Requesting help in finding source material

Susano

Re: Requesting help in finding source material

Well, I haven't forgotten about this. I really wish I had more time to work on it, since I'm finding it quite interesting. Supposedly, I'm getting four days off this weekend, since I had to work two days of my Veteran's Day weekend.

Anyway, just to start out, I've found at least two wugong jing legends. I'm still translating the second, but here's a summary of the first, with all information pertinent to the monster.

The boats of a fishing village have to pass through a strait to reach the open sea. A wugong jing lairs in the strait, however, and demands the sacrifice of a small child each time the boats head for the sea. The village never prospers due to this, but one day a wandering Daoist beggar hears their story, and has an idea to end the problem. The next time the boats head out, he goes along, and boils water in a cauldron on the bow of one of the boats. When the wugong jing doesn't get its sacrifice, it creates gale-force winds, and calls down thunder and lightning. It then latches onto one of the boats with its "xuepen dakou" (huge mouth like a bloody basin...I liked that image) and begins to capsize it. The beggar dumps boiling water down its gullet, and the beast lets go, dives to the bottom of the ocean, and thrashes around, creating huge turbid waves that threaten to swamp the fleet for a day and a night. When the trashing ceases, the fishermen see that the wugong jing has broken into three pieces, which float to the surface and become islands. The beggar has disappeared like a cloud in the wind, but the villagers build a temple to commemorate his deed. The end.

The next story seems to take place in the mountains, from what I've looked at so far. I'll post it soon.

The Wu Kung Ching material I finally found describes it has a human who became a huge black centipede capable of produce black smoke and powerful winds. Or, the centipede took human form, becoming a black-bearded man in armor with two swords.

Sounds kinda like the second story here.

In this one, the wugong jing is about 6 or 7 meters long and produces clouds of poisonous gas which block out the sun. It's beaten by a demigod's incantations, and when it flees to its lair, the demigod creates a pagoda over its hole, which crushes it.

I'll poke around some more. No reason there couldn't be two or more types of wugong jing. Unless you don't want to do the writeups, or Steve says you have to cut material from the book. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've found all kinds of websites about various types of Koudai Yaoguai*, and while there's a lot of material, I'm not sure you want to include them in the Asian Bestiary. Apparently the most popular sort is called Pikaqiu, and looks like an electric weasel....

Still poking around when I can. Sorry I can't be of more help.

*Pocket Goblin

I've found all kinds of websites about various types of Koudai Yaoguai*, and while there's a lot of material, I'm not sure you want to include them in the Asian Bestiary. Apparently the most popular sort is called Pikaqiu, and looks like an electric weasel....

Still poking around when I can. Sorry I can't be of more help.

*Pocket Goblin

*Mikes pulls the lever that releases the 16 ton weight.*

"I'm sorry, but that was just too silly."