Growth Momentum!!!

WalkerGrae

I was toying with a character concept this weekend based on the animated superhero (tongue-in-cheek) The Tick. Basically a brick with 60 Strength, high Con, and lots of defense. I thought maybe I'd call it "The Flea" and was thinking of throwing in some extra Leaping and maybe Shrinking. I wrote in 60 pts Shrinking (he's The Flea after all), deleted the +38" Leaping in favor of x8 non-combat leaping because the 12" base Leaping from 60 Str and the +18" when shrunk seemed quite adequate. That's when I remembered something about added damage when a shrunk character delivers an uppercut while growing back to normal. You can imagine my suprise when my eyes lit on the paragraph Growth Momentum and the sentance that says +1d6/pt of DCV gained from being shrunk. Hmm . . . 60 Str equals 12d6 plus +12 DCV equals +12d6 for a grand total of . . . 24d6!!! YIKES! Somehow I don't see this construct being ratified for play by the average GM. Or am I wrong in this assumption?

Re: Growth Momentum!!!

I was toying with a character concept this weekend based on the animated superhero (tongue-in-cheek) The Tick. Basically a brick with 60 Strength' date=' high Con, and lots of defense. I thought maybe I'd call it "The Flea" and was thinking of throwing in some extra Leaping and maybe Shrinking. I wrote in 60 pts Shrinking (he's The Flea after all), deleted the +38" Leaping in favor of x8 non-combat leaping because the 12" base Leaping from 60 Str and the +18" when shrunk seemed quite adequate. That's when I remembered something about added damage when a shrunk character delivers an uppercut while growing back to normal. You can imagine my suprise when my eyes lit on the paragraph [b']Growth Momentum[/b] and the sentance that says +1d6/pt of DCV gained from being shrunk. Hmm . . . 60 Str equals 12d6 plus +12 DCV equals +12d6 for a grand total of . . . 24d6!!! YIKES! Somehow I don't see this construct being ratified for play by the average GM. Or am I wrong in this assumption?
I've found Shrinking to be a very dangerous power, simply because of the ridiculous DCV bonuses you get. YMMV.I once had a character with Shrinking that was similar (he used Flight instead of Leaping, but basically the same idea). The concept was that he didn't lose any mass when he shrunk, so he had all the effects of Density Increase bought as Linked CHAR to his Shrinking. When fully Shrunk, he was only 45 STR. Favorite attack was a Move Through.Growth Momentum wasn't the problem. Being extremely tough AND extremely hard to hit was the problem. He only lost one fight the whole time I played him, and that was because a clever VIPER agent used a 1-hex AE Entangle just strong enough to hold him. They piled several more Entangles on top and escaped.I had to quit playing the character because he was broken. So, no, I would not be inclined to allow such a construct if I were the GM. But that's just because of my experience.

"The assumption is correct. Just put a -1/4 limitation [No Growth Momentum] on the shrinking power and you should be fine."

Thanks MitchellS, I considered using just that limitation but wasn't sure what the value would be. -1/4 sounds about right and would counterbalance the +1/4 Only Costs End to Active Advantage already applied.

More comments welcome.

When did this change from +1d6 per level shrunk to +1/DCV gained? I missed another change!

For me, the issue has always been that growth momentum allows one attack to hit harder, but you're now full-size until your next phase. The easiest fixup is, as noted, "No Growth Momentum" for -1/4.