Rules Question

JmOz

Okay, here is an interesting bit to think aboutL:

Characters get "Everyman skills" defined as things that while not everyone CAN do them, the vast majority of heroes should be able to, and a good amount of normals as well.

Vehicles now get Everyvehicle abilitiess (headlights, AC/Heater, Radio, etc...)

So now the meat of question 1, should Computers and bases be able to have Every abilities as well?

So now the meat of question 1, should Computers and bases be able to have Every abilities as well?

They do, to an extent. You don't pay points for the windows, doors, roof, floors, ordinary furnature, insulation, heat, air conditioning, bathroom fixtures, and so on for your base.

You also don't pay points for things like mundane monitors, input devices (mice, keyboards, voice recognition, etc), and such on your computers.

There's a whole lot of "free" elements assumed with computers and bases.

To some extent based and computers already have them. Your base probably has lights, sewer, and water. Those thing are not paid for with Character Points. The base also has AC/Heater and other "normal" living devices. What powers your computer? Apparently it has its own power source, once again free. Computers in most games can talk. Do they buy images to be able to do this, or it just considered an Everything Skill?

I Personally think if someone spends too much time trying to define every single aspect of something within a game they are really ruining the game. Must mundane things are just that, mundane. The only things which should be important to the game are those which directly affect the character. It's important to know what the base's defenses and weapons are. It's important to know how difficult it is to hack into a computer. It's not important to know about headlights, toilets, and how high pitched the computer's voice is, IMO.

Originally posted by Monolith

I Personally think if someone spends too much time trying to define every single aspect of something within a game they are really ruining the game. Must mundane things are just that, mundane.

That reminds me of an old discussion under the DC Heroes "Gadget" rules about building a fork. By the time the discussion was done (and everything you could do with a fork was listed and calculated) the fork cost more than Superman. :rolleyes:

Saaaayy... does anybody remember the discussion from the old boards in a similar vien, but about a cereal bowl? :D

Originally posted by Monolith

I Personally think if someone spends too much time trying to define every single aspect of something within a game they are really ruining the game. Must

Hear, hear! Very well put.

There are a lot of little things a character with certain powers can do that do not need to be defined with points. They should be subsumed under the special effects of the ability. For instance, a fire-blaster should be able to start fires - you don't need a Change Environment. I would allow a Human Torch character to light a small area with a flaming hand - I wouldn't require Images.

On a related note, I wish that 5e had replaced "Every..." Skills with Skill Defaults. That's one of the high points of GURPS (a fine system, and Hero's only real competitor, IMO). Wouldn't be hard to port over:

Default (0 points): 3 + (CHA/5)

1 point: 5 + (CHA/5)

2 points: 7 + (CHA/5)

The skills that are 2 points anyway (I can't figure out why some are like that - Survival is not that easy a skill) get the same scheme, but starting at 5 instead of 3.

For instance, a character has a DEX of 18.

Default Stealth = 7.

For 1 point: Stealth 9.

For 2 points: Stealth 11.

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

That reminds me of an old discussion under the DC Heroes "Gadget" rules about building a fork. By the time the discussion was done (and everything you could do with a fork was listed and calculated) the fork cost more than Superman. :rolleyes:

Saaaayy... does anybody remember the discussion from the old boards in a similar vien, but about a cereal bowl? :D

No no NOT the gadget fork debate!!!!!!