Fantasia: witch needs review

Guest Witch Doctor

Guest Witch Doctor

FANTASIA OHLEANDER

“Fantasia, what’s this talk about you wanting to leave Nowhere?†the elder asked her, his steel grey eyes peering over the scratched up glasses which rested on his nose. It was a tone intended to give the impression that the entire discussion, or at least the conclusion, had already been reached in the man’s mind. Most of the townsfolk didn’t press the issue when they heard it. He had underestimated Fantasia Oleander.

“You’ve heard?†she smiled innocently, “of course, you’ve heard..yes, I plan to help the fight against crime.†“You plan to bring attention to us,†the elder replied miffed that she hadn’t backed down as he’d intended for her to do. “The spells are strong and have never failed,†she replied dismissively, “there’s no sign that they’re going to fail anytime soon, not even if I do leave.†She was referring to the spells set around Nowhere, Ohio, her home, which shielded outsiders from realizing that it was a place of magic. “And what if they do fail?†the elder replied. “I’m sure there’s enough towns folk to repair them.†She answered. Everyone in the town could work magic.

“Besides, its not like we don’t already interact with the outside world – Coach Perry has outsiders come here every month to play basketball against our high school.†The elder nodded, “it didn’t used to be like that and I’m afraid the town council may have to tell Coach Perry to stop soon.†Fantasia was upset, “why?†“I’m not sure the town can risk the exposure.†“And what would you have us do? Are you and the council planning to keep us away from the outside world forever?†“Wish that I could.†“But you can’t. You know and I know that the outside world is getting closer. Our spells will last for a pretty long time, but what if they don’t and we can’t repair them? What then? It was only a few years ago that we had a group of terrorists crash a plane in Pennsylvania. What if they’d done it here?†The elder was speechless, so she continued, “oh sure, we could keep it from crashing, but could we keep it quiet? Listen, the world is getting smaller and you know it. The people of Nowhere have to be ready. And I’ll tell you this..if we wait here, huddled and hidden, for the day to come when the outside world finally realizes what we’ve been hiding from them, its not going to be pretty. We need to take an active role before that. We need to start taking an active role now.â€

“Fantasia, if you leave, we might not let you come back – you should know that,†the elder stated. She was about to open her mouth again, but quickly shut it. Her family was the most important thing in the world to her. Could she risk never seeing them again?

She turned away and faced the wall. She didn’t want the elder to see how much that potential threat had shaken her.

“..But..but if I don’t leave, what’s going to happen when we are discovered? What’s going to happen to Bobby? What’s going to happen to Mikey?†She turned to face the elder again, “you know the spells aren’t going to last. I have to do this.â€

The elder nodded accepting her decision. “I wish you the best child, I really do. Let’s hope that you will one day return to us.â€

Quote: “My parents named me Fantasia. They once saw a cartoon by that name that they loved. It has dancing hippos and walking broomsticks and, hey, you wanna be a dancing hippo?â€

Personality: Fantasia is very strong willed, out-going, and cheerful. She has a small town charm, a very earthy personality which helps to keep the team rooted as it runs from massive adventure to massive adventure. This lays over a much deeper and harder to see current of the fantastic as she is the team’s witch. She is the kind of character who can be making a pot of vegetable soup or chili while she’s doodling up a spell to conjure a familiar.

Appearance: Fantasia has a “home-spun†look about her with a freckled face and long reddish brown hair which she wears pulled back into a pony tail. She is voluptuous and overweight, though not obese. She looks out of shape, but is actually in good shape, having grown up on a farm and working out regularly with the other team members. In her superhero role, she wears a robe of a bluish-grey hue, with the hood down showing her face. She does not conceal her identity.

Powers: Fantasia is the team’s witch. The flexibility of her powers is truly astounding as she seems to be able to invoke any effect for which she can create a spell (which means a rhyming incantation). However, her spells tend to produce exactly what she requests (ie. The effects follow the specific wording of the incantation). In addition, she is usually seen with her pet raven which is, itself, a magical beast able to speak English.

