Preprogrammed Duties - The Manchurian Star Hero

ParitySoul

Not exactly mind control, I was thinking about PC's that have a preprogramed series of Psyc Limbs that force them into courses of action under certine conditions. My issue is I want a logical use of Power/Skill to represent a mental implant that can be removed that causes this effect.

It's temp for only the story and the PC's still have the majority of their self will, but 'something' pushes them towards a alien homeworld, a blackhole, a abandoned spacestation...until they find the device in their head and have it removed. (Not 'that' hard.)

A VPP Disad?

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Preprogrammed Duties - The Manchurian Star Hero

Not exactly mind control, I was thinking about PC's that have a preprogramed series of Psyc Limbs that force them into courses of action under certine conditions. My issue is I want a logical use of Power/Skill to represent a mental implant that can be removed that causes this effect.

From the Master List of Limitations:

Manchurian Candidate

Infrequently, Slightly: 5 Points | Infrequently, Greatly: 10 Points | Infrequently, Fully: 15 Points

Type: Physical

Description: A character with this Limitation has been programmed or brainwashed to perform a certain task. Unaware that he has been programmed or to what purpose, he goes about his day-to-day life until some predetermined event triggers his programming. The programmed task can be almost anything, but will always be something detrimental to the character. Some example tasks include assassination, bugging a room with surveillance equipment, destroying a piece of equipment, or perhaps reporting the day’s activity to an enemy.

Depending on the task the character may or may not remember doing it and will almost never remember why. The trigger can be almost anything. Some examples are key phases (in any language), a time of day, a particular date, or being alone with someone. The trigger does not affect the cost of the disadvantage. How often the character is called on to perform the task does affect the cost. A character taking this Limitation needs to get permission from their GM, who may want to decide the details and not tell the player until the disadvantage is triggered.

The point cost depends on just how potentially damaging to the character are the consequences of his programmed action. Passing information or planting a bug are both actions that may or may not ever be discovered, and thus the consequences are not that great. Sabotage carries a greater risk of discovery, while assassination carries the greatest risk of all and thus would be worth maximum points.

Re: Preprogrammed Duties - The Manchurian Star Hero

I am sort of unsure why exactly this has to be done "by the rules". It sounds to me like something that has to happen in your scenario, and going strictly by the special effects of the Manchurian Candidate stuff the players wouldn't even remember the actions.

If I was running the scenario I would just do whatever I had to do.

Now, the advantage listed below makes a great "mystery disadvantage" to give a player who wants to have a mystery disadvantage.