High End DC:TAS

Savinien

Re: High End DC:TAS

This is pretty generally side-stepped in the comics, unless it's specifically designed as a cross-over or a team-up issue. Marvel New York was overflowing with heroes and villains, but somehow Spider-Man was almost always the one to run into the Spidey-villains, etc. It was pretty rare to see the Avengers get involved in the latest gang war, even with people like Doc Ock, Hobgoblin, etc. involved.

A lot of situations can be time-sensitive. There's build up with investigation, detective work, etc. that the high-powered heroes normally aren't as good at. And when the last clue is in place, there's usually a rush to stop the plot, a hot-pursuit situation, etc. where you can't really take the time to call in and consult with the JLA.

You could even use the higher-powered heroes and villains as background and plot-openers for you. The battle between the Avengers and Masters of Evil that destroyed two city blocks could lead into an organized-crime insurance/reconstruction scam, or perhaps the destruction reveals evidence of another crime that the detectives can follow up on...

Good ideas. In this situation, the other Heroes are PCs as well, though. This campaign setting is huge, with multiple hero teams in different cities. I really like the continuity of digging into the after-effects of a big supers battle, though. That's great!

Thanks!

I'd rep you... But I have to spread some around first.

This is pretty generally side-stepped in the comics, unless it's specifically designed as a cross-over or a team-up issue. Marvel New York was overflowing with heroes and villains, but somehow Spider-Man was almost always the one to run into the Spidey-villains, etc. It was pretty rare to see the Avengers get involved in the latest gang war, even with people like Doc Ock, Hobgoblin, etc. involved.

A lot of situations can be time-sensitive. There's build up with investigation, detective work, etc. that the high-powered heroes normally aren't as good at. And when the last clue is in place, there's usually a rush to stop the plot, a hot-pursuit situation, etc. where you can't really take the time to call in and consult with the JLA.

You could even use the higher-powered heroes and villains as background and plot-openers for you. The battle between the Avengers and Masters of Evil that destroyed two city blocks could lead into an organized-crime insurance/reconstruction scam, or perhaps the destruction reveals evidence of another crime that the detectives can follow up on...

The Marvel New York really bothered/bothers me. I can suspend disbelief in that I can understand how, for dramatic/story-telling purposes, there can be "many" supers and villains in a major city (particularly a megapolis) that somehow stick to certain rivalries and "tracks", BUT the extent of the concentration in Marvel NY is just absurd. In my games I have always spread it out a lot more, and even then I feel sometimes versimullitude, even within a supers genre, is strained.

Though lately the Justice Squad has faced Flaming Carrot's old adversary, Artless Dodger, a few times. Much to FC's annoyance! ;)

Major cities are big places.

In real-life NYC, there are thousands of normal criminals and thousands of cops. Would it be too unbelievable, esp. in a fictional setting, for certain criminals to run into some cops much more often than others? Especially if their crimes fall into one "department" more than others.

Think of the JLA as a special SWAT unit, and street-level supers as Homicide, Vice, etc. detectives. They'll cross paths sometimes and complement each other in the big picture, but they usually get involved with, and handle different types of situations. They don't call in SWAT every time they bust a murder suspect. If it's a murder suspect with an automatic rifle holed up in a house with three kids held hostage, yeah.

Major cities are big places.

In real-life NYC, there are thousands of normal criminals and thousands of cops. Would it be too unbelievable, esp. in a fictional setting, for certain criminals to run into some cops much more often than others? Especially if their crimes fall into one "department" more than others.

Think of the JLA as a special SWAT unit, and street-level supers as Homicide, Vice, etc. detectives. They'll cross paths sometimes and complement each other in the big picture, but they usually get involved with, and handle different types of situations. They don't call in SWAT every time they bust a murder suspect. If it's a murder suspect with an automatic rifle holed up in a house with three kids held hostage, yeah.

Spiderman, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Avengers apparently, Punisher, a myriad others and somehow they run only against their specialized villains? Nah. At least Flash was in Central City, Batman in Gotham City, Superman in Metropolis.

The concentration AND (specifically) the coincidence of how these guys end up pairing up and the fact that Galactus doesn't trigger (for instance) a billion other supers just doesn't add up.

PS - I'd agree if the supervillains themselves were in more specialized areas, but that's not the case. Similarly, the superheroes have not nearly as specialized a set of interests. I can understand and buy that Dr. Strange is busy off in other dimensions and the F4 dealing with cosmic threats, but it starts to break down quickly after that.