Staff of Power [d20]

Legendsmiths

A player in my group just acquired this item in a converted adventure so I needed to build it. There are some house rules in there, so be wary. However, I think it might save some other people some time. Enjoy.

Cost Power END
Staff of Power (Base Enchantments), all slots OAF (Staff; -1)
10 1) Arcane Energy Pool: END Reserve (300 END, 0 REC) Reserve: Only Recharged Through Complex & Costly Ritual (-1), OAF (Staff; -1); REC: OAF (Staff; -1) [Notes: Pool Currently 270] 0
2 2) Arcane Deflection: +1 with DCV; OAF (Staff; -1)
4 3) Arcane Resistance: +1 Overall; OAF (Staff; -1), Resistance rolls, dive for cover, or block associated with magic, poison, disease, or mental control (-1/2)
17 4) Staff of Power (as Quarterstaff): HA +6d6; OAF (Staff; -1), HA (-1/2), STR Minimum 6-14 (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2) (uses Personal END) plus +2 w/ Staff; OCV Only (-1), OAF (Staff; -1) plus Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); OAF (Staff; -1), Only To Cause Damage w/ Staff (-1/2), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), Always Direct (-1/4) plus +1 with DCV; OAF (Staff; -1), HtH Attacks Only (-1/2) plus Staff Maneuver; OAF (Staff; -1) 3
50 5) Retributive Strike: Arcane EB 60d6 (standard effect: 180 STUN, 60 BODY) (vs. ED), Concentrated Explosion (-DC/3 per 2" from Center; +1/2); 1 Charge which Never Recovers (-4), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1), OAF (Staff; -1) [1 nr]
75 Multipower, 150-point reserve, all slots OAF (Staff; -1)
1u 1) Light: Sight Group Images 1" radius, +/-4 to PER Rolls, Duration: Until Disabled (+1/2); Only To Create Light (-1), OAF (Staff; -1), No Range (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 3
1u 2) Levitate: Flight 3", Position Shift, Duration: 1 Minute (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1); OAF (Staff; -1), Levitation (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: Caster must touch each recipient of the spell.] 3
1u 3) Power Blow: Succor (4d6N) to Staff Damage 6d6; OAF (Staff; -1), Self Only (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 3
2u 4) Mystic Bolts: Arcane EB 4d6 (vs. ED), Transdimensional (Ethereal Plane; +1/2), Any 5 Targets in LOS up to 30" away (+1 1/4); OAF (Staff; -1), Must have spirit (-1/2), No Range (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 5
3u 5) Ray of Enfeeblement: Drain STR 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), AOE Accurate (One Hex; +1/2); OAF (Staff; -1) (uses END Reserve) 7
2u 6) Force Dome: Summon 207-point Force Dome (2" Radius Dome Centered on Wielder), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Slavishly Devoted (+1); Duration: 1 Minute (-1 1/2), OAF (Staff; -1), Cannot form if hemisphere is broken by object or creature (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: 20 DEF, 5 BODY, 2" radius -- Defense Affects Desol Any form of Desolidification, Hardened (x2); Limited Coverage 180 Degree Sphere (Does Not Cover Ground), Does not Apply to Disintigration (Arcane) or Annihilation (Chaos); Walls of Force: LoW (-10) for Resistant Defenses; Immunity to Arcane and Divine Power; Does not Apply to Disintigration (Arcane) or Annihilation (Chaos); ] 8
4u 7) Cone of Cold: EB 5d6 (vs. ED), AOE (16" Cone; +1), NND (Safe Environment: Cold, Englobing Force Field, Heat Based Defenses; +1), Does BODY (+1); OAF (Staff; -1), No Range (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 10
5u 8) Fireball: Fire EB 8d6 (vs. ED), AOE (4" Radius; +1), Conforming (+1/2); OAF (Staff; -1) (uses END Reserve) 10
4u 9) Lightning Bolt: Electricity EB 9d6 (vs. ED), Killing vs. Grounded Targets, Normal vs. Standard Targets, STUN Only vs. Insulated Targets (+0), AP (if CON Roll Failed; +1/4), AOE (44" Line; +1 1/4); OAF (Staff; -1), No Range (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 11
3u 10) Hold Monster: Mind Control 20d6 (Human, Alien and Animal classes of minds); Based on CON (Defense: ED; -1), Mandatory Effect EGO +30 or Greater (Must Always Achieve [Particular Effect]; Total Paralysis; -1), OAF (Staff; -1), Set Effect (Paralyzed; -1/2) (uses END Reserve) 12
7u 11) Invulnerability to Spells: Immunity to Arcane Magic 40 Active Points or Less, Duration: 1 minute (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; All Adjacent; +1); OAF (Staff; -1) (uses Personal END) 15
Powers Cost: 191

Re: Staff of Power [d20]

Neato!

Staff of Power as Quarterstaff: Perhaps you should add the Always Direct Limitation to the Stretching component. Also, this Compound Power should be small enough to fit into the Multipower if you want to get the total cost of the staff down a little bit.

Levitate: Probably should either include the note about all recipients of the power needing to be adjacent (as you do for Globe of Invulnerability) or you should add the Ranged Advantage.

Power Blow: Why do this as a Succor instead of just a few extra dice of Hand Attack? If it's an issue of adhering strictly to the "Powers in a framework can't add to powers outside a framework" rule, then add the extra dice of damage to the Staff of Power as Quarterstaff Compound Power and have the last batch of dice cost END from the Endurance Pool. I'd just add extra dice of Hand Attack to represent this regardless of the strict reading of the rules becauses, as Mr. Spock says, "A difference that makes no difference is no difference," and Hand Attack is an easier and more intuitive construct.

Fireball: To work as an old-style AD&D Fireball, I think this needs the Conforming Advantage.

Lightning Bolt: I assume that the 9d6 EB (9 Damage Classes) converts to a 3d6 Killing Attack (9 Damage Classes) vs Grounded Targets, not a 9d6 Killing Attack (27 Damage Classes).

Nice work,

John H

Just out of curiousity I am wondering if the 12 defense is high enough to evoke the D&D equivalent of Wall of Force since it is still possible for someone with as little as a 2d6+1 HKA to bring this down?

A STR 25 character with a bastard sword is already at that level of attack before adding any possible skill levels or martial arts to the attack.

I don't have any D&D books handy as a reference but I thought Wall of Force was like the Magic user spell Resiliant Sphere?

anyway, I'm not trying to detract from the bang up job you did. just thinking out loud.

The d20 SRD had said that it was the Wall of Force (which is impervious with exceptions) in a hemisphere around the caster. I mulled that one over for a while. I agree that it isn't nearly as impervious as the d20 stuff, but my goal was an impression and NOT a perfect conversion. Basically, I ran out of active points in the multipower to support it. Desolid might be a better way to do it, but I still think it has value.

Someone with a 2d6+1 HKA can bring it down 3% of the time. I was thinking of STR 40 monsters doing a haymaker on average wouldn't. In the campaign where this item resides such a creature is horrific and I thought an adequate benchmark. If you were using this in a higher point game you might want to bump everything up a notch.

I updated the stats based on some suggestions, cleaned up the hdc file, and posted it.

One change that hit me was that the force dome really needed to be a base, so now it is. This makes it the nigh-impervious dome it should be, although it doesn't cover the floor (deliberately) :shock:

The defenses are hardened, and do stop desolid, but should not prevent teleportation (which is a dark power in my campaign so not much of an issue for players). I think Hardened actually stops this, so should probably have a -1/4 limitation "Does not affect teleportation".

Power Blow: Why do this as a Succor instead of just a few extra dice of Hand Attack? If it's an issue of adhering strictly to the "Powers in a framework can't add to powers outside a framework" rule, then add the extra dice of damage to the Staff of Power as Quarterstaff Compound Power and have the last batch of dice cost END from the Endurance Pool. I'd just add extra dice of Hand Attack to represent this regardless of the strict reading of the rules becauses, as Mr. Spock says, "A difference that makes no difference is no difference," and Hand Attack is an easier and more intuitive construct.

For a couple of reasons. First, this is the same construct I use for Deadly Blow and for any spell that imparts a 1 time boost to damage (longer boosts are with Aid of course). Second, the staff is wieldable as a weapon without consuming any of the staff's power. The Power Blow specifically draws energy from the pool and charges the staff with more energy for a single blow only.

Lightning Bolt: I assume that the 9d6 EB (9 Damage Classes) converts to a 3d6 Killing Attack (9 Damage Classes) vs Grounded Targets, not a 9d6 Killing Attack (27 Damage Classes).

That is correct. Grounded = 3d6K, Average = 9d6N, Insulated (flying, rubber suit) = 9d6N STUN Only

Thanks. I'm concerned what will happen now that the character has this item but it will be interesting if nothing else.

There is a catch with this item in my campaign, which is why I am allowing it. It is a powerful item to be sure.