Need help with a Gadget...

SuperBlue

One of my players is playing a Gadgeteer-esque character.. and one of our collababerated ideas was a Rebounding Battle Disk Launcher.

Basically the power is an Energy Blast (Physical Damage) and he can rebound the attack off of any solid surface (except thing like people, or Glass).

I thought about building it with ID +1/2... but what kind of limitation would be "Indirect Requires Bounce" be worth? Once I figure that out I can calculate the Real Cost by placing the limitation on the Points added for ID.

Rebounding Disk Launcher

EB 8d6

Indirect +1/2

ID Requires Rebound -?

OAF -1

Charges x16 -0

Real Weapon -1/4

2 Handed Weapon -1/2

AP 60

RC: ?

Re: Need help with a Gadget...

There's nothing wrong with buying the levels and using them for bounce, of course.

Otherwise, I would tend to buy it as originally listed, applying a Limitation only on the cost of the Indirect Advantage. The cost of said limitation depends on a couple of factors, and calls for both a judgment call and agreement between the player and GM.

Factors to consider:

1) Reality vs. comic reality. Which is more important to the campaign? In reality, bounces would have to take into account angles and such that comics often ignore - Captain America's shield and Daredevil's billy clubs are great examples. So, if the campaign is supposed to mimic comics, that isn't a factor.

2) Frequency of bouncable surfaces. This depends some on special effect. Glass is a bouncable surface for some things - relatively light adn soft projectiles, and particularly those which strike at an angle. Metal works well. Brick walls do too. Grass/dirt work less well, people poorly - though Daredevil, Batman, Nomad and Nightwing all frequently bounce projectiles off one person to hit a second (more an AoE or Autofire, in Champions terms - in fact, you might want to make the iteam as a Multipower to to reflect this, with a slot AoE Selective Target - but I digress). Is the campaign mostly urban? If so, I'd say this is a -1/2 Limitation. If a significant part of the campaign will be taking place in wilder areas with lots of brush, open space, sand dunes and such, it might be as big as a -1 Limitation.

Re: Need help with a Gadget...

Superblue, if you have "The Ultimate Brick" I would look at the Brick Tricks offensive power titled "Crack the Whip". It has the Indirect limitation bought as:

• Indirect (originates from character, but can strike foe from one of several directions; +1/2)".

Bouncing an attack sound very similar to me.