Ww2 Hero

Toadmaster

Well since Susano and Shadowcat have been so kind as to stat out some WW2 vehicles I figured I'd do my part by suggesting some useful resource material for a WW2 campaign.

GURPS has done its usual nice job on the GURPS WW2 series, so far they've covered France, England, Germany, Italy, the US and Finland plus the supernatural angle and vehicles.

Pinnacle has the Weird War series for D20, but despite the supernatural angle and its intended d20 system Weird War is a great resource for a straight WW2 campaign, they now have books for NW Europe (D-Day), the Russian Front, North Africa and the Pacific. If you are into a supernatural campaign I would really recommend this series, for that purpose there is also a weird war creature book with such things as wehrwolves, gremlins, ghost tanks etc.

Actual history books that I think would be quite helpful are:

Anything by Stephen Ambrose, particularly Band of Brothers or Pegasus Bridge

An Army at Dawn (author escapes me now) a good up close look at the war in North Africa.

A Bridge too far and The longest day by Cornelius Ryan, covers Operation Market Garden and the Normandy Landings, lots of personal accounts good for flavoring a WW2 campaign.

OSS to Green beret by Aaron Banks, written by a founder of the modern US Special Forces the first half of the book describes his experiences with the OSS (US Office of Strategic Services) organizing partisan bands, sabotage teams etc.

The Black devil Brigade by Joseph Springer, covers the history of the First Special Service Force, a joint US Canada spec ops unit specializing in mountain warfare.

The old Time Life WW2 series is worth a look too if you can find them.

Movies for those who want a more visual intro to the period

HBO's Band of Brothers

Saving Private Ryan

The Guns of Navaronne

The Longest Day

A Bridge too far

Enemy at the Gates

Where Eagles dare (kind of goofy but fun Clint Eastwood flick)

Kelly's heroes (see above)

The Dirty Dozen (kind of goofy but fun all star cast flick)

Hell is for Heroes (pretty good all star cast with Steve Mcqueen and a really young Bob Newhart)

The Great escape

The fighting seabees (can't beat steamshovels vs Japanese machinegun nests)

For those wanting a little naval action

Operation Petticoat (goofy but some good ideas)

Run Silent, Run Deep

Das Boot

Mr Roberts

Tora, Tora, Tora

Midway

I would list some tanks and equipment books but they come and go way to fast, my advice go to Borders or Barnes & Noble frequently. There is also alot available online these days.

Hope this is helpful, I can't wait to sucker in some players for a WW2 game or better yet find one in progress.

Everyone else please feel free to add your own suggestions if I missed anything.

Re: Ww2 Hero

One thing I'd suggest is to find those old propaganda films made during the war. They are sometimes called the "Why We Fight" series. You should be able to find them around $2 each (try Sam's). While they are complete propaganda they do give a great feel for what people thought about the war while it was going on. They also have so good stuff about the home front.

Aaron

Re: Ww2 Hero

for RPG's' date=' good luck finding a copy, but what about Behind Enemy Lines from FASA... I know this is really dating myself[/quote']

Oh, good point, I have both versions FASA and the later Companions version. I prefer the FASA version but either would be handy. Both include some missions and encounter tables that would be quite useful. I got mine on ebay, prices range from $2 to $50 depending on how the bidding goes (I got mine for about $10) becareful though because both versions have several books and I've seen incomplete sets sold that the seller either didn't know or failed to mention are not complete. Both sets were sold as boxed sets with several books.

Pretty basic games but either version seems quite playable on their own.