shadow character wants a body

S41NT

Hi!

There's a player in my group that wants to play a shadow. So I suggest desolidification with some limitations (its 2d!), no end cost, persistent, allways on. Because it's a shadow, I say he is invisible when in another shadow, so I think he should have that too. Something else I'm missing?

But here's the problem: the character is the shadow of a nonexistent body. But whenever necessary, the player wants the character to be able to cast this body. He would still be the shadow, but should be able to pupeteer the body in order to be capable of social interaction.

How the hell should I model this? The player thought about TK, but it's not good. He wanted to move cloths and shoes like if it were a person... There are just too many things to concentrate on... I thought about something like duplication. But I'm not sure. How would you hero experts do it?

Re: shadow character wants a body

Duplication, Summon, Shapeshift, Images, and STR with Affects Real World are all options. So is having this be the SFX of not having Desolidification on. Some things to consider:

What happens if the body is attacked?

Can the body and the shadow take seperate simultaneous actions (even if they cannot move apart)?

Can the body inflict damage?

Thanks for answering! My group wants to play tonight!

He wanted the "body" to be an empty shell that he can control. So it should not take damage (or at least the body being hit should not harm the shadow character). And he wants it just for social interaction, so it doesn't have to damage anything. So I told him to go for illusion. But he wants real cloth hanging in the air... and wants to be able to do small STR feats... pick up a glass, open a book, etc.

Your STR idea is very good, but there's a catch. The character gets a limitation because he can only move on the surface of solid objects. So his STR could only be used that way, otherwise his limitation is not really a limitation. You thing that the +2 advantage to affect the Real World would be enough to do what he wants? Or maybe he should pay for yet another advantage?

I would really consider going with a Summon for this. Various other powers, including Images, could get what you're going for, but I think summoning a body would be the way to go. Depending on how much control is required, the Summon might need to be bought with Concentration.

Benefits:

If attacked, it will disappear but can simply be recreated.

It is "real" and "solid" in all ways.

Either fudge the "no mental attacks" with a boatload of mental defense, or (what I advise) make it an automaton. It doesn't need any EGO or INT, since the shadow is controlling it completely, and the "no PRE attacks" rule can safely be fudged in this instance.

Give the body "Physical Limitation: Can't Move Away From Shadow" and you should be set.

Also, it won't be terribly expensive. The body could probably be built on around 100 points.

I like the summon idea, but the character will have to communicate his orders (do I need mind link or something like that?) and the automaton will follow (using his own skills)? Cause then it would make sense to give the automaton the same INT the character has and the same skills... Is that right? Or I'm missing something?

But here's the problem: the character is the shadow of a nonexistent body. But whenever necessary, the player wants the character to be able to cast this body. He would still be the shadow, but should be able to pupeteer the body in order to be capable of social interaction.

How the hell should I model this? The player thought about TK, but it's not good. He wanted to move cloths and shoes like if it were a person... There are just too many things to concentrate on... I thought about something like duplication. But I'm not sure. How would you hero experts do it?

Reason by effect. It sounds like the character wants to:

1. Have something that looks like a physical person.

2. Be able to communicate via that physical person.

3. Be able to move things using that physical person.

4. Not have that physical person be affected by anything else.

The simplest way, I think, is to use Images + TK, affects physical world. The images will make something that looks like a physical person, and the TK will allow him to move things. Communicating via the Image is largely a special effect.

You would probably want to add Limited Range (or No Range), maybe Invisible Power Effects. You could Link the TK to the Images for additional cost savings.

I like the summon idea' date=' but the character will have to communicate his orders (do I need mind link or something like that?) and the automaton will follow (using his own skills)? Cause then it would make sense to give the automaton the same INT the character has and the same skills... Is that right? Or I'm missing something?[/quote']

That sort of depends on how it works. If the body simply mimes the shadow (the same way a shadow normally mimes a body), then the body should take Physical Limit: Can't Do Anything But Mime the Shadow. Any skills the Shadow wants to be able to have the body do in his place, he should pay for on the body, but he doesn't need to pay for INT or mental skills since the body can't do anything on its own. For example, if he wants to be able to use the body to pick locks, he should pay for Lockpicking on it.

OTOH, if the body acts according to the shadow's will but in its own way, then it needs INT, full skills, etc.