Powered Armor & Mecha

Cecil Starlin

Has anyone seen a write-up for Powered Armor and/or Mecha for Hero5? I'm new to the game as well as this board. If so could you point me in the direction? I know the book gives a brief example of Powered Armor, but it's just way to simple for what I'm looking for.

If no one can reference me, does anyone have some advice? I looked at the Vehicle Construction and I'm thinking of using a slight varient of that. Basically figuring out the abilities individually and then having characters buy their PA's stat by stat. I'm kinda looking for a Bubble GUm Crisis (Fusion) type Powered Armor System.

Any help or suggestions will be useful

Thanks in Advance,

Cecil Starlin

Powered armor is generally not built using vehicle rules but rather a combination of powers, characteristics, limitations, and advantages run through a focus (the suit of armor). There are many examples out there in published books, most of them will be found in Champions supplements.

Originally posted by Barghest

Powered armor is generally not built using vehicle rules but rather a combination of powers, characteristics, limitations, and advantages run through a focus (the suit of armor). There are many examples out there in published books, most of them will be found in Champions supplements.

Actually, there are plenty of people who use the Vehicles rules to design PA. It really depends on the sfx and the game effects you want the PA to have.

If you want the PA to be so tough that the pilot is in no danger whatsoever until the PA is destroyed, then Vehicle is the way to go. If you want the Pilot to take some damage if the PA is hit, then Armor is the way to go.

Personaly, I use both methods. I use Armor with characteristic enhancements for smaller, personal scale Powered Armor (like an Iron Man armor or a BGC Hardsuit) and Vehicle for anything larger (like a Landmate or Motoslave or Mobile Infantry Armored Suit)

Re: Powered Armor & Mecha

Originally posted by Cecil Starlin

Has anyone seen a write-up for Powered Armor and/or Mecha for Hero5? I'm new to the game as well as this board. If so could you point me in the direction? I know the book gives a brief example of Powered Armor, but it's just way to simple for what I'm looking for.

If no one can reference me, does anyone have some advice? I looked at the Vehicle Construction and I'm thinking of using a slight varient of that. Basically figuring out the abilities individually and then having characters buy their PA's stat by stat. I'm kinda looking for a Bubble GUm Crisis (Fusion) type Powered Armor System.

Any help or suggestions will be useful

Thanks in Advance,

Cecil Starlin

Here's a thread on the old boards...

http://www.cybergames.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000033.html

In the 20+ years I have been running Hero games, I have found the vehicle rules to be a problem when applied to powered armor suits. Mecha are not powered armor suits, they are giant walking robots with a driver instead of a brain and they definitely fit better as vehicles.

In case it makes a difference, it will be for a Star Hero game. Probably about 2400 A.D. basis. The Mecha write-up from the other boards was a very nice example. At first glance it looks pretty much like what I'm looking for. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any other internet references that might have either on them?

P.S. ~ Thanks for the posts guys :D