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

13 STR 3 12- Lift 151.6kg; 2 1/2d6; [1]

17 DEX 21 12- OCV 6 DCV 6

13 CON 6 12-

13 BODY 6 12-

17 INT 7 12- PER Roll 12-

17 EGO 14 12- ECV: 6

23 PRE 13 14- PRE Attack: 4 1/2d6

13 COM 2 12-

8/18 PD 5 Total: 8/18 PD (0/10 rPD)

8/18 ED 5 Total: 8/18 ED (0/10 rED)

5 SPD 23 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

17 REC 22

26 END 0

27 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 127

Movement: Running: 6" / 12"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Leaping: 2" / 4"

Cost Powers END

61 Magic: Variable Power Pool, 52 base + 9 control cost, (78 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (Folk Magic; -1/2); all slots Incantations (Complex; must rhyme and directly relate to the spell's effects; -1/2), Spell (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

28 Ancient Shield of the Hearth Guardian: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED/10 Mental Defense/10 Power Defense) (Protect Carried Items) (50 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (Folk Magic; -1/2), Incantations (Summon the Hearth Guardian; -1/4) 5

Perks

3 Anonymity

12 Contact (Contact has: very useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (12 Active Points) 8-

14 Follower Note: "Poe" the Raven-20 Str -3014 Dex 126 Con -83 Body -1415 Int 55 Ego -1010 Pre 08 Com -12 PD 22 ED 12 Spd 02 Rec 216 End 212 Stun 6CHAR -33Run 1"/2"Leaping 0"/0"Flight 9"/18"Swim 0"/0"5 Beak HKA 1point12 Wings Flight 9": Restrainable (-1/2)-10 Short Legs Running -5"-2 Nonaquatic Swimming -2"5 Birds' Eyes: Increased Arc of Perception (240degree) for sight group10 Hard to Kill +2 DCV5 Easily Hidden +4 to Concealment (self only)1 Understanding: Language: English (basic conversation)10 Mind Link, one mind (Fantasia) Psychic Bond3 Mimicry 11-POWERS AND SKILLSDisads15+ Physical Lim: Animal Intelligence10 Physical Lim: Diminuative10 Physical Lim: Very Limited ManipulationTotal Cost -12

Talents

20 Animal Friendship

5 Magesight

2 Trackless Stride

Skills

5 Analyze: Magic 13-

3 Bureaucratics 14-

24 +8 with Folk Magic Note: with magic

3 Concealment 12-

3 Conversation 14-

3 Deduction 12-

3 Interrogation 14-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Persuasion 14-

3 Tactics 12-

Everyman Skills

0 1) AK: Home City 11-

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Computer Programming 8-

0 5) Concealment 8-

0 6) Conversation 8-

0 7) Deduction 8-

0 8) Language: English (native)

0 9) PS: Job 11-

0 10) Paramedics 8-

0 11) Persuasion 8-

0 12) Shadowing 8-

0 13) Stealth 8-

0 14) TF: Small Ground Vehicles (Everyman)

Hero City Team Package

2 1) AK: Company Theme Parks and Resorts 11-

2 2) KS: Media Relations 11-

2 3) KS: The Corporation 11-

-10 4) Monitored by the Media 8 or less

-10 5) Social Limitation: Celebrity

10 6) Team Base and Vehicle Donations

12 7) Team Communicator

2 Animal Handler 14-

15 Power 17-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 224

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

20 Dependent NPC: Nowhere residents 8- (Incompetent; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

5 Dependence: must "gather power" in kitchen magic -30 Active Points from Affected Power (Very Common, 1 Day)

15 Distinctive Features: appears overweight (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Distinctive Features: Magical (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

20 Hunted: Mystery 8- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Uncomfortable with Big City life (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Reputation: Eccentric , 11-

10 Susceptibility: Pollution and Artificial Toxins, 1d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon)

15 Social Limitation: Public ID: Hero City member (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: Fish out of water (Frequently, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Pollution and Artificial Toxins (Uncommon)

0 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Guest Witch Doctor

Re: Fantasia: witch needs review

RE: 15 Distinctive Features: appears overweight (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses).

Question: how is this distinctive enough to be worth points?

I don't know. What should be worth points? If the character were obviously a member of a minority group which is discriminated against (Black, Arabic, Large people, midgets, whatever) how many points should it be worth?

I don't know. What should be worth points? If the character were obviously a member of a minority group which is discriminated against (Black' date=' Arabic, Large people, midgets, whatever) how many points should it be worth?[/quote']

Try Physical Limitation: Overweight

http://www.globalguardians.com/masterlists/masterlistop.php#Overweight

Also,if her Power skill is based on INT,then it should have a a base roll of 12-.

(17-12)*2 +3 = (5)*2 +3=10+3 = 13 points,not 15 points (saving 2 points).

Also,why are her INT & EGO scores both 17? If both her Analyse Magic & Power skill rolls remain the same,then raising her INT & EGO to 18 would save another character point. And why does she have a PRE of 23? That's higher PRE than most of the Champions,who generally (if I remember rightly ) have a PRE of 20. And I wouldn't allow her to purchase +8 skill levels with magic for only 24 points. Remember,she has a VPP,not a Multipower.

