Multipower/Combat Rules Clarification

bryanb

Hi Everyone,

A character will be using the Questionite SHield MP from G&G and I have a question or two about it:

1. Why is there both FW and Armour (UBO - Simultaneous) included as powers? What's the difference?

2. With the armour slot does the PC have to specify that in his phase this is what he/she is using? Can he/she attack with the shield and then abort to the armour power? Does that abort cost he/she the next phase action?

I suppose what I am not clear on is whether using a 0 phase action after one MP is used can another 0 phase action be used to switch to a defensive power?

Any suggestions? (let me know if I need to make this clearer - it's late)

Daz

Re: Multipower/Combat Rules Clarification

1. There are several mechanical differences between force wall and armor. I can think of some scenarios where one might be more advantageous than the other.

2. Ok, I would suggest reading back over the rules for an Attack Action. An Attack Action ends your phase, and you may not take more Actions after it in that same Segment, not even 0 Phase Action (a GM may allow you to make an Action that Requires No Time, but I don't find the rules clear on that). You may not Abort after an Attack Action until the start of the next Segment.

Hi Everyone,

2. With the armour slot does the PC have to specify that in his phase this is what he/she is using? Can he/she attack with the shield and then abort to the armour power? Does that abort cost he/she the next phase action?

I suppose what I am not clear on is whether using a 0 phase action after one MP is used can another 0 phase action be used to switch to a defensive power?

You can't reallocate a Multipower (or VPP, for that matter) more than once in a Phase, you can't allocate allocate it (or do many other things, for that matter) in a phase after you've attacked, and you can't do an Abort action at all if you've already acted in a given phase. If you had the MP set for one thing in a phase in which you acted, you could switch slots in a subsequent phase (in response to someone else's actions, for example) at the cost of aborting your next phase.

1. There are several mechanical differences between force wall and armor. I can think of some scenarios where one might be more advantageous than the other.

Would you be able to supply some examples? The book gives reasons why FW is restrictive but I can't see any disads to using the armour version.

Thanks for the clarification of point 2 - I will check the rulebook again.

Daz

Would you be able to supply some examples? The book gives reasons why FW is restrictive but I can't see any disads to using the armour version.

Thanks for the clarification of point 2 - I will check the rulebook again.

Daz

An attack that does not do enough Body to penetrate the Force Wall has no other impact on the character. For example an EB with Double Knockback could still send the Armor version flying, while the Force Wall would protect the target. A low dice KA with a high Stun Multiplier is another such situation.

The biggest difference is that STUN doesn't get through FW if the BODY doesn't -- but FW doesn't follow the target around without appropriate advantages. The *second* biggest is that you can attack through Armor but not FW -- without the appropriate advantages (Transparent is quite common for FW for this very reason).