Blend of Beast and Forge

Half Baked

I have a player who wants their character to be a blend of Beast and Forge when it comes to intellectual pursuits and technical expertise, particularly electronics and computers. He asked about the applicable KS, SS, and/or PS?

I don't really know much about either of them. Can anyone help him out?

Re: Blend of Beast and Forge

Electronics, Systems Operation, Security Systems, KS: Electrical Devices, KS: Computer Operating Systems... is there a Computer Use skill or something, or am I confusing that with Star Wars? I'm drawing a blank right now.

I'm not sure how much is necessary in the way of PS, though. PS: Computer Programmer means he knows how to go out and get a job as a computer programmer, and so on, but it wouldn't necessarily grant him any actual skill when it comes to computers.

Computer Programming is the generic "I'm just that good with 'puters" skill.

Beast is very much a scientist, and would have many of the biological sciences as skills (biology, chemistry, genetics (very high), and so on). Complimentary skills could be Electronics, Inventory, Deduction. He's also a good pilot and a good mechanic.

Forge is a creator, both by profession and by mutant ability. Electronics, Mechanics and Inventor would be very high. Security Systems, Systems Operations, Weaponsmith (just about everything). Sciences could be physics, quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, particle physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer design, and the like.

Both should have a healthy dose of KS skills to compliment their science skills. In fact, both would probably have a bunch of PS skills, too.

Others might offer more specific direction but I think this is a good start.

I have a player who wants their character to be a blend of Beast and Forge when it comes to intellectual pursuits and technical expertise, particularly electronics and computers. He asked about the applicable KS, SS, and/or PS?

I don't really know much about either of them. Can anyone help him out?

Beast is an expert in genetics, biotechnology, and psionics (read the Dark Phoenix Saga). Forge can build just about any gadget. Frankly, this character needs to have the "core sciences" and have them up at a pretty high level to combine the scientific/technological expertise of these two characters. Biology, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, Inventor, and Weaponsmith at the very least and the rolls need to be 15 or 16 or less. Beast and Forge are reeeal smart.

Beast is an expert in genetics' date=' biotechnology, and psionics (read the Dark Phoenix Saga). Forge can build just about any gadget. Frankly, this character needs to have the "core sciences" and have them up at a pretty high level to combine the scientific/technological expertise of these two characters. Biology, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, Inventor, and Weaponsmith at the very least and the rolls need to be 15 or 16 or less. Beast and Forge are reeeal smart.[/quote']

IIRC, my namesake has the equlivent of six PhD degrees, is an MD, and won the Nobel Prize in medicine for his work in mutagenica and antimutagenics (the work that lead to him geting furry). So to Agent X's list I would add Paramedic, Medicine, and Pharmacology. I also believe that one of his degrees is ancient languages; he speaks Latin, Greek (ancient & modern), French, German & Russian, he reads Chaucer in the original (middle English), and is fluent in several alien languages as well. Don't recall if he's ever been shown speaking Japanese. He also has been shown to fly starships with very little training.

For Forge, I would add a high Occult Knowledge, he does magic as well as science.

Beast is an expert in genetics' date=' biotechnology, and psionics (read the Dark Phoenix Saga). Forge can build just about any gadget. Frankly, this character needs to have the "core sciences" and have them up at a pretty high level to combine the scientific/technological expertise of these two characters. Biology, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, Inventor, and Weaponsmith at the very least and the rolls need to be 15 or 16 or less. Beast and Forge are reeeal smart.[/quote']

IIRC, my namesake has the equlivent of six PhD degrees, is an MD, and won the Nobel Prize in medicine for his work in mutagenica and antimutagenics (the work that lead to him geting furry). So to Agent X's list I would add Paramedic, Medicine, and Pharmacology. I also believe that one of his degrees is ancient languages; he speaks Latin, Greek (ancient & modern), French, German & Russian, he reads Chaucer in the original (middle English), and is fluent in several alien languages as well. Don't recall if he's ever been shown speaking Japanese. He also has been shown to fly starships with very little training.

For Forge, I would add a high Occult Knowledge, he does magic as well as science.

Forge also was a mystic. At the time, Marvel's mutant characters were pushing their ways into other genres. Wolverine became a ninja, Storm became unpowered , then a storm-god, Cable and Bishop were mysterious gun-toting mutant cyborgs from the future, etc.

Forge also was a mystic. At the time' date=' Marvel's mutant characters were pushing their ways into other genres. Wolverine became a ninja, Storm became unpowered , then a storm-god, Cable and Bishop were mysterious gun-toting mutant cyborgs from the future, etc.[/quote']

More of a shaman, wasn't he? I only vaguely remember that bit about him, but I thought he more-or-less got in touch with his Native American heritage.

More of a shaman' date=' wasn't he? I only vaguely remember that bit about him, but I thought he more-or-less got in touch with his Native American heritage.[/quote']

To be honest, I'd more or less stopped reading X-Men by that point, but I do remember a few panels of him doing magic-stuff and I also remember Marvel playing him up as a Tony Stark/Doctor Strange/Prof. X hybrid.

To be honest' date=' I'd more or less stopped reading X-Men by that point, but I do remember a few panels of him doing magic-stuff and I also remember Marvel playing him up as a Tony Stark/Doctor Strange/Prof. X hybrid.[/quote']

I found a short bio on him (cuz I was curious), and it listed "Cheyenne mystical abilities" as part of his power set. Another simply said "Forge also possesses various mystical abilities, including spell casting, which have yet to be revealed. For the most part he has not used these abilities in years, and hence is out of practice in wielding them."

I found a short bio on him (cuz I was curious)' date=' and it listed "Cheyenne mystical abilities" as part of his power set. Another simply said "Forge also possesses various mystical abilities, including spell casting, which have yet to be revealed. For the most part he has not used these abilities in years, and hence is out of practice in wielding them."[/quote']

I'm guessing that the writers decided that Forge was a little too all-over-the-place and focussed him in the high-tech/mutant direction.