Something Star Hero needs, but hasn't-PT2

Spence

Re: Something Star Hero needs, but hasn't-PT2

My stance remains, you ain't got deckplans, and this is not a way to get them quickly. Star Hero is a minority product and probably, as much as I hate to admit it, the bottom of the deck right now. They have other, more profitable products to deal with and maintain. It will be at least a year, if then, before "offical" books with deckplans could be out on the market IF they were inclined to take the financial risks to even start.

There are plenty of outside sources for starship deckplans, to cover almost every subgenrie one might be interested in. And you can, whether you are a cartographer or not, draw up your own.

You can either channel that energy to achieve your desire, or not. Demanding or complaining is not going to achieve that goal. Its that simple.

It is an understandable stance for the detail level of maps and physical characteristics of ships to not be spelled out. As unliked as it is, it comes down to being a company decision, time vs chargable price I would rekon. It has been a while, but I do not think Star Wars or other systems provided detailed design and floorplans for all their ships; many of us are spoiled by the abundance of Traveller material which has bee around a wee bit longer than SH.

Don't get me wrong; I think that TE should have a planned book on Starships which provides this level of detail (much like Gurps: Starships or the myrid of Traveller ship design supplements) but perhaps if there is no plan for HG to publish such a book, it would be in the interest of those interested to do it ourselves. For us ship geeks, there are many other books which can help understand what exactly needs to be quantified and made into formulas for TE starships. Some fancy playing with apps like CC2 Cosmo then could be planned, and we could generate our own complete TE: Starships book.

I personally have geared my game around a Traveller type environment because a) I started way before SH and TE and B) the abundance and detail of ships in Traveller. Most all the invested work, if done right, could be used for other people's campaigns which are not TE oriented, I believe.

I think such a thing could help bolster the support of TE in general, and as long as there are no realistic plans for HG to make such a book, really no conflict of interests.

-Heroman

My stance remains, you ain't got deckplans, and this is not a way to get them quickly. Star Hero is a minority product and probably, as much as I hate to admit it, the bottom of the deck right now. They have other, more profitable products to deal with and maintain. It will be at least a year, if then, before "offical" books with deckplans could be out on the market IF they were inclined to take the financial risks to even start.

There are plenty of outside sources for starship deckplans, to cover almost every subgenrie one might be interested in. And you can, whether you are a cartographer or not, draw up your own.

You can either channel that energy to achieve your desire, or not. Demanding or complaining is not going to achieve that goal. Its that simple.

And no one is disagreeing with you on using other sources and making your own.

Demanding? Complaining? [flipps through dictionary] You must be using another language. "Suggesting" and "asking to be considered" is what I have been doing. Did you read my posts?

It is an understandable stance for the detail level of maps and physical characteristics of ships to not be spelled out. As unliked as it is, it comes down to being a company decision, time vs chargable price I would rekon. It has been a while, but I do not think Star Wars or other systems provided detailed design and floorplans for all their ships; many of us are spoiled by the abundance of Traveller material which has bee around a wee bit longer than SH.

Don't get me wrong; I think that TE should have a planned book on Starships which provides this level of detail (much like Gurps: Starships or the myrid of Traveller ship design supplements) but perhaps if there is no plan for HG to publish such a book, it would be in the interest of those interested to do it ourselves. For us ship geeks, there are many other books which can help understand what exactly needs to be quantified and made into formulas for TE starships. Some fancy playing with apps like CC2 Cosmo then could be planned, and we could generate our own complete TE: Starships book.

I personally have geared my game around a Traveller type environment because a) I started way before SH and TE and B) the abundance and detail of ships in Traveller. Most all the invested work, if done right, could be used for other people's campaigns which are not TE oriented, I believe.

I think such a thing could help bolster the support of TE in general, and as long as there are no realistic plans for HG to make such a book, really no conflict of interests.

-Heroman

Back to my earlier post. "One or two deckplans". What indepth detail? Where was the need for "all their ships"? If they can put a 4"x7" map of a mall, it is technically possible to put a 4"x7" map of a ship for approx the same cost. There is really no difference, they are both scaled maps. asking that one of the future campiagn specific supplements have ONE or TWO example deckplans isn't going to increase any costs above what any other map requires. So while the next SH supp is still in the early planning stages (really really early) there isn't anything wrong with asking. But the request keeps being buried among the noise about "huge deckplan onely supplements" or "no one else did a deckplan only supp". The problem is no one asked for that. And we're back to "one or two examples". One. Or two. 1. 2.

I converted my Traveller campaign to Star Hero last year. For deckplans, I used the Traveller deckplans and just overlaid a translucent hex pattern, scaled appropriately, over them. It was a fast and easy way to get around the problem. Another virtue of this method is that there are a lot of starship deckplans to be found on the internet, and the overlay is a simple procedure. If you use CC2 for your deckplans, which a lot of people do, it gets even easier.

I converted my Traveller campaign to Star Hero last year. For deckplans' date=' I used the Traveller deckplans and just overlaid a translucent hex pattern, scaled appropriately, over them. It was a fast and easy way to get around the problem. Another virtue of this method is that there are a lot of starship deckplans to be found on the internet, and the overlay is a simple procedure. If you use CC2 for your deckplans, which a lot of people do, it gets even easier.[/quote']

I use a lot of traveller DP's myself. They are putting out new packs (or reprints) from the T site. When LUGtrek was a going concern I used the old Tech manual deckplans, plus there are several new Deckplan sets of Star Trek ships you can get. I have a DS9 Book that has fantastic DP's and layouts of the Defiant, DS9 and the Runabouts. If you sue CC2 than consider their Cosmographer add-on. It is designed to do deckplans, life gets really easy with it. I just got my copy of Fantasy Hero Battlegrounds today, actually the box was on my doorstep when I got home about 30 minutes ago. I hadn't splurged on my gaming for a while so I took advantage of two bundles and some single items. I have a stack now TA, MMM, FHB, FHG, FHG2, Until, and DC. I've only flipped through the pages, but they all look great. The maps in FHB are extremely well done. Now that I have seen it and Champs Battlegrounds, that may be the route to persue. Maybe in 2006 they might tack on Galactic Battlegrounds (or something to that effect) that could be a couple of adventures with a small station and small ship. Kinda a small all in one starter package for TE or AW.

Oh, did I say just how fast I got my order? I placed it online on Nov 28 at around 9pm. It's in my hand today. Ben and everyone who works the order and shipping side of Hero are outstanding and second to none. Thanks! :thumbup: