Regular and Martial Maneuver Bonus?

PhilFleischmann

This is for my fantasy campaign, but it's a general rules question, so I'm posting it here.

Far to the northwest is the island of Vithnaklia, whose odd inhabitants use strange weapons unlike those found in the areas where the PCs are from. One of those weapons looks like an ordinary sword at first glance, but on careful examination, has a blade curved in an unusual way which makes it especially effective at redirecting the momentum of an enemy's weapon into a twisting motion which may wrench the weapon out of the opponent's hand. Thus the weapon is statted more or less like an ordinary sword, but with a built-in +1 (or maybe +2) to Disarm. The question is, should this bonus apply also to Martial Disarm? After all, someone who can do a Martial Disarm, is unlikely to ever do a regular Disarm. Should this skill level cost more because it applies to both of these two "different" maneauvers?

The Vithnaklians have their own martial art form involving this weapon that includes a Martial Disarm. I want both the MA-trained Vithnaklians and the non-MA-trained-but-WF Vithnaklians to both benefit from this weapon's design. The former get the weapon's bonus with Martial Disarm, and the latter get the weapon's bonus with regular disarm.

The same principle could apply to many other maneuvers that have both a regular and martial version, such as grab. Someone with WF: Two-handed Grabulator can use the weapon to grab. While someone with Martial Grab, with the Two-handed Grabulator as a weapon element for his MA could also use the weapon to Martial Grab. How much should any bonus to grab inherent to the weapon cost, if it applies to both normal and martial grabs?

Re: Regular and Martial Maneuver Bonus?

Yes it would indeed add to both the standard Disarm and the martial version as well.

I would suggest a +2 Disarm bonus for this weapon. Why? Because the standard Disarm maneuver has a -2 OCV penalty. The weapon would bring it to +/-0. Martial Disarm is only slightly better (-1OCV) so bringing the martial Disarm to a +1 when using the weapon. This is far from unbalanced...

Re: Regular and Martial Maneuver Bonus?

My rule o' thumb is that manuever-based skill levels work by "basis", not the specific manuever. Both Disarm and Martial Disarm have "Disarm" as their basis so both would benefit from the skill level.

Another example (that's not very good for weapons, I'll admit) would be that Dodge, Martial Dodge, and Flying Dodge are all based on the same basis (Dodge) and therefore a skill level with Dodge would affect all three.