Enemy Within with FH

swobeas

:help: Hi!

I am about to GM the famous Warhammer Campaign The Enemy Within. I don't want to use all the work Killer Shrike or midhir( correct nick? I don't remember exactly) has done with their transformation tables from Warhammer to Hero System. I rather want to look if the foe is a Ork for example, then I will use the Ork given in Monsters, Minions and Maraudeurs. If the Heros face a bandit, I want to take ready writeup also...

No my question:

Has anyone experience with that kind of dealing with the situation, how did it work and most important with how many points did you start with and how many experience points should the heros have at the end of each book (i want to play all 5 of them)?

greets from berlin

:cheers:

swobeas

Guest joen00b

Re: Enemy Within with FH

I've not actually ran my game yet, I am still building the players characters and introducing them to HERO (virgins, the lot of them!). I'm going with 125 point characters, give them a little more juice than a standard campaign (still may be bumping to 150), but looking at MMM, Orcs are VERY underpowered. AS I recall, they were like 38 points, with rules in the back of the book for upgraded versions.

What I've realized is these 38 point monsters with a 1d6 HKA have a dang good chance of killing a 125-150 point character in one well placed swipe (if using hit location stun multipliers). I am stuck with the quandary of wanting to point match critters against my heroes to give them a 'good, hard won battle', but then again, one orc with a bit of luck in the dice rolls could clean up on a group because HKA's are the great equalizer.

I would call this a GM's choice in using them straight from the book, or actually beefing them up. I am going to playtest some battles with my new players so they know how battle works, will begin to understand how the numbers on the page translate to the characters depth and (most importantly) the toughness of the critters against the group and how deadly they can be.

In other words: I would do a bit of mock battles to get a feel for it and adjust accordingly. If all else fails, ask the walking lexicon of HERO knowledge: Killershrike, and he'll give you the exact parameters to work under (I know you didn't want to borrow his work, but it is the best material out there for this type of stuff).

I'm afraid I don't actually have the firsthand experience you're looking for. :( If you don't mind a tangential suggestion, though, another of our fellow board members, Xandarr, has extensively converted the material from Warhammer into 5E HERO System, including most of the NPCs from published adventures. The file with all those conversions can be dowloaded from here, and The Enemy Within is one of them. Having those stats handy could save you a lot of prep time.

I hope that helps. :)

One thing to remember when running a scenario with a different game system is that many times there are different assumptions made about the relative power of the characters in relation to specific foes. In some games, a single orc is meant to be a reasonable foe for a single PC, whereas in other games a single orc is a mere nuisance for a single PC. Simply using pre-packaged writeups from a Hero resource may not properly translate the intended power level of the WFRP encounter.