(And if I was permitting such a restricted VPP,I'd also require a description of what sort of Powers the VPP can emulate,as well.)

I don't know. What should be worth points? If the character were obviously a member of a minority group which is discriminated against (Black' date=' Arabic, Large people, midgets, whatever) how many points should it be worth?[/quote']

"Overweight" is one of those "distinctive features" that's very much dependent on context. Fantasia's description makes it clear that she's well-propotioned for someone of her weight, not obese. If she's hanging around Hollywood-thin heroin-chic people all day, it could be considered very distinctive. On the other hand, if she mostly lives among "normal" folks, Fantasia's proportions would be of only minor note. I mean, I see a *lot* of overweight but not obese women every day.

Guest Witch Doctor

"Overweight" is one of those "distinctive features" that's very much dependent on context. Fantasia's description makes it clear that she's well-propotioned for someone of her weight' date=' not obese. If she's hanging around Hollywood-thin heroin-chic people all day, it could be considered very distinctive. On the other hand, if she mostly lives among "normal" folks, Fantasia's proportions would be of only minor note. I mean, I see a *lot* of overweight but not obese women every day.[/quote']

How many overweight people exist in the Superhero jet set in your game?

Just read some comics, and you'll see that being overweight is quite a distinctive feature. Admittedly, it completely depends on the campaign, and the GM, but I would rate overweight as more distinctive than being black, hispanic or asian on average. Not to say that there might not be social limitations from being a minority, but as far as DF goes I'd say that overweight would be more of a disadvantage. How it's more of a disadvantage than being a mutant is a little odd, but as long as your GM doesn't care.

-B

How many overweight people exist in the Superhero jet set in your game?

Well, my particular game isn't in the jet set, but at a school for super teens; there are a number of overweight characters, the only one who gets points for it is grossly obese.

And again, it depends on whether Fantasia spends *all* her time around her supermodel metahuman teammates, or spends quite a bit of time interacting with normal humans in civilian-style settings.

I sent a long review of this a few days ago, but the Hero boards somehow lost the whole message. Arrggh. I'm trying again.

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

13 STR 3 12- Lift 151.6kg; 2 1/2d6; [1]

17 DEX 21 12- OCV 6 DCV 6

13 CON 6 12-

13 BODY 6 12-

17 INT 7 12- PER Roll 12-

17 EGO 14 12- ECV: 6

23 PRE 13 14- PRE Attack: 4 1/2d6

13 COM 2 12-

8/18 PD 5 Total: 8/18 PD (0/10 rPD)

8/18 ED 5 Total: 8/18 ED (0/10 rED)

17 REC 22

26 END 0

27 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 127

[/Quote]

Fantasia's characteristics strike me as interesting, but largely inefficient. The 17 INT rounds poorly. The odd-numbered COM is difficult to deal with (and, I believe, conflicts with house rules for the GGU). The PRE seems quite high for her concept, but the CON seems very low. The high REC, compared with the low END and STUN, make for an interesting dynamic. You might want to look into making her a little more efficient for a superhero campaign. She seems pretty fragile to me.

61 Magic: Variable Power Pool, 52 base + 9 control cost, (78 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (Folk Magic; -1/2); all slots Incantations (Complex; must rhyme and directly relate to the spell's effects; -1/2), Spell (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

[/Quote]

You definitely need to define the most commonly used spells in her pool. Aside from that, here are some more thoughts.

• I love the rhyming Incantations.
  • The Concentration Limitation makes her even more fragile. In any kind of combat, she's apt to get hit a lot. With her relatively low defenses, will she be able to "take it"?
  • I'm not sure what the "Spell" limitation is supposed to signify, nor why it applies to all slots rather than the VPP itself.
  • The 52-point base means that her most powerful abilities will likely be less powerful than those of her teammates and enemies.

28 Ancient Shield of the Hearth Guardian: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED/10 Mental Defense/10 Power Defense) (Protect Carried Items) (50 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (Folk Magic; -1/2), Incantations (Summon the Hearth Guardian; -1/4) 5

[/Quote]What does "Summon the Hearth Guardian mean? Does a full limitation apply to a skill roll that's only required to stop or start a power?

3 Anonymity

[/Quote]

I'm not sure what this means, exactly. It doesn't seem to gel well with a Public ID, nor with a celebrity.

