The Empyreans

SAW

Re: The Empyreans

Of course Spidey is nasty. Let's look at it:He's a mid-tier brick (a 45 does not represent him when he stops holding back--he's held up a collapsing apartment building before).He's got near-speedster level reflexes and has 100 mph combat movement.He's a gadgeteer.He's got a danger sense that means he's never surprised or caught off-guard.He's effectively got the ability to fly if he's in a city environment.He's almost unhittable.He's got an entangle capable of holding high-level bricks for a short while.I'd say he's really powerful. He's just not overwhelming in any one area.
Let's hear it for really powerful, really flexible characters! Which is my general design goal, but those darn point limits keep getting in the way! 350 points only go so far... :)(Do you think we're sufficiently derailed this thread?) ;)

Of course Spidey is nasty. Let's look at it:

He's a mid-tier brick (a 45 does not represent him when he stops holding back--he's held up a collapsing apartment building before).

He's got near-speedster level reflexes and has 100 mph combat movement.

He's a gadgeteer.

He's got a danger sense that means he's never surprised or caught off-guard.

He's effectively got the ability to fly if he's in a city environment.

He's almost unhittable.

He's got an entangle capable of holding high-level bricks for a short while.

I'd say he's really powerful. He's just not overwhelming in any one area.

Not to mention, for only being a high school science wiz he does really well in conversations with BIG, BIG brains (e.g. Reed Richards and Bruce Banner).

OK, I paid my shekels for DI #20, and Archon is cool and all, but am I the only one who remembers that Empyreans are supposed to have 'vast mental powers'. The UNTIL sourcebook mentions a psychic on their staff who is actually an undercover Empyrean. The official writeups: strong, tough, flies, shoots bio-energy bolts. I hope the Hidden Lands has more on Empyrean psionics.

OK' date=' I paid my shekels for DI #20, and Archon is cool and all, but am I the only one who remembers that Empyreans are supposed to have 'vast mental powers'. The UNTIL sourcebook mentions a psychic on their staff who is actually an undercover Empyrean. The official writeups: strong, tough, flies, shoots bio-energy bolts. I hope the Hidden Lands has more on Empyrean psionics.[/quote']

The actual quote is "vast and varying mental abilities." This can also apply to their knowledge and ability to excel at one particular thing. You need to think of them in the same way you would the Eternals. They are not all mentalists; in fact most seem not to be.

The actual quote is "vast and varying mental abilities." This can also apply to their knowledge and ability to excel at one particular thing. You need to think of them in the same way you would the Eternals. They are not all mentalists; in fact most seem not to be.

True, as far as I can tell, they only have one mentalist in the bunch, and she doesn't have a write-up (although apparently all the Silent Empyreans can astral project to higher realms). Let's be honest here: Archon and Thalya's mental abilities aren't even particularly impressive given that they're centuries old. I would hope that anyone could become very proficient at their hobbies given that kind of time. Their physical attributes, which are described as merely impressive, are in comparison, vast. Varying, not so much, physically Thalya and Archon are obviously similar in their abilities.

Given the description of the UNTIL mentalist, it really seems like the creators have since forgotten that Empyreans are supposed to have 'vast and varying mental abilities'. Isabelli Moroni on the other hand has varying psionic powers and it is implied that were she to cut loose, vast might be the right adjective.

Her psychic powers are described as manifestations of her Empyrean heritage. The powers UNTIL knows she has are 5d6 Telepathy, luck (or maybe invisible telekeinesis), Danger Sense, and Lightsleep (if she really sleeps at all...Thalya doesn't need to, Archon does).

Also, all Eternals have psionic abilities (plus cosmic power, body control, and 'impressive physical attributes). With varying levels of development, granted. Still, some telepathy here, some mental illusions there, making people forget, using telekinesis to increase the amount of weight they can lift...all pretty standard Eternal tricks.

Maybe Empyreans develop one area of expertise to an extreme at the expense of psionic abilities?

According to Hidden Lands, All Empyreans have a suite of basic powers (improved all-around Characteristics and Defense Powers, regeneration, Flight, Life Support, some talents), plus there are several packages that represent "typical" abilities (almost all Empyrean characters will generally have one or more of them): brick powers, mental powers, energy projection, telekinesis, matter transmutation, greater movement powers. In addition, individual empyreans will develop "signature" abilities according to personal interests: thius may represent greater development of typical powers packages, or something else, such as shapeshifting or speedster powers.

E.g. warrior Empyreans, such as Archon and Thalya, might be built with basic powers, brick and energy projection powers, and maybe telekinetic or speedster powers.

• 2 months later...