Permanently large?

Bengal

Have you ever tried playing a permanently tal or otherwise large hero? Someone large enough to have trouble fitting into a house, for instance. What was it like? What were the good parts and bad parts of such a character? What RP opportunities did it present, and which ones were harder to come by?

Re: Permanently large?

My longest standing character was Gorzubak the Gargoyle. He was a 10' tall statue of a gargoyle (complete with 16' wing span) animated by magic.

I had trouble getting into some doors and had to crawl awkwardly, a fight indoors was a recipe for property damage in most cases. He had clinging which helped but only a little due to his weight (the total of 4 levels of DI&Growth). He was the team computer expert but needed to use sticks (like chopsticks) to operate a keyboard making rush jobs impossible.

Re: Permanently large?

A lot of it is very campaign dependent.

I've observed a few campaigns that were combat-monsters, each week was another Danger Room/Arena/Sports Arena combat with no real RPing. For those campaigns, its a non-issue. There is nothing wrong with those kinds of campaigns, it's just not my cup of tea.

On the other hand my campaigns tend to involve vast amounts of noncombat tmie. There are many times I wonder if the value of those disads is actually undervalued. A character that is 10' tall is going to be almost functionally limited to outdoors. No normal structure will be able to accomodate them; no normal vehicle will support them. Imagine never being able to go to the Tesco, the Starbucks, the Kentucky Fried Chicken. Large characters have a real problem in that their weight usually increases along with their height. I hope you like to take the stairs, since most elevators (even if you can get inside them) will not accomodate your weight. I've seen it become such a problem that I urge players to not be too functionality tall all the time, it just causes too many problems.