12 Contact (Contact has: very useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (12 Active Points) 8-

[/Quote]

The Contact needs to be defined and this is awfully steep for an 8- Contact. Assuming that this means the Elder Council, I'd recommend either just selecting a single member as a Contact or at least downgrading the Contact from Very Useful to Useful (after all, Fantasia isn't going to be anywhere near Ohio for most of her adventures).

14 Follower Note: "Poe" the Raven-20 Str -3014 Dex 126 Con -83 Body -1415 Int 55 Ego -1010 Pre 08 Com -12 PD 22 ED 12 Spd 02 Rec 216 End 212 Stun 6CHAR -33Run 1"/2"Leaping 0"/0"Flight 9"/18"Swim 0"/0"5 Beak HKA 1point12 Wings Flight 9": Restrainable (-1/2)-10 Short Legs Running -5"-2 Nonaquatic Swimming -2"5 Birds' Eyes: Increased Arc of Perception (240degree) for sight group10 Hard to Kill +2 DCV5 Easily Hidden +4 to Concealment (self only)1 Understanding: Language: English (basic conversation)10 Mind Link, one mind (Fantasia) Psychic Bond3 Mimicry 11-POWERS AND SKILLSDisads15+ Physical Lim: Animal Intelligence10 Physical Lim: Diminuative10 Physical Lim: Very Limited ManipulationTotal Cost -12

[/Quote]

There are some formatting issues here. When I review the character, I'll want an independent character sheet, including background, quote, etc.

20 Animal Friendship

[/Quote]

I don't have the appropriate book handy, but this strikes me as quite expensive for the return you'll be getting. I'd strongly recommend ditching this (possibly building a spell or two for the VPP that accomplishes the same basic thing) and putting the points into something more useful.

24 +8 with Folk Magic Note: with magic

[/Quote]

According to house rules, a level in Magic should be at least a 5-point level. This is a *lot* of levels.

15 Power 17-

All of these need to be defined.

20 Dependent NPC: Nowhere residents 8- (Incompetent; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

Are they really all incompetent? I'd say these should be Normals.

5 Dependence: must "gather power" in kitchen magic -30 Active Points from Affected Power (Very Common, 1 Day)

I've got no idea what this means. That should be defined under her Powers description.

15 Distinctive Features: appears overweight (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

[/Quote]

I'd still recommend the Physical Limitation I pointed you to. Seems high.

Hope all of this helps and we can finalize her *very* soon.

Guest Witch Doctor

I left out much of the flavor text, but here's the new version

I gave her Anonymity to reflect the fact that much of her life, particularly as it relates to the secret of Nowhere, is unknown. I guess I could take this as some sort of Social Lim: Harmful Secret, but I don't know if that's right, so I went with the more expensive of the two.

I gave her a requirement to perform "Kitchen Magic" for an hour each day because I wanted to give her a requirement to do meditation an hour each day, but she's not that kind of mage. So, I went with something more "folk magic-y". It basically means that she needs to spend an hour each day in a kitchen, though even a makeshift kitchen (re: campfire) will work. Come to think of it, I'll need to give her a PS: in Cooking

I have no idea how powerful the other characters are, so I upped the VPP as per your suggestion, but don't know if I upped it too high, not high enough, or just right. By the same token, you said she was frail, but I don't know how hardy to make her, so I upped her ability to take damage, but don't know if I upped it enough or too much.

Fantasia Ohleander

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

13 STR 3 12- Lift 151.6kg; 2 1/2d6 HTH damage [1]

17 DEX 21 12- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

18 CON 16 13-

13 BODY 6 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

18 EGO 16 13- ECV: 6

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

14 COM 2 12-

14 PD 11 Total: 14/24 PD (0/10 rPD)

14 ED 10 Total: 14/24 ED (0/10 rED)

18 REC 22

36 END 0

29 STUN 0 Total Characteristics Cost: 146

Movement: Running: 6"/[Noncombat]"

Leaping: 2 1/2"/[Noncombat]"

Swimming: 2"/[Noncombat]"

Cost Powers END

88 Magic: Variable Power Pool, 72 base + 16 control cost, (108 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (Folk Magic; -1/2); all slots Incantations (Complex; must rhyme and directly relate to the spell's effects; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Perks

3 Anonymity

4 Contact Nowhere Elder(Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 8-

14 Follower

Talents

5 Magesight

2 Trackless Stride

Skills

5 Analyze: Magic 14-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

10 +2 with Magic

3 Concealment 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Interrogation 13-

3 Paramedics 13-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Tactics 13-

Everyman Skills

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Computer Programming 8-

0 5) Concealment 8-

0 6) Conversation 8-

0 7) Deduction 8-

0 8) Language: English (native)

