Build This Power

Argus

I’m going to post a description of a power. I would like to see how many different ways of building it people come up with.

Simple rules.

Keep the power under 100 point’s base.

Unless stated in the description – No Focuses, No OIHI and No Charges.

Multi powers and Elemental Controls are fine.

A.

Re: Build This Power

First Power.

I’ve built this power over and over again in the 20 years I’ve been playing Champions.

Energy Attack.

The Hero can use this instantly at full power but if he wants to use them at a lower power setting he has to take his time and concentrate. Sometimes the power can accidentally go off. The power can be used at range against 1 person or on everyone within 20 feet of the Hero.

A.

Energy Blast

Cost Power END
44 Energy Blast: Multipower, 88-point reserve, (88 Active Points); all slots Side Effects (Power may go off accidently; -1)
3u 1) Full Power!: EB 12d6 (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Power may go off accidently; -1), Beam (-1/4) 6
2u 2) Fiddly lower power: EB 12d6 (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Power may go off accidently; -1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) 6
4u 3) Full Power Area Effect!: EB 6d6+1, Area Of Effect (12" Radius; +1 1/2), Selective (+1/4) (88 Active Points); Side Effects (Power may go off accidently; -1), Beam (-1/4) 9
3u 4) Fiddly lower power Area Effect!: EB 7d6, Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1 1/4), Selective (+1/4) (87 Active Points); Side Effects (Power may go off accidently; -1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) 9
Powers Cost: 56

Well, Maelstorm's build did exactly what you asked for, so I built it a little differently.

The character can blast away in huge swaths easily, but focusing his blast on anything takes some effort - but lord help whatever he focuses on. He can't reduce the intensity of his blasts, merely channel the shape of it.

Cost Power

86 Energy Attack: Energy Blast 10d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Variable Advantage (+1 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages; Area of Effect: Line, Cone, Radius, Explosion (-1 DC/3"), or Double Armor Piercing; +1 3/4); Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; Extra Time (Delayed Phase) and Concentraion (1/2 DCV) OR No Range; ; -1/4), Must take Area of Effect AND No Range OR Double AP AND Concentrate/Extra Time (-1/4), Full Power Only (-1/4)

As for the occasionally going off, I built it as a power with No Conscious Control, and then just turned it into a disad - since occasionally blowing up seems more like a hindrance than a power.

Pts. Disadvantage

25 Physical Limitation: Occasionaly Explodes (GM's Discretion) [Notes: Energy Blast 10d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2); No Conscious Control (-2), No Range (-1/2)]

I have a player who wants to be able to bring a more powerful version of them from the future to fight battles with Super Villains in the present. The player will also sometimes get pulled from the present to fight villains in the past.

I’ve built it using Duplication. Is there any other way you would build it?

A.

i tried to coem up witha couple of disads tor epresent being dragged to the future/past but it didn't seem quiet right.

20 Physical Limitation: returned from the future/past exausted or injured (Frequently, Fully Impairing)

15 Susceptibility: when taken to the future, 2d6 damage Instant (Common)

• 6 years later...

I have a player that wants to be able to create devices with whatever he can find in his surroundings. Very Macgyverish. It would take time to collect resource and also construct a useful device. Plus whatever it ends up being may not be fantastically useful, since it is built from random parts.

Currently we have it built as

Impromptu Engineering: Cosmetic Transform 7d6+1 (surrounding environment into useful devices), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (33 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), 4 Charges (-1), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Requires A Roll (SS roll; -1/4), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Must have stuff to work with; -1/4), Perceivable (-1/4)

I think that's more than a Cosmetic Transform. Actually, it may not be a transform at all - I'd base it on the campaign:

* Gear is bought with money - Major Transform.

* Gear is bought with points - A small VPP.

Now by a strict reading, it would always be the VPP. IMO however, if 5 points in Wealthy can give you all the basic equipment you want, then Transform should have that capability as well.