Creating Races

AndrewD2

I'm working on setting up a Sci-Fi campaign from a custom universe based of a novel that I'm an editor for. I've been given permission by the author to write a the characters and races and such for use in this campaign.

What I'm looking for is help creating the races, well ideas of what to do. From what I've read, you don't see power's in Packaged Deals, but each of these races have a specific power. Like there's one race where every member of it can teleport, and another that can drain life force from another being as long as it can see it's eyes.

Any ideas would be great, I can give more details if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Re: Creating Races

You don't normally see powers in package deals, and the rules recommend you don't allow them.

However, that is just a guideline. If everyone in the race always has the same power at the same level, then it should be in a package deal for that race.

If it is at different levels, then you might want to create more than one package.

What you could also do, which is suggested in Fantasy Hero for Magic - is to have an aptitude Talent. Create a Talent specific for the race, such as "Natural Teleporter", and include that in the race package deal. What the Talent does, is allow the player to spend points on the approved power combination associated for the race. That way they can vary the points spent and the power of the racial power.

Similar to "30 points of magic spells" in FH packages.

You also need to specify in the setting that you can't buy these particular powers unless you have the correct Talent for it.

Re: Creating Races

There are several races who have powers in Terran Empire [Varanyi being the biggest example]. My own game will have a few like the Mu'Jar who are a four-armed race with jedi-like abilities. The genre is full of aliens with powers [vulcans, betazoid, etc.]. There is no problem with giving these races powers as long as it does not make them all 300 point characters in a 150 point game.