0 10) Paramedics 8-

0 11) Persuasion 8-

0 12) Shadowing 8-

0 13) Stealth 8-

0 14) TF: Small Ground Vehicles (Everyman)

Hero City Team Package

2 1) AK: Company Theme Parks and Resorts 11-

2 2) KS: Media Relations 11-

2 3) KS: The Corporation 11-

-10 4) Monitored by the Media 8 or less

-10 5) Social Limitation: Celebrity

10 6) Team Base and Vehicle Donations

12 7) Team Communicator

2 Animal Handler 13-

11 Power Folk Magic 17-

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 204

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

15 Dependent NPC: Nowhere residents 8- (Normal; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

5 Physical Limitation: Overweight (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

5 Distinctive Features: Magical (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

20 Hunted: Mystery 8- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Annoyingly Cheerful (Very Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Uncomfortable with Big City life (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Reputation: Eccentric , 11-

10 Susceptibility: Pollution and Artificial Toxins, 1d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon)

15 Social Limitation: Public ID: Hero City member (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: Fish out of water (Frequently, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Pollution and Artificial Toxins (Uncommon)

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

I gave her Anonymity to reflect the fact that much of her life, particularly as it relates to the secret of Nowhere, is unknown. I guess I could take this as some sort of Social Lim: Harmful Secret, but I don't know if that's right, so I went with the more expensive of the two.

I'd recommend writing this up as either the Social Limitation you mentioned or as a Psychological Limitation: Must Protect Secret of Nowhere, Ohio. (I still need that encyclopedia entry, by the way). I'm not sure what book Anonymity is in, but it doesn't seem appropriate.

I gave her a requirement to perform "Kitchen Magic" for an hour each day because I wanted to give her a requirement to do meditation an hour each day, but she's not that kind of mage. So, I went with something more "folk magic-y". It basically means that she needs to spend an hour each day in a kitchen, though even a makeshift kitchen (re: campfire) will work. Come to think of it, I'll need to give her a PS: in Cooking

Sounds fine to me (just include this information in her powers description in her background). Since you still need to define her everyman skills, you can use that if you like, or buy it as an additional skill.

I have no idea how powerful the other characters are, so I upped the VPP as per your suggestion, but don't know if I upped it too high, not high enough, or just right. By the same token, you said she was frail, but I don't know how hardy to make her, so I upped her ability to take damage, but don't know if I upped it enough or too much.

She looks decent to me, and less fragile. The VPP is actually a little higher now than I would have expected (I was picturing something in the 60 to 65 point range), but that's really okay. You'll probably want her to have multiple spells available at the same time. I'd prefer that you keep the Active Points of the spells down to 65 points or so for the most part. A 14d6 + 1 EB might be a bit much, at least to start with.

Everyman Skills

Please go ahead and define these.

Looking good.

In response to the request for spell suggestions, here are my thoughts:

From the powers description, there should be on every spell:

Side Effect (Minor to Major at GM's discretion; Not All the Time; The effects follow the specific wording of the incantation)

Is the Concentration only during the spell casting or throughout (should be specified)?

I tend to like to build mages around certain themes rather than have them do everything (I wrote Empress as a spirit mage; I wrote The Magician as an illusionist, etc.). So, I visualized Fantasia as an enchantress mostly because of the name.

1) Animate Object: Telekinesis - Uncontrolled, OAF: Appropriate Available Object(s); Limit: Object Can Only Move up to 6" per Phase [this is like when Mickey animated the brooms to carry water; this should be fairly versatile anyway - punch, grab, etc.]

2) Aflame: Energy Blast - Indirect, Uncontrolled, Sticky, Limit: Only vs. Flammable Objects

3) Shadow Dance: Images vs. Sight - Limit: Must Extrude from a Shadow

4) Magic Carpet Ride: Flight - Usable on Others (2x Mass), No Range, OAF: Appropriate Available Sturdy Flat Object [i.e., doesn't necessarily have to be a carpet]

5) Crystal Ball: Clairsentience of Sight and Hearing - OAF: Available Spherical Object

6) Secret Door: Desolidification - Usable as an Attack, Limit: Only against Barriers [i'm not sure if this is the right way to do this, basically, rather than the character becoming desolid, the barrier becomes desolid to let people through without really opening]

7) Shadow Wall: Force Wall - Limit: Must Follow Shadow Dance

8) Pile of Stuff: Entangle - Limit: Must Follow Animate Object

9) Turnabout: Missile Deflection: Reflection vs. Thrown, Arrows, Bullets, Shrapnel