Limited (restricted) Varaible Limitations?

Brandi

I noted in the FAQ that it's considered allowable to constantly assign one common limitation in a Variable Limitation setup, but what if you have a small set of common limitations that don't all occur at once?

This grew out of thinking of Frozone's powers-- he definitely has the common ice-power limitation "Will Not Work in Hot/Dry Conditions" but it looks like he can sometimes swap that out for the Side Effect "Dehydrates Self When Powers Used" (for some risk of damage). But those are the *only* two limitations and they don't occur simulataneously. Would this be treated as Variable Limitation that just happens to have two forms?

Re: Limited (restricted) Varaible Limitations?

That would be a fine way to handle that type of situation. If the character can only choose between two Limitations or among 3 or some other very small group or combination, you might consider adding an additional -1/4 to -1/2 Limitation: Can only choose from certain Limitations to fulfill the Variable Limitation requirements.

Another option might be to use a Multipower with each slot having a different Limitation with the same value (although you will not, then, be able to apply any Limitation value to the Multipower Pool).

A third way to handle this might be to take the Limitation: Power use triggers Susceptibility (see Disadvantages) under hot/dry conditions. Then define the damage or whatever other side effect he is supposed to take as a Susceptibility Disadvantage.

John H

In my games if you take Variable LImitations I want to know why, and a list of apropriate limitations. The above would definatly get a green light.

I do veer away from the official handling of the lim some, as I look at desired effect from it. In otherwords if someone wanted a Cyclops clone I would suggest Var Limitation to them (Always On, Side Effect: Blind (Eyes closed), OIF, IAF)

Variable Limitations should be F/X driven, it should not be an excuse to change to what ever limitation is easiest at this moment so you get points savings for no limitation

What about a END reserve linked to his powers called "Hydration" with a Limited Recovery modifier (must drink water)?

I've long thought END Reserves don't get their full due. This would be a great way to use an END Reserve. An END Reserve is a perfect power for any concept that requires a character to store up, or use up internal power.

IceGuy has only so much water in his BODY, ER! LightDude's powers are derviced from soaking up sunlight, ER!

END Reserve, END Reserve, he's our man.

If he can't do it...well...get charges.