Limited Increased Mass

Eyendasky80

Re: Limited Increased Mass

How can I put a limitation (specifically increased END) on the increased mass adder for teleportation? In Hero Designer?

Outside of HD, just determine the limitation value on the adder itself and subtract the difference. Follow the rules for "Partially Limited Powers" on page 180 of 5th Edition.

You should get GM permission; I'm not sure but I somehow think that there might be some prohibition or "GM permission" involving Lims or Advs on only Adders, as it could be abusive, given that Adders greatly expand powers for (usually) relatively small point values and it is normal to apply a Lim or Adv to the entire power, not cherry-picking Adders.

In HD I believe you have to just create an adjustment somewhere on the sheet for the subtraction. I don't think partial limitations are directly supported in HD. You probably have to check in that forum.

What zornwil said.

One caveat: I'm pretty sure that you'll need to pay for the END (and increased END) for the extra mass even if you are not teleporting extra mass: it doesn't just kick in when you take an elephant through.

Yes, absolutely, there's even a note to this effect when I was reading through Fifth on this last night.

Not really the effect I'm looking for. So can you think of any appropriate mechanic to represent a teleporter who has to exert himself to teleport large objects?

Oh, and I know about partially limited powers, I just wasn't sure it was legal to do that to adders.

What you want is a Naked Adder. In general, they are discouraged, but are allowed with GM's Permission.

In Hero Designer, use a Custom Power to create the Naked Adder, make sure it Costs END, and apply the Limitation to that.

Again, you wouldn't want to put your Naked Adder into a Power Framework or something like that without GM's Permission.

Thanks, I'm the GM and I'm trying to help someone else design a character who can, with great effort, teleport (up to) a car along with himself and the occupants. It seems like a reasonable effect, but I couldn't think of any standard way of building it. Guess I'll go with the limited adder. Consensus?