Blocking

Kzinbane

As I read the rules about blocking in 5th it occurs to me that something seems very wrong. Unless I am missing something, using the blocking rules, Aunt May could block a haymaker from the Hulk IF she rolled right.

Shouldn't there be some sort of strength roll involved or perhaps a comparison of total damage from the potential Hand to hand hit and the strength or capabilities of the person blocking?

What about blocking a martial strike? Normal block? Aunt may again (this is not her day) blocks Iron fist? Granted he's not hitting as hard as Hulk, but still.

I realize that a block isn't (usually) actually putting your hand out and catching the attackers fist. Neither is it actually blocking as such as you would with a shield. It's more along the lines of a sweep where you use lateral force to re-direct the opponents strike so it now misses, and you are now set up for a counter punch. Still there should be some strength contest inolved.

Re: Blocking

A block covers a great many special effects. It is not just hitting your arm against theirs. It can also be side-stepping or putting something between you and the blow. That is why no strength-versus-strength check is required.

And Aunt May with her 2 cv and 0 leves probably would never roll the 3 to be able to avoid the Hulk's blow. :)