Magic and Skill Rolls

Greatwyrm

I'm a little confused about how some Rule of X limits on skill levels interact with other things that can raise your roll. I'm specifically looking at how it would affect skills used for spellcasting, if that matters.

For example, let's say I've set a limit of 13- for skill rolls for starting characters. So, Bob the Wizard buys Necromancy up to 13-. His uncle gives him a Widget of Magical Potency that gives +2 to magic skill rolls. Can he now use 15- as the roll or should he still be limited by that original 13-?

Re: Magic and Skill Rolls

It depends on how far along in the adventure you are. You said the limit was for starting characters so anything they find along the way or use of exp doesn't count right?

If your players is trying to buy the item during character creation I'd just say no.

The other thing to consider is whether you really want to handing out such an item in the first place. Giving it charges would help to reduce it's power.

Re: Magic and Skill Rolls

If you (the GM) give him a gadget with +2 to the roll, he's got a 15-. If he's building a magic item inherited from his uncle, you are perfectly in your right to say no.

Keep in mind that a starting cap is to keep the initial build in line. After that, what you need is a progression guideline. Saying a character can NEVER raise his skill above 13- is unrealistic, but having guidelines on how they can spend points is realistic... things like they can increase a skill roll by +1 every 3-5 adventures is perfectly logical. Or saying that without divine intervention, no human(oid) can raise his skill roll above 18- (which is above the starting cap) is also reasonable, depending on the campaign.

So my two cents is to develop your campaign skill progression guidelines, as well as the starting cap. And just keep that in mind when deciding what treasure they get or magical items they can buy. It'll help keep things from getting out of hand.