The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

any direct relation to the meaning of life?

I do not now and hopefully I never have made a claim to have any special insight to the meaning of life. My opinions on that are worth all the hot air they're written on. When you mention light, though, I made my first career out of study and analysis of light in a very literal sense. Draw your own conclusions there.

well back in the day, Dick Tracy fought "the bad guys", Tracy being a cop. Nowadays, that same archetypical story is being told as "24" with Jack Bauer, with the "bad guys" being labeled terrorists not "gangsters".

Another example: Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, Librarian trilogy to me are all "modern pulp" the earlier to being on the Sci-Fi channel.

X-Files to has pulp elements -- mainly that two gov't agents explore the supernatual/unexplained. Can see a Lovecraftian vibe to it (minus the Lovecraft 'monsters').

Then you've got sword 'n' sorcery of Conan which is pulp as well. Star Wars to me is mainly sword'n'sorcery in a space setting, the sword'n'sorcery elements are all there.

The Golden Age of Superhero comics is very pulpish in its tones and vibes. Lex Luther originally being a "mad scientist".

Torchwood, Carnivale, Jerico, The 4400, Firefly all have a pulpish vibe to me. I'd dare say that the tv show Supernatural could have been appeared in a pulp magazine (not that I've watched it at all).

to me it is more about the genres that appeared in the pulp magazines and seeing echoes of those genres and stories in today's media. Dick Tracy / Jack Bauer I reckon being a good example.

I guess I agree with you, though you seem to be commenting about TV/movies rather than pure-text novels etc. It's very rare for any sort of broadcast-medium story to escape "pulp", unless it's soap operas, which are just pulp of a different odor. The audiovisual formula that is used by the producers these days leaves very little room for anything more than melodrama.

I guess I agree with you' date=' though you seem to be commenting about TV/movies rather than pure-text novels etc. It's very rare for any sort of broadcast-medium story to escape "pulp", unless it's soap operas, which are just pulp of a different odor. The audiovisual formula that is used by the producers these days leaves very little room for anything more than melodrama.[/quote']

I'd add that it really has to dominate pop culture, and permeate cultural consciousness. I'd say 24 like 24 has, ditto Buffy THe Vampire Slayer (maybe pulp). THis excludes those shows which hasn't permeated cultural consciousness (ie gone mainstream) of course.