Tricky Power Design

Super Squirrel

Re: Tricky Power Design

A couple of things here. First, I don't see why I should have any points in STR if the sword does not have the ability to move. STR affects how much force you can exert. That includes lifting, pushing, throwing etc. The other function of STR is to calculate your PD.

The only reason I kept my DEX is because eventually the sword will purchase a OCV based attack power it can use independently and also so that the sword has a DCV for when something decided to attack it.

Actually' date=' pg. 22 of FREd says "Characters with a DEX of -30 or less can take no physical actions." Should I take the character down to -30 DEX and use the points to buy straight SPD and DCV and just leave OCV at 0?[/quote']

As GM I would remove the characteristics from your character sheet - just like INT and EGO for automatons. I wouldn't allow you to buy back the characteristics and get points from it.

My reasoning was that the character would control the victim and exert STR through that. In my (thoroughly sketchy) write up I gave the character 30 STR and assumed that all my wielders would have 30 STR (normals bolstered by the sword or those with greater STR hindered in its use by the mind control).

However, if your GM is happy with you selling back the STR then I think he should allow the (far more lucrative) selling back of DEX.

Doc

As GM I would remove the characteristics from your character sheet - just like INT and EGO for automatons. I wouldn't allow you to buy back the characteristics and get points from it.

My reasoning was that the character would control the victim and exert STR through that. In my (thoroughly sketchy) write up I gave the character 30 STR and assumed that all my wielders would have 30 STR (normals bolstered by the sword or those with greater STR hindered in its use by the mind control).

However, if your GM is happy with you selling back the STR then I think he should allow the (far more lucrative) selling back of DEX.

Doc

I'd go with Doc's suggestion. They are attributes you just don't have. However, I'd give some bonus points given the limitations of the character, probably not just through disads, either, but probably some blanket # of points. Depending a bit on how readily and how ready-made sword wielders are.

I'd go with Doc's suggestion. They are attributes you just don't have. However' date=' I'd give some bonus points given the limitations of the character, probably not just through disads, either, but probably some blanket # of points. Depending a bit on how readily and how ready-made sword wielders are.[/quote']

Perhaps the powers you use to find new wielders could be free? :)

I disagree with you here. I'll explain with an example.

Joe Mentalist tells a brick through a Mind Control to go smash down a wall. Joe Mentalist is now free to do other actions.

Shardik tells a wielder to swing the sword at XXX with a Mind Control. Shardik is now free to do other actions.

Why does Joe get to keep STR when Shardik has to remove it from the sheet? Shardik is paying for the RKA as UBO. Shardik also is paying for the PD to make up for the selling off of STR.

Steve Long has indicated that it is valid to sell back Everyman skills you do not have for a point a piece, so I can't see why if your building a character like this, you can't sell back the characteristics.

Assume for the moment that down the road I decide the sword is powerful that it can use Gliding. It should have STR on the sheet to help indicate how much weight it can lift.

Oh, Doc Democracy, the idea for "not matching X in BODY" will come up in another possessing weapon I'm building but not Shardik.

I disagree with you here. I'll explain with an example.

Joe Mentalist tells a brick through a Mind Control to go smash down a wall. Joe Mentalist is now free to do other actions.

Shardik tells a wielder to swing the sword at XXX with a Mind Control. Shardik is now free to do other actions.

Why does Joe get to keep STR when Shardik has to remove it from the sheet? Shardik is paying for the RKA as UBO. Shardik also is paying for the PD to make up for the selling off of STR.

I'd say that Joe gets to keep the STR because it is part of him. He is a person who has STR. Shardik is a sword, that does not have STR - not a miniscule amount such as -35 but none at all.

Characteristics are a special case - not like skills. As I said, automatons don't sell back their STUN - it just doesn't exist.

Neither is Shardik paying PD for having -25 STR just for having 0 STR.

But, it is a GM's call. In my game I wouldn't give you points for selling it off. If your GM does the that's cool.

Assume for the moment that down the road I decide the sword is powerful that it can use Gliding. It should have STR on the sheet to help indicate how much weight it can lift.

How does the sword lift anything? How does it manage it? A person uses its hands and exerts strength, how does the sword manage it?

Gliding doesn't mention STR. If the sword conferred gliding on the wielder then it would be whatever STR the wielder has. If the sword has no STR then it cannot lift anything.

Doc

Good points SS.

I do think, though, you have to figure out whether the sword has a characteristic or not. The rules for AIs do not cover selling back points for characteristics not used because they are irrelevant, whereas the example of someone selling back everyman skills is different in that it is (or should be, to get point) relevant. I'll leave it at that as I'm still not sure where you want to go with the sword's abilities to act independently. I would say to sell back mobility and such as those are real losses. But, for example, if the sword has no method of CON (meaning also a CON drain would have no effect) then I'd say the char is just non-operative, no points for or against, even though there is an effect on ED. I could see selling the ED points back.

I think on the whole it's easiest to do what I've done with similar situations - not buy the powers as UBO since the sword (presumably) can't use those powers at the same time anyway and the complexity is such it may as well be hand-waved. Any powers which the sword has which can be used aganist its will I'd do a limited Independent lim, probably -1/2 or -1/4, depending on the circumstances you perceive as likely. Powers no one else can use of course are paid for normally.