry slowly grew in power but wasn't considered a major major threat until one day the Corporation and the Ministry joined forces (forming the Corporate Ministry) which was an absolutely devastating group. (Wrestling fanatics: I know I left some parts out, but I just wanted to get to the point ;-)

I do also like the idea of 'other dimensions/universe's ultimate evil... you beat the ultimate evil... you're now known universe wide... so everybody wants you to take out their ulimate evil... also, what other villain wouldn't love a chance to be able to say that they've beaten the guys who could beat the ultimate evil?

-Kevin

My first thought: "Gee Trebuchet' date=' why are you so crankypants?" and then I saw who you were responding to. lol I need my coffee. :help:[/quote']Considering I started a whole thread in the Champions forum on running a long-term space story arc for exactly this purpose, that would have been a bit premature. :D

Don't worry; Mentor needs his morning coffee fix before his brain fires up too...

Coffee. Ugh. I never could figure out how something that smells so good can taste so bad. :tonguewav:

One can take this thread either way. I was thinking in terms of the "ultimate" as in literally ultimate evil, the single one which, once met, fulfills the campaigns raison d'etre and from which point the campaign is fundamentally redesigned (as in going to space) or gracefully ends. Though it's also see it more as the demise of the current big bad.

As to the first interpretation, how many people have truly ended campaigns with that big climax? And how many intended to but then moved the campaign on into new and